Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

Bit confusing why Luke is banging on about how Jedis can't have attachments...his attachments to his friends and family is what gave him the strength to face down the Emperor and his father's attachments is what turned brought him back from the dark side to save Luke and kill the Emperor. The dogmatic views of the Jedi Order in the prequels is what led to their destruction. Luke's whole characterisation here felt way off to me.

• Awards Moderator
55 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Bit confusing why Luke is banging on about how Jedis can't have attachments...his attachments to his friends and family is what gave him the strength to face down the Emperor and his father's attachments is what turned brought him back from the dark side to save Luke and kill the Emperor. The dogmatic views of the Jedi Order in the prequels is what led to their destruction. Luke's whole characterisation here felt way off to me.

Completely true but as it's Favreau / Filoni tying this together rather than JJ Abrams I'm going to go with it to see how it reconnects to the Last Jedi. He does after all have a scene where he says "nooooo! Save the Jedi books!" and Yoda torches them with a cackle. He's trying to rebuild the Jedi exactly as decreed but missed the lessons he was supposed to learn. 

• Awards Moderator
8 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Completely true but as it's Favreau / Filoni tying this together rather than JJ Abrams I'm going to go with it to see how it reconnects to the Last Jedi. He does after all have a scene where he says "nooooo! Save the Jedi books!" and Yoda torches them with a cackle. He's trying to rebuild the Jedi exactly as decreed but missed the lessons he was supposed to learn. 

Yeah, this was my thinking as well. He's been taught the old-school stuff by Obi-Wan, Yoda and whatever relics he's gathered in the years since, and is trying to stick to the Jedi as they were, rather than moving them on as you might have hoped. I can see how this Luke becomes the Last Jedi Luke who thinks the whole system is broken, especially if he's not got anyone to tell him to make a new system.

Finally caught up and have enjoyed the last two episodes of The Book of The Mandalorian.

I don’t know if it’s covid-related production issues or whether they just didn’t have enough of a story there to fill the whole series, but Mando turning up has breathed some life into it. I honestly don’t know what they would’ve done for the last two episodes had Mando not been brought in

That scene with Cad Bane was great. I’m not familiar The Clone Wars series so had to go read up on him afterwards, but even without knowing who he was this got him over instantly as a threat and the scene was extra intense because of it, great stuff. 
Then something popped up on my timeline about some fucking losers “correcting the footage” because supposedly his head “wasn’t the right shape” nor was he “the correct shade of blue”, and that Dave Filoni doesn’t understand the Star Wars universe. That’s the same Dave Filoni who not only directed this episode, but who helped create the character in the first place, he probably knows that character better than anyone. He also seems to understand how passages of time work and that people don’t look exactly the same for their entire existence.

Loved Grogu’s little bit of chainmail, but ‘Weekend Dad’ Luke trying to tempt him with the Lightsaber left it hanging nicely. I’m fully expecting Grogu and Mando to be back together at the end of the finale purely for Mandalorian S3 merchandise reasons rather than anything to do with the story.

• Awards Moderator

We’ve had a finale … and I enjoyed that one!

Can you have a really decent payoff for a story that built up to that payoff so badly? If so, this was that. Lots I liked there

Spoiler

That HUG! My heart! My emotions!

and it’s a shame they fumbled it so much on the way.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

Why had I not noticed the "Fett, Boba Boba Boba Fett" in the theme tune before?

Honestly I thought it was a knock off of The Wombles theme tune.

Binged it this week. Glad I did because the first few episodes, especially 2 were crap. Mando popping up saved the show as Boba is, and always has been crap (props to @Onyx2’s prior comment for summing it up). The finale dipped after a few good episodes but overall I did enjoy it. On the action figure front though 

Spoiler

Hasbro’s HasLab projects had a to scale Rancor up pre CHRISTMAS for £250ish. It didn’t make its goal because of the cost and the minor part he played in ROTJ. I bet they wished they had waited until after this series was shown.

• Paid Members

That finale was not very good. The writing and directing as a whole for this show was just absurdly bad and thin. It had all the ingredients of a fun show but the story and characters were all so meandering, contradictory, lazy and convoluted it was just a big confusing boring mess. I genuinely can't believe these scripts got approved for production. They come across like first drafts. Makes me concerned for the wider Favreau/Filoni SW's plans if this is the kind of shite they're going to be pumping out.

Boba Fett starting his own mafia with a gang of assassins, an evil wookie, street rats, tusken raiders, leftover scumbags and a rancor then fighting off an intergalactic crime syndicate should have been the most cool and simple thing ever. How'd it go so wrong? Why were all the characters presented as boring, dumb pussies?

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

That finale was not very good

Wrong. It was ace! 

Huge battle droids, a rampaging Rancor, Peli Motto rocking up in her intergalactic rickshaw with Grogu wearing the beskar chainmail, Krrsantan throwing some chump in the air and then shooting him mid-air. It was fucking fun.

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Wrong. It was ace! 

Huge battle droids, a rampaging Rancor, Peli Motto rocking up in her intergalactic rickshaw with Grogu wearing the beskar chainmail, Krrsantan throwing some chump in the air and then shooting him mid-air. It was fucking fun.

I'm in the middle here. I thought it was disapointing compared to the Mando finales, but better then LaGoosh's view. For me the issue was it was bloated to make the finale an hour. It didn't need to be and so it felt like there was padding which made everyone, other then Fennec, look weak.

But yes, can't wait for the Grogu with Scott Steiner outfit coming out next year.  

A mixed bag for the finale. The sheer power of the syndicate should outpower the ragtag militia, mighty morphin scooter gang, a wookiee and two mandalorians but didn't. That said, it was predictable but great fun. Krrsantan is still a badass and I was disappointed when I thought he'd be taken out so soon, thankfully we were provided Hulkamania levels of comeback. Shand hanging the mayor was grim for a Disney show but it's good because she is a master assassin after all...

Tears of joy at the reunion although it waters down the end of Mando season 2 and real tears of pain shed at the loss of the bacon boys. RIP.

The whole series has been ropey as in terms of telling a linear story but it's been great fun in places. 

3/5 stars.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Wrong. It was ace! 

That's everything I didn't like about it. Just throwing a bunch of "cool shit" at you so you would forget that there's no stakes, no story, no character and no point to anything that is happening.

Basically this:

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

That's a shame because the Courtship Of Princess Leia is a pretty good book. Things really pick up when Timothy Zahn starts his Thrawn trilogy.