Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

Just got back. Quite simply, that feeling when you really fancy an Indian and you go overboard on the sides and extras and still eat it but end up being a fat bloated mess even though it's what you thought you wanted... Yeah, this film is that.

Enjoyable but with plenty of plot holes and fodder for the fan boys it confirms one thing - they should have left it at 3 films. 

3/5 parsecs 

It's just not a good film.  

The pacing of the first hour is terrible.  A different location, plot point and character every 5 minutes.  No time to breathe, no character development, no exploring the locations.  No charm, just new toy lines.

The plot  is hugely over complex. They could have told the story without any of the first hour, pretty much. And the cameos are super clunky in the main and just take the focus away from the main characters, some of whom basically do nothing in this film.

It's probably Abrams worst film.

• Paid Members
On 12/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, LaGoosh said:

Poor Kelly Marie Tran. Gets unfairly abused by racist morons for months then basically cut out of the next movie. She's been completely fucked over.

What was even worse about what little screentime she got in this is that you could tell that Abrams just didn't want her in this at all. She does absolutely nothing of any importance or note. I genuinely can't think of a film-to-film demotion as bad as this. It's the biggest clue of all about who they wanted to aim this film at. I really hope she gets a ton of good roles after what she's been through.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator
11 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What was even worse about what little screentime she got in this is that you could tell that Abrams just didn't want her in this at all. She does absolutely nothing of any importance or note. I genuinely can't think of a film-to-film demotion as bad as this. It's the biggest clue of all about who they wanted to aim this film at. I really hope she gets a ton of good roles after what she's been through.

I’d like to see her do a comedy - her background was in improv* when she got the TLJ part so I’d reckon she’d be really funny given the chance.

*I quite liked this film and also consider improv to be comedy. I apologise?

• Awards Moderator

There’s enough of a hint in the Lando/Jannah convo at the end that they could turn it into something if they wanted.

Plumbing The Death Star have done a great episode discussing the film - they’re pretty much on the same lines as me with it which is “I liked the movie, but also fuck the movie”. They liked the bits I liked, their issues are my issues. We also both love Babu Frik! I recommend giving it a listen.

Lando should get his own movie, I thought that was the most interesting moment of the whole film.  Billy Dee Williams is 82 though, he might not be up for a whole film.  Maybe Finn and his now-race-appropriate girlfriend can carry it.

Edited by Loki