Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Awards Moderator

Stunning show. What a finale. Fiona Shaw, even in hologram, had me punching the air and wanting to hit a fascist with a brick. The Empire have never looked so ruthless and yet weak - like Nemik’s brilliant manifesto said. The mid-credits scene confirming what a lot of us thought.

And my wife discovered that the light brown ISB trench coat is almost identical to one she has, so she’s said she’ll be dressing as Dedra to Star Wars Celebration next year. I guess that makes me Karn.

I don’t know how I’ll wait two years for season 2 but I’ll wait as long as it takes if it means a second run of episodes as great as these.

What were everyone’s top moments from the show as a whole? I switch between Trevor’s “shit, SHIT!” during the Ferrix escape, Anton Lesser being the ultimate twat bureaucrat, the whole Aldhani heist, Serkis’ expression during “never more than twelve”, “one way out”, the ratcheting of tension throughout the whole prison break (and preceding it - “on program!”), the gutpunch of “I can’t swim”, Skarsgard and Whitaker Doing Some Proper Acting, Luthen’s episode 10 monologue, B2 breaking my heart when he wanted Maarva, and the entire funeral set piece in the finale.

What a show!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What were everyone’s top moments from the show as a whole? I switch between Trevor’s “shit, SHIT!” during the Ferrix escape, Anton Lesser being the ultimate twat bureaucrat, the whole Aldhani heist, Serkis’ expression during “never more than twelve”, “one way out”, the ratcheting of tension throughout the whole prison break (and preceding it - “on program!”), the gutpunch of “I can’t swim”, Skarsgard and Whitaker Doing Some Proper Acting, Luthen’s episode 10 monologue, B2 breaking my heart when he wanted Maarva, and the entire funeral set piece in the finale.

The heist was my favourite story arc. I loved the Imperial mole, such a great character. When he was told he would be hanged for what he's done and he replied "All I've done for the Empire...I deserve much worse". The writing and dialogue all round was not just excellent Star Wars but probably the best writing on TV all year.

I generally love how understated Andor is as a character. Just quiet, simmering rage. There was a cracking scene of him entering the prison and you can see him wordlessly taking in every detail of his surroundings - already looking for weaknesses to escape. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Brilliant episode to end a brilliant series. The funeral procession scenes in Rix Road were so tense, every fucker that wanted Andor dead - the nazi woman, Stellan Skarsgard, Big Trev and Syril - all there waiting for him to show his face. The guy that looked like he's from Nick Love films battering everyone with Mama Andor's brick was ace.

26 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What were everyone’s top moments from the show as a whole?

The look of happiness on Trev and Syril Karn's faces when they thought they got Andor, then watch it change after he got away, was incredible. I need a gif of Trev's smile during that. 

And also the entire One Way Out episode. Fucking superb. Love the fact that you can split the series into Ferrix, Aldhani, Narkina 5 and return to Ferrix. Almost like 4 mini series' cobbled together. 

Wasn't overly interested in the Mon Mothma and Patrick from Coupling scenes, but understand they serve a greater purpose given her role in the rebel alliance later on. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

What were everyone’s top moments from the show as a whole?

There's so many, and I'm sure even more I've forgotten. Alongside the ones mentioned I'll put two from the finale:
Andor's conversation with Luthen - to Goosh's point about his eyes always looking for a way out this was such a great inverse of that. He's not looking for a way out, he's not looking for an escape. He's all in and his eyes are so full of emotion and focused directly on Luthen almost the entire time.

and then Syril's Han Solo style rescue of Daedra and her full-body shaking, this equal mix of disgust and like she might kiss him and his smug little smirk at being the hero in the moment. Just fantastically toxic. I'm obsessed. If you haven't seen it, this fancam from a few episodes ago had me losing it: https://www.tiktok.com/@patrickhwillems/video/7161835913016773930

There's not one character I dislike, which is odd considering the size of the series. So so so good.

I think Mothma wins best character for me and I love the way her story is fleshed out from her limited appearance in the original trilogy. 

The complete lack of fan service is so refreshing. Filoni is clearly not needed as much as people think. 

When I die, I want to be turned into a brick which is used to smash fascists in the face. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Finished the Book of Boba Fett and Andor over the last week. Both brilliant in their own right with fun crescendos. The amount of soap-star appearances in Andor is interesting. Perhaps they're all inter-connected within the same multi-verse? Makes you think. 

Kenobi up next. Heard mixed reviews but I'll reserve judgement. Hello there!

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Finished the Book of Boba Fett and Andor over the last week. Both brilliant in their own right

angry clint eastwood GIF

I can't think of many things I've found more annoying and frustrating to watch than that Boba Fett show. I probably would have enjoyed it when I was a kid though.

Rewatching Andor at the moment. Still can't believe something Star Wars has such absolutely incredible razor sharp dialogue. Just a joy watching characters talk in this.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

angry clint eastwood GIF

I can't think of many things I've found more annoying and frustrating to watch than that Boba Fett show. I probably would have enjoyed it when I was a kid though.

Rewatching Andor at the moment. Still can't believe something Star Wars has such absolutely incredible razor sharp dialogue. Just a joy watching characters talk in this.

What didn't you like about it out of interest? Apart from the switching to what was basically an encore to Mandalorian for an episode and a bit, I really dug it. 

The Andor dialogue is just magnificent. You notice the difference even more when matching it up against the older Star Wars films. 

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Book of Boba Fett too. It picked up a lot when Big Match Mando rocked up, but it was still good from start to finish. Good old Star Wars caper.

Obi Wan Kenobi on the other hand, yeah. That was hugely underwhelming. 

Andor was fucking superb.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

What didn't you like about it out of interest? Apart from the switching to what was basically an encore to Mandalorian for an episode and a bit, I really dug it. 

Terribly written, terrible pointless story filled with vapid characters that had no personality or believable motivation whatsoever, badly directed with the worst action scenes in any Star Wars by far. Felt like it was made by a Reddit group. The whole thing looked cheap. I hated everything about it. The only enjoyable bits were basically Mandalorian season 2.5. I'm genuinely shocked they released something so half arsed and poorly made. Boba Fett was a massive loser and total dickhead who spends most the show getting knocked on his old arse.

I gave up on Obi Wan a few episodes in because it was somehow worse than Boba Fett. Thank God for Andor because these other shows seem intent on killing my Star Wars love. 

Edited by LaGoosh

• 3 weeks later...