Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

I really can't stress enough how much I love this show. It's bleak, it's shows the mundane day to day stuff of the Star Wars universe, the inner workings of the empire, the bureaucracy of it all and most importantly they are building characters. Its amazing. Serkis is about 30 minutes of screen time has managed to show more character and journey than anyone in the last 3 Star wars films. 

I see people complaining about the pace, mainly wanting a dogfight every 25 minutes but that's what you have Mando for

Awards for everyone and more episodes, please. 

I've watched it out of dogged loyalty if nothing else, but I'd struggle to say I've enjoyed it. Like Rogue One, it feels to me by turns to be either Star Wars for people who are ashamed to like Star Wars or a tribute to other 70's sci fi but dressed in Imperial uniforms. Thankfully it's jettisoned Rogue One's constant barrage of 'Look! It's THAT GUY' Easter Eggs though.

I'm aware I'm very much an outlier but yeah, so far it's left me cold. 

• Paid Members

One thing I'm liking is that Stormtroopers have barely been featured. You know when they actually do turn up in force properly for the first time shit is going to absolutely kick off. 

My prediction for the season finale: Meero is going to peg Cyril.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

My prediction for the season finale: Meero is going to peg Cyril.

Assuming the timelines line up I’m hoping Galen Erso walks in on them while it’s happening, giving him the idea for an exposed exhaust port on the Death Star. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, chokeout said:

Assuming the timelines line up I’m hoping Galen Erso walks in on them while it’s happening, giving him the idea for an exposed exhaust port on the Death Star. 

Didn't go in... just impacted on the surface. 

21 hours ago, chokeout said:

I really can't stress enough how much I love this show. It's bleak, it's shows the mundane day to day stuff of the Star Wars universe, the inner workings of the empire, the bureaucracy of it all and most importantly they are building characters. Its amazing. Serkis is about 30 minutes of screen time has managed to show more character and journey than anyone in the last 3 Star wars films. 

I see people complaining about the pace, mainly wanting a dogfight every 25 minutes but that's what you have Mando for

Awards for everyone and more episodes, please. 

Totally in agreement here. The characters and lives we see them leading feel the most fleshed out and realistic of any sci fi I've seen. The Star wars universe comes across well bleak here even the shitness of what's his faces mother's condo like a 60s council flat but in the future. 

Anotger thing that struck me was unlike Trek where they have to make everything, all the gadgets etc more and more hitech and screw up the timeline. Things in the Star Wars universe apart from having droids and space ships seem a bit backwards compared to where we are now and I love it.

I want something from Star Wars now 100 percent removed from the Skywalker saga. Give me a Corusant cop show,l with a droidbbuddy or a sexy storm trooper academy series.

• Paid Members

I know this is just turning into the weekly 'How good is Andor!' but jesus, what a show. 

No spoilers but I still can't believe they greenlit a 12 part (with another 12 on the way!) , slow burn, show with no space battles and it's the best thing Disney have managed to do with the licence. 

'One way out' 

• Paid Members

Another banger episode. Imagine being one of the writers of that piece of shit Obi Wan show and seeing how good Star Wars can actually be. This isn't just the best Star Wars series but probably the best series of the year. 

"One way out" is destined to be an iconic Star Wars line. Incredible and inspiring scenes. Hopefully any kids watching this will grow up to be left wing anti-fascist revolutionaries.

One thing that bugged me previously about this show was the lack of aliens, now I can see it was a conscious choice. When that ISB double agent went down into the slums of Coruscant it was brimming with aliens. Goes to show that in the pro-human Empire that all the aliens are forced to live in squalor. Hopefully this show addresses directly the Empire's hatred of non-humans at some point.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

One thing that bugged me previously about this show was the lack of aliens, now I can see it was a conscious choice. When that ISB double agent went down into the slums of Coruscant it was brimming with aliens. Goes to show that in the pro-human Empire that all the aliens are forced to live in squalor. Hopefully this show addresses directly the Empire's hatred of non-humans at some point.

Writer Tony Gilroy addressed this. https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/andor-tony-gilroy-talks-luthen-rael-monologue-easter-eggs-1235258961/

Q. The one odd nitpick that I’ve seen has to do with the number of aliens, which is funny since episode ten has a bunch of them in the background. [Director] Toby Haynes actually told me that you wanted that sort of thing to be in the fabric of the series, not the foreground. So how would you describe your rationale?

A. There’s already so much politics in the show to begin with, and we’re trying to tell an adventure story, really. So adding strong alien characters means that all of a sudden, there’s a whole bunch of new issues that we have to deal with that I don’t really understand that well or I just couldn’t think of a way to bake them into what we’re doing. You’ll see more as we go along, but it’s a legit question and one we’ll be answering as we go along. There is a more human-centric side of the story and the politics of it. There’s certainly no aliens working for the Empire, so that kind of tips it one way, automatically.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

One of those episodes where I finished it and immediately needed to rewatch it - still a bit in awe of how well they stuck the landing on this.

So many moments burned into my brain coming out of that. Maarva's speech, Mon Mothma gaslighting Perrin to set up a cover for her shady money shit, Karn's desperation to lick Daedra's boots, Luthen literally seeing The Rebellion capital T capital R spark to life organically in front of him, every single second Brasso was on-screen, the heartbreaking moments with Bix and that final moment between Andor and Luthen. Just absolutely incredible. Television!

I don't even like Star Wars and I'm so invested in this show I'm listening to a podcast about it.