Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Vamp said:

They're never taking another risk again after The Last Jedi. 

People lost their minds over a black woman being in this one. 

It will be interesting to see when they do let Rian Johnson make his trilogy.

• Awards Moderator

Read an article the other day (on Cracked I think) which theorised Obi-Wan is mirroring the first six films over its six episodes:

"Episode 1 of the series, not unlike The Phantom Menace, splits its time between a lush green planet, home to a young female monarch, and the deserts of Tatooine, where an aging Jedi wants to train a young Skywalker. And the second episode finds Kenobi in full-on urban hard-boiled detective mode, paralleling his role in Attack of the Clones.

"This structure became even more apparent in Episode 3, which ends in a fiery duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin, just like Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (and also every Revenge of the Sith meme).

"Arguably one of this episode’s major weaknesses is that it is a blatant retread of A New Hope, literally involving Obi-Wan Kenobi sneaking into an Imperial base to rescue Leia, who’s being held captive and tortured.

"Which could mean that next week will end with some kind of dramatic twist and that the season finale will naturally feature a tribe of bloodthirsty teddy bears. "

14 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

If you're going to tell the story of "what happened to Obi Wan between the prequels and originals" then surely you should actually come up with something that makes the story worth telling.

A far superior show of course, but Better Call Saul has managed to do this type of storytelling masterfully. We know where Saul ends up, but how does he end up that way? The problem is Ob-Wan, like all Jedis, is bloody boring.

Star Wars is just one long 'REMEMBER THIS GUYS?' shouting franchise now. What's worse is its now like that for the fucking prequels.

• Paid Members

yeah, the problem with an Obi-Wan prequel series is that the prequel trilogy was an Obi-Wan prequel series. There's not really any drama or intrigue in what Obi-Wan gets up to while on Tattooine, the question was always who he was before he ended up there. There's no drama in filling in the blanks between episodes III and IV and attempting to do so only waters down the original movie by making it clear that Kenobi wasn't an old hermit, but was actually having adventures all over the shop anyway, and that his dramatic encounter with Darth Vader in A New Hope wasn't two old nemeses (or former friends, once you factor in the knowledge of the prequels) coming face-to-face for the first time in almost 20 years, but just one of any number of times that they faced each other.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Factotum said:

A far superior show of course, but Better Call Saul has managed to do this type of storytelling masterfully. We know where Saul ends up, but how does he end up that way? The problem is Ob-Wan, like all Jedis, is bloody boring.

Nothing wrong with a prequel when there's an actual story to be told. Can't say I ever wondered or was interested in what Kenobi did between 3 and 4. Just assumed he watched over Luke, that was always enough for me. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Read an article the other day (on Cracked I think) which theorised Obi-Wan is mirroring the first six films over its six episodes:

"Episode 1 of the series, not unlike The Phantom Menace, splits its time between a lush green planet, home to a young female monarch, and the deserts of Tatooine, where an aging Jedi wants to train a young Skywalker. And the second episode finds Kenobi in full-on urban hard-boiled detective mode, paralleling his role in Attack of the Clones.

"This structure became even more apparent in Episode 3, which ends in a fiery duel between Obi-Wan and Anakin, just like Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (and also every Revenge of the Sith meme).

"Arguably one of this episode’s major weaknesses is that it is a blatant retread of A New Hope, literally involving Obi-Wan Kenobi sneaking into an Imperial base to rescue Leia, who’s being held captive and tortured.

"Which could mean that next week will end with some kind of dramatic twist and that the season finale will naturally feature a tribe of bloodthirsty teddy bears. "

This article is assuming that this show was written by someone smart and talented. It's written by the guy who wrote King Arthur: Legend of the Sword and Army of the Dead. A complete fucking hack.

• Awards Moderator

This episode of Kenobi was everything I wanted from this series.

Contrasting padawan Anakin with Metal Mickey Anakin and his refusal to learn and Kenobi outsmarting his brute force. Reva remains a terrific if predictable character. Amped for the finale! 

As average as it was I’m hoping we get a series two along the lines of….

spacer.png

Series highlight was anything involving McGregor and Darth Vader/Anakin. Old Ben getting dragged through the flames was pretty cool.

Lowlights were the kid capers and them attempting to write a strong female antagonist and failing miserably. 

• Paid Members

Yeah the finale made up for a lot of dross dotted throughout the series. The duel was beautifully shot, as was the post fight talk. The problem was we knew no-one was going to die so there’s were no stakes, despite the fight being one of the best lightsaber fights in the whole SW series, we knew the result. 

Dumbest moment of the series was here to. Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen looking for , and shouting out to Luke and Ben runs over and asks where he is!?!

• Paid Members
Just now, johnnyboy said:

Celebration tickets purchased.  Now to stock up on greeny brown body paint for my Jabba cosplay.

Literally just posted in the other thread. Got 2 tickets for Saturday.

• Paid Members
Just now, johnnyboy said:

Yay!  I imagine we'll be there all day everyday with me in my official role as cosplay accessory lugger.

I need to upgrade my cosplay from the last SWC in London. At least I have until April to get it done.