Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

Trailer for the new show The Acolyte is out. 2 episode premier in June. Visually it looks fairly generic but I'm definitely intrigued. Anything Star Wars that doesn't have Filoni/Favreau's shitty hands on it has my interest. I'm still genuinely shocked at how mind bogglingly terrible Book of Boba Fett, Obi Wan, Mando season 3 and Ahsoka were. Just the fact that it's coming from someone with their own singular narrative vision and it won't be tied in with all the other bollocks means it actually has a chance to be something good. And that it's taking place in a time period the films/TV shows haven't ever explored is quite exciting. 

It's all been pretty terrible, hasn't it!  Considering it's all filmed in The Volume at the cutting edge of technology the series all look pretty awesome, and great world building, but the pacing and writing is almost uniformly bad.

It's an issue with TV generally.  The best TV format is the 45 minute standalone episode - so a story that starts and finishes in the same episode.  It was perfected over decades, and you can look at say Star Trek, or Law and Order, or ER or whatever to see how it works.  Even great, groundbreaking series like The Sopranos stick fairly much to this formula.

Once you start to get away from those restrictions, I think it actually becomes a lot harder.  If every episode is 1hr, 1hr15 and they are all meant to be chapters in an ongoing story, there's just so much.... time to fill.  And it makes TV really drag.  Recent stuff like Lord Of The Rings, the Star Wars stuff, The Witcher suffers so much from this.  It's just.. boring.  Writing a 10-hour long film divided into 10 parts is a lot harder than writing 24 45 minute stories.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan but I have to say, out of the new trilogy, Force Awakens was passable if derivative, TLJ bored me to tears and I didn't bother with the last one. However, I am quietly optimistic about The Acolyte, even if a lot of the "fans" are angrily sharting themselves to death over it being "woke", whatever the hell that means nowadays.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, CharlesTuckerTheThird said:

...even if a lot of the "fans" are angrily sharting themselves to death over it being "woke", whatever the hell that means nowadays.

Made by a gay woman in this instance.

Phantom Menace 25th anniversary re-release at the cinema went onsale today for the May 4th weekend.

Edited by johnnyboy