Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Rapey Eyes said:

Cheers Hannibal and Johnnyboy

Reveal hidden contents

I thought the film was pretty horrendous. I've really enjoyed the last couple of films but this was crazy. Setting the film up using the starting credits was really lazy, and could easily have been covered in the last film. Which reminds me the end of the last film about the boy using the force to get the broom seems totally wasted.

I hated Hux being the spy, that was probably the stupidest part of the entire film.

I hated Fin not declaring his feelings for Rey.

I hated Leia being a jedi, when did that happen? Oddly, I didn't think using old footage of Leia was that bad, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time, I'm sure I'll hate that too when I watch it again.

I hated a lot of it actually. Adam Driver has saved this series with his acting.

God I am gonna die on this hill I know it

Hux made perfect sense. He has never liked Kylo. He even tried to kill him in the last film, before realizing he was conscious. He didn't want to help them necessarily, but he didn't want Ren to. Reminds me a little bit of why people voted in the general election!

Leia has always been a jedi, of course she has. And her sensing things is even referenced in ROTJ. She just never properly trained. But they have ignored a lot about TLJ, so i'll agree with you there. The last shot with broom boy, I think was to evidence that whilst we hear about Jedi's and Sith's, it is clear that there are many more that have the force or are force sensative (also, see Finn). But look, I get why people don't like it, and have issues for sure, but having re-watched the previous 8 films, this latest trilogy is still miles better then that shit Lucas put out between 99 and 05. And the fact people, and I am talking those who grew up in the 70's and 80's really, defend the acting and stories in those films over this trilogy blows my mind 

Force Awakens is the best in the trilogy imo and it's basically just a remake of A New Hope.

Rise feels like a huge panic attack at times.

It'll make a fuck load of money though and the fandom will flock to the next movie regardless.

Edit.

The prequels are weird. Like objectively they are bad movies but I just can't bring myself to completely hate them for long and always end up giving them another watch once in a while.

Edited by The King Of Swing

I bloody loved that. A mess, but a glorious one. There are bad bits, fantastic bits and bits that you groan at, just like with every Star Wars films, but I came out of that delighted, and the time flew by. It's also, I feel, the film with the best dialogue, some of the interplay was cracking. It's also, as expected gorgeous. The scenes on the choppy seas just *chefs kiss*

Adam Driver gets plaudits as he is fucking great, but the heartbeat and the backbone of the film is Daisy Ridley. She is excellent. She has really grown into the role and she nails this.

I would also fuck Oscar Isaac until the cows came home, the sexy bastard.

• Paid Members

It's a disaster.

Disney and Abrams shit themselves because of racists and 47 year old crybabies, gave them what they want, and undid everything that was great about The Last Jedi. I hope it fucking tanks. But I'm delighted for Rian Johnson that he was proved absolutely right with what he did.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It's a disaster.

Disney and Abrams shit themselves because of racists and 47 year old crybabies, gave them what they want, and undid everything that was great about The Last Jedi. I hope it fucking tanks. But I'm delighted for Rian Johnson that he was proved absolutely right with what he did.

What did you think about The Force Awakens?

After The Last Jedi (Which I hated on first watch, but have appreciated on further watches), and the even better Knives Out, I would be inclined to give the reigns of that new trilogy to Rian Johnson and let Johnny Favs and Dave Filoni take over Star Wars entirely after Kathleen Kenedy steps down which I reckon will happen in the next few months. Their Mandalorian show has shown that these two get it. It is still better then most of the films in the series of 9 regardless.

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What did you think about The Force Awakens?

I really liked it. As a bridge between the original trilogy and a new one, it worked very well. Reintroduced old characters sensibly, didn't overuse them, and brought in some good new faces.

Playing the same fan service and recycling of ideas ticket for the final film in the saga was completely stupid though. Somebody posted on my review that it was "probably the strongest example of studio cowardice ever" and they're right.

It's extremely worrying that far and away the most progressive film in the whole saga, and easily the best one outside of episodes 4 to 6, is now seen as the 'experiment gone wrong' and that this felt little more than an attempt to retcon what Rian Johnson did with it.

I bet George Lucas loves it though.

thinking back on it now, I still dislike the film. 

Who/why does Palpatine have so many followers? Where were all the other ships in the prequels, why did they just turn up cause Calrisian said so? Why did we never hear of Leia’s training before this film? How did they just get away at the end of the last film? The knights of Ren were totally pointless. Why did the woman with the funny face just start snogging someone at the end of the film. Why did Rey kiss Ben? It seemed a bit out of place. I really hope I like it when I watch it second time around. 

• Paid Members

@Devon MalcolmI bet old grumpy George doesn't because he thinks his ideas were not used. And I am not sure if I have said it before, but he is the Vince Russo of Hollywood Directors. He struck lucky with some good ideas, but when he was left to run things on his own with no filter, we got the prequels.

At the same time, I think they should have let JJ have these three films and got Rian and Colin to develop their own films outside of this Saga. As I said, I am all up for my Rian Johnson creativeness, maybe their mistake was letting that experiment happen in the main saga upsetting all those fans. They call themselves the Fandom Menance. But I just call them cunts.

@Rapey Eyes [spoilers] I assumed they were all dead siths. Just like their used to be loads of Jedis back in the day. They talked in the film about the lack of hope. We have seen in all the previous films that people hid away, knowing they would be fighting a losing battle because of strength in numbers. I see nothing wrong with that. Leia's training took place after Jedi and stopped when she was pregnant. When would it have been referenced? The rest of your comments make you seem about 12 years old so I am not even responding to them. Fucking hell [/spoiler]

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

26 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I assumed they were all dead siths. Just like their used to be loads of Jedis back in the day. They talked in the film about the lack of hope. We have seen in all the previous films that people hid away, knowing they would be fighting a losing battle because of strength in numbers. I see nothing wrong with that. Leia's training took place after Jedi and stopped when she was pregnant. When would it have been referenced? The rest of your comments make you seem about 12 years old so I am not even responding to them. Fucking hell

Sorry to be disrespectful, i should have said why did Amanda Lawrence’s character start snogging someone at the end, it did seem odd.

In my opinion some of the backstory was convenient, and I’m not sure I could just accept it. I’ve enjoyed all of the Star Wars to date, but I know a lot of Star Wars fans who hate them for plot holes, not being Star Warsy enough. Maybe this is Star Warsy, it’s just not my cup of tea, and I felt like slagging it off, it cost me £11 to see it :)

• Paid Members

@johnnyboy that’s exactly why John Favreau and Dave Filoni need to take over. He’s done a great job with the animated series, Favreau has done a great job with him on the series, plus it stops him directing any more Disney live action remakes. Win win