Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

I think if I hadn't seen Rebels I probably would have given up 10 minutes in.

But I might give up anyway, I found the two episodes pretty boring. Filoni is a massive prequels fan and he carries over the worst bits of the prequels - dull acting, unimaginative staging, silly dialogue, flat CG environments and mid action sequences with zero stakes. I dunno, if I was 9 years old I'd probably like it more. Hoping it picks up when Thrawn turns up.

Probably didn't help that I very recently rewatched Andor, the best Star Wars show.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Awards Moderator
19 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Probably didn't help that I very recently rewatched Andor, the best Star Wars show.

My wife's reaction to Ahsoka was "meh. It's no Andor", which is now her bar for a good Star War. If it's not as good or better than Andor, she's not interested.

And considering how fucking outstanding Andor was... I don't think she'll be watching Star Wars with me much in the future 😄

She did like the Loth-Cat, and was happy to see a lightsaber duel between two women ("has that ever happened before?" - I couldn't think of one except maybe in Clone Wars somewhere), but was otherwise pretty uninterested, which has tended to be her reaction to most of the Favreau/Filoni shows.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Episode 3 was weird. It was like they wrote act 1 and act 2 of the episode and then decided to end it without writing an act 2. The incredibly long and slow zoom in on the main bad guy at the end was hilariously bad. The lack of quality control on the Filoni/Favreau stuff is baffling. Also I don't really remember Sabine wanting to become a Jedi being a significant part of Rebels at all, so it's weird that this show is so focused on it. And calling the blind training bit the "Zatoichi" was far too on the nose for me.

However the space whales stuff does seem to suggest that this series might start getting weird and I love weird stuff in Star Wars so that's promising

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Anyone still watching Ahsoka? It's monumentally terrible and dull. How are they making something so uninteresting on both a story and visual level? I just don't understand.

Separately, I've started playing Jedi Survivor. That's some good Star Wars. The fight controls are pretty funky but the world building is absolutely excellent.

• Paid Members

"You know what people love?  Lightsaber fights!  How about an episode that's nothing but lightsaber fights!" is how I assume the pitch meeting for that episode went.

6 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

Separately, I've started playing Jedi Survivor.

Spoiler for Jedi Survivor:

Spoiler

When you get into the story the parallels with Ahsoka are massive.  Space compass and all that

• Paid Members

I never really got into Rebels so a lot of the back story is lost on me (and many others I would imagine) but Ray Stevenson as a fallen Jedi is the sort of stuff I want. His casual blaster deflections and looking like a knight back from the crusades is the sort of stuff that ticks my boxes. I'll be gutted whatever the ending is for his character as I'd have loved to see more of him. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I read something in passing so I can't attribute it to a source.  The gist of it was that with the notable exception of Andor, the current Lucasfilm/D+ output barely draws on external sources, it mainly draws on other Star Warses for inspiration, ideas, and material.

The Ahsoka series seems to be the final boss stage of this premise.

• 1 month later...
  • Awards Moderator

We just finished rewatching Andor. Fuck, what a series. I love it so much. The first three episodes get accused of being slow but I find them so propulsive and engaging - the building of Ferrix as a living, breathing community that gives the finale so much extra weight, the jobsworthiness of the Pre-Mor employees, Trevor from Eastenders shouting “shiiiit!” when it all goes wrong… Then you get Aldhani, which I’d love love love to see in a cinema, because the Eye when it happens is magnificent, also to fully appreciate Stanley Townsend giving it full RSC. Especially liked rewatching Ebon Moss-Bachrach after seeing him in The Bear. Then you get Narkina 5 and MY GOD ANDY SERKIS is the absolute best. The show just casually drops in lines like “I’d rather die trying to take them down than die giving them what they want”, amazing. Then you get Fiona Shaw inciting revolution in the last episode and when I die please turn me into a brick and use me to smash a fascist’s head in. Andor is bloody brilliant. Rogue One this weekend.

Best rewatched in small blocks.

Episodes 1-3 (the setup)

Episodes 4-6 (the heist)

Episode 7 (breather)

Episodes 8-10 (the prison)

Episodes 11-12 (the conclusion)

Looking forward to season 2 so much, but at the same time kind of worried because they can’t possibly maintain the same level of quality.