Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I will admit though that the Duel of Fates is an outstanding fight. The bit where Qui-Gonn is meditating while Maul paces around like a pissed off lion is one of those wonderful little throwaway character moments that really adds depth and reality but sadly it's the only one of those throughout the entire prequel trilogy. It's a shame Lucas decided to go full over the top with the lightsabre fights in Clones and Sith. The end one in Sith is particularly dreadful and unbelievably dumb.

You've got young Obi Wan getting increasingly frustrated too who then goes leathering in to Maul after Qui-Gon gets lasershanked.

• Paid Members

So I went to my second viewing earlier today. I enjoyed it a lot more this time around without my huge hopes/expectations and knowing that it was a very flawed film going in.

The film is flawed. There isn't any denying it, but it's also fun. There's loads of plot that makes no sense whatsoever and other aspects of the story I massively dislike but the film never forgets that it needs to be fun. Compare this to the prequels which just carry an air of dull depression throughout.

It's a beautiful film. Some of the shots and images are truly magnificent. 

Adam Driver and Daisy Ridley are brilliant and hold the whole thing together. When the plot is creaking and you feel like everything is turning to shit, they anchor it. John Boyega is pretty bad in this one though.

There's definitely a good movie in here somewhere. I feel like with just a handful of story changes this would have been more satisfying. I've come up with a better ending if anyone's interested(?!)).

You can feel how rushed the production was. There are loose threads all over the place. Plot points and character beats that go nowhere or are completely at odds with everything else. In some of the action scenes it feels like shots are missing. The thing has an air of "we don't have much time so lets film as much as possible and work it out in the edit, oh shit we don't have time for pickups either".

The Palpatine relation is still BULLSHIT. As is the fucking over of Rose. And C3PO getting his memories back. Don't get me fucking started on Snoke in a test tube.

The death star lightsabre fight is brilliant in every way, except the odd ending (I've also come up with a better ending for that).

Babu Frink is great. BD-1 is not. In fact there's too many pointless characters in this. 

The film should be 20-30 minutes longer. Give scenes a chance to breath and land properly, slow things down a tad,  develop the characters and story more.

I could nitpick everything in it tbh and might post some more thoughts later. But I definitely came out of my first viewing very disappointed but my second viewing I feel a bit happier. The films not great by any means, but there's plenty to enjoy. 

And, ofcourse, John Williams smashes it for the ninth time.

• Paid Members

@LaGoosh there have been plenty of rumours over the last few days of the problems in post. How many are true or not I don’t know, but include JJ being told the film had to be less then 3 hours, George Lucas coming in for editing advice (I don’t believe that, if the prequels teach us anything it’s the man doesn’t know how to trim things down), Matt Smiths entire story arc being scrapped, more Rose footage. Rumours of a possibly extended cut re-release, directors cut on Blu Ray and an even longer version on Disney+. Be interesting to see how many are true.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

The film should be 20-30 minutes longer. Give scenes a chance to breath and land properly, slow things down a tad,  develop the characters and story more.

Fucking hell man, are you a sucker for punishment!  The film needs to be 30 minutes shorter - the first 30 minutes basically.  If you've not developed your characters properly by film 9 in a series, it's too late.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Loki said:

Fucking hell man, are you a sucker for punishment!  The film needs to be 30 minutes shorter - the first 30 minutes basically.  If you've not developed your characters properly by film 9 in a series, it's too late.

Ha, fair point. I think they should cut 20 minutes of shite and replace it with 20 good minutes of decent stuff. 

• Paid Members

The problem with Kelly Marie Tran's role in TROS was not just the lack of screen time but her lack of relevance. She'd gone from being one of the pivotal characters in TLJ to having absolutely nothing to do in this. Just putting her on screen more isn't answering why Abrams cut her importance down so significantly in TROS. She still, most likely, won't be especially important in the #JJCut

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

They could have cut Zorra and Jannah and basically had Rose fill their (also mostly pointless) roles in the story.

It’s been confirmed that Jannah is Lando’s daughter (he wasn’t hitting on her you wrong-uns) and some of that was cut from the film as well, which is why she served more of a purpose then would seem.

why would you want less Kerri Russel? Those eyes....

@HarmonicGenerator a villain of some kind, but I’ve not seen any details of whom. I have heard he was possibly involved with the eventual Knights of Ren which suggests a flashback role of that was the case 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Shit, I forgot Matt Smith was supposed to be in this. Who was he meant to be? Do we know?

As long as it wasn't fucking Doctor Who, I don't care.