Jump to content

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, The King Of Swing said:

Clones had Christopher Lee in it.

Wins by default.

He was also back for Revenge of the Sith so on that basis, clones is the worst. I rewatched them all again recently and AOTC is the worst by a country mile

Posted (edited)

Yeah Clones is a fucking mess. The other two prequels are actually pretty good, but Clones is all over the place with career worst performances from almost everyone in it.

Edited by Pinc
  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)

Went for a third viewing of Rise Of Skywalker this morning. Each time I see it my list of issues with it gets smaller, and my list of things I like about it gets bigger. It’s not without problems but I really like it now!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Posted

I don't get to do IMAX very often as I generally avoid 3D movies but got to see this today in 2D. What an experience.

Firstly the Tenet prologue which I'm hyped for.

Then just everything about this movie. The score gives me chills every time. I loved the story. I thought they really tied everything up well. I'm not one for overthinking things too much with a movie like this. I genuinely enjoyed it and a wonderful cinema experience.

Posted
On 1/4/2020 at 9:44 AM, Pinc said:

The other two prequels are actually pretty good,

Phantom Menace is studied in film schools as how to not make a film.  It's an abomination.  Clones probably has the worse performances but in no universe is Phantom "pretty good". 

  • Paid Members
Posted

The Phantom Menace may still be the most disappointing film I've ever seen. After adoring Star Wars films as a kid, finally getting to see one during its initial release - and that's why Lucas comes up with. It's amazingly boring.

Posted

Ah no film with the Pod Race and the Duel of the Fates could be called boring. It’s clearly flawed but there’s lots of enjoyable set pieces and the world building is great. Roger Ebert gave it the 3.5 out of 4.

  • Paid Members
Posted
19 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Ah no film with the Pod Race and the Duel of the Fates could be called boring. It’s clearly flawed but there’s lots of enjoyable set pieces and the world building is great. Roger Ebert gave it the 3.5 out of 4.

Roger Ebert also gave Blue Velvet 1 star. I also don't care what Roger Ebert thought.

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

The Pod race is fucking stupid because the stakes and scenario are so dumb. A child slave must win an insane suicidal race to get the spare parts required to fix the spaceship of some old guy he just met but if he loses the ship will be essentially stranded forever...and also the old man is secretly betting on him to win his freedom from slavery but didn't bother including his mother who will remain a slave regardless. Also this old man is a jedi knight who's entire point is to fight for and protect freedom, peace and justice but doesn't seem too bothered about slavery for some reason. 

Yeah, I don't like the prequels. 

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted

I've got a real soft spot for The Phantom Menace. I was 14 when it came out and loved it in the cinema as it was the first new Star Wars in forever but gradually grew to hate it as we overwatched the VHS. Over time I've grown to appreciate it for what it is, a two hour council meeting with a great lightsaber fight, Duel Of The Fates, droidikas and a great podrace scene. It's got it's flaws but it's decent fun.

I'll add that I'm also the proud owner of a Jar Jar Binks mug and will occasionally shout "This is pod racing" when I do some good overtaking in the car so maybe take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The Pod race is fucking stupid because the stakes and scenario are so dumb.

There's also the fact that it wasn't very exciting in the first place and has now dated appallingly.

  • Paid Members
Posted

I will admit though that the Duel of Fates is an outstanding fight. The bit where Qui-Gonn is meditating while Maul paces around like a pissed off lion is one of those wonderful little throwaway character moments that really adds depth and reality but sadly it's the only one of those throughout the entire prequel trilogy. It's a shame Lucas decided to go full over the top with the lightsabre fights in Clones and Sith. The end one in Sith is particularly dreadful and unbelievably dumb.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...