Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Anyone doing either a midnight screening of Rise or a 7-9 triple bill?

Me and a mate are doing the triple bill. We worked out we don’t have time to actually have a rewatch of 7 and 8 or even see Rise of Skywalker before 2020 so thankfully work schedules are allowing late starts for us on Thursday. And someone would spoil it so the midnight showing was a must anyway. At least there’s parts of The Last Jedi that will make for an extended stretch of the legs and avoid numb bum. 

Edited by TheBurningRed

• Paid Members

I think they're all on Sky Cinema, so may try and give them a watch next week and try to go and see Rise Of Skywalker as well at some point. I'm debating whether to stick Rogue One in between Revenge Of The Sith and A New Hope.

• Paid Members

Thankfully my son's school is an 8 minute walk to the cinema, so were dropping off my daughter at her school, whizzing round to drop my son of at his school. Leaving the car there and going to the 9 am IMAX screening. I'd have done midnight, but it's sort of become mine and my wife's thing. She's not even a massive fan, but going to the London premier of Revenge of the Sith and watching 1-6 in a day was one of the last things I did with her Dad before the Dementia/MND really kicked in, so she's kind of keeping that tradition going.

I am a bit nervous, even though the trailers have looked great. I just bought Issues 1-4 of Star Wars Allegiance, which looks to be a tie in that I am going to read in anticipation. 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members

Just rewatched Revenge of the Sith. It's the best of the prequels and it's still a shockingly bad film. Most of it is characters aimlessly walking around blandly explaining the plot and character motivations. And the ending lightsabre battle is absolute shite. Great music though, of course.

The real tragedy of the prequels is the core story and setting is really interesting and a good story but they are just so utterly terribly made. At least the fairly decent Clone Wars series managed to retcon enough of the prequels to not make them feel like a total waste.

The first few reactions following the US premiere seem positive and a few mentions of some fan-service cameos. I'm hoping that Ahmed Best being on the red carpet wasn't just for the new Disney+ series he's doing and that Jar Jar makes an appearance. I will literally fucking cheer in my seat if he turns up.

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

The first few reactions following the US premiere seem positive and a few mentions of some fan-service cameos. I'm hoping that Ahmed Best being on the red carpet wasn't just for the new Disney+ series he's doing and that Jar Jar makes an appearance. I will literally fucking cheer in my seat if he turns up.

Isn't Rise of Skywalker set some 60+ years after Phantom Menance? So either Jar Jar shows up looking really old, or Ahmed Best does a PSA at the end of the film about the importance of not drinking and driving.

Going Friday morning at half 9. I have successfully avoided all trailers and TV spots so really looking forward to it, but at the end of the day, it’s only a film. Hopefully it’s good but if it’s disappointing, I’ll get over it and quickly move on with my life.

I don’t understand how people get “nervous” or worry that it’s going to be shit, like it could ruin all the joy the series has bought them over the years. Different level of fandom I guess. It’s just a kids film to me.

• Paid Members

I just can't get on with any Star Wars film after the original three. They just seem so sterile and lack the magic of old ones. I'm not sure if it's just that I'm an old, miserable bastard these days or what(OK, Boomer, etc), and I'll catch up with them someday(still not watched TLJ or Solo) but I don't think they are for me anymore. The Disney+ Mandalorian series however, I really did enjoy.

The reviews are mixed and I'm worried it's going to be complete fan service or dogshit. It's a franchise that I've grown up with and have invested in games and literature surrounding the series and am hoping for a payoff. 

I think everybody has their own interpretation of characters and what will happen so when something doesn't go to plan people get pissy.

I've got 2 full teaching days left before I see it and am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.