Jump to content

Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.


Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members
Posted
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

What? Solo, Rogue One and The Mandalorian were all things which were all focused away from "Skywalkers" whilst still playing into that mythology. 

The problem with Star Wars is that even when it's not about the Skywalkers/original trilogy characters it almost always ends up back with them and that main story and on top of that a bunch of other side characters turn up everywhere constantly.  For example, Jyn Erso bumping into those ugly guys from the cantina in Rogue One is a "fun" Oh-look-its-those-guys moment but in reality just makes makes what should feel like huge galaxy of billions upon billions of characters and  endless possibilities feel like it's tiny. It's why every time a black person turns up everyone immediately assumes they're related to Lando. 

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

The problem with Star Wars is that even when it's not about the Skywalkers/original trilogy characters it almost always ends up back with them and that main story and on top of that a bunch of other side characters turn up everywhere constantly.  For example, Jyn Erso bumping into those ugly guys from the cantina in Rogue One is a "fun" Oh-look-its-those-guys moment but in reality just makes makes what should feel like huge galaxy of billions upon billions of characters and  endless possibilities feel like it's tiny. It's why every time a black person turns up everyone immediately assumes they're related to Lando. 

I agree, but if your going back to planets or certain places, it’s bound to happen. Again, with the Disney trilogy it was all new planets, but the other films and shows have revisited which means there will be crossovers. At least the timelines match up when they do.

  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members
Posted
On 11/2/2021 at 1:35 PM, BomberPat said:

The Rancor keeper crying over the fallen Rancor suggested a whole backstory that was never near the surface. Every single bounty hunter had their own story going on.

It was compounded by the heartlessness of it.

You see, that was Luke's pet Rancor from when he was a child. There's no other possible explanation. 

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
4 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

It was compounded by the heartlessness of it.

You see, that was Luke's pet Rancor from when he was a child. There's no other possible explanation. 

There was an episode of The Bad Batch this year where they acquired a baby Rancor for Bib Fortuna. I have to assume this was an origin story for the ROTJ Rancor. Completely unnecessary but one of the best episodes of that show.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator
Posted
1 hour ago, Wideload90 said:

Book of Boba Fett out today. 

Spoiler free thoughts - slightly underwhelmed and hope it picks up pace.

Agreed. Found it very very average.

There were a couple of things I liked (there was a very fun musical cue at one point, and a creature straight out of Harryhausen at another) but overall it wasn’t off to the best start.

Spoiler

It just felt like nothing happened - probably because nothing did. I don’t think there was anything of consequence that you wouldn’t have got from the trailer. He got out of the sarlacc and had a tough time of it afterwards - well, yeah, we kind of knew that already. The present day stuff didn’t feel like a focus at all. 

Compare it to the first episode of Mando which set up his mission, had a cracking shootout and one hell of a cliffhanger as Baby Yoda made his debut. This one had nothing like that. Maybe the rest of the series will pick up and it’ll be amazing in the end. Hopefully!

Totally missed Matt Berry voicing a droid so it may bear a rewatch just for that.

 

Posted

Always hard to judge on a first episode. Especially pace. I don't mind a slow burn as long as it goes somewhere so I won't worry about that too much yet. Has it grabbed me as much as Mando did? Nope but I'll still be watching.

Posted (edited)

I ended up watching it twice.

I can see where people are coming from regarding the pacing, but I’d argue that Mandalorian started off at a similar pace  before getting to, as @HarmonicGeneratormentioned, a cracking shootout & cliffhanger towards the end, and that turned out OK.

The escaping from the Sarlacc I’m assuming was included for people who haven’t read any Extended Universe stuff, which I would imagine is still a pretty high number of people. I was fine with it being there- we know he escaped it, this at least explained how. That’s not to say that we need to be spoon fed every little detail of everything, but chances are there were still a lot of people wondering how he survived, this at least puts that to bed.

 

Edited by WyattSheepMask
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

It looked great and that was pretty much it. Not much really happened, it's not quite clear why we should be interested in where it's going. Boba Fett and Fennec Shand don't really have much personality other than "badass" at the moment and that really needs to change if they want the audience to have any investment in them and this story. Why does Boba Fett even want to be a crime lord and surely there's more to it than just sitting in Jabba's old chair? A bunch of different stuff happened but it was all very thin and the ending of the episode was someone offering Boba Fett a drink of water, hardly the most riveting of tales. Also the theme is fucking weird. Star Wars characters need good themes.

I'll watch all of it with an open mind but definitely a dull, meandering and messy start. Robert Rodriguez still doesn't know how to direct a fight scene.

Also: FUCK TATTOOINE. Jesus Christ, there's a whole galaxy but every Star Wars thing has to end up in Tattooine.

Edited by LaGoosh
Posted (edited)

I thought it looked cheap, if only someone could make a sandy sci-fi look fucking gorgeous...

So is this meant to be a more martial arts based take on the Star Wars world? Because that big fight scene was shit, real shit. Constant cuts after every strike and no sense of anything landing, too many fight choreographers need to go back to watching old Hong Kong classics.

Edited by Merzbow
  • Paid Members
Posted
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

Because that big fight scene was shit, real shit. Constant cuts after every strike and no sense of anything landing, too many fight choreographers need to go back to watching old Hong Kong classics.

Shocking considering it was Robert Rodriguez who can usually edit a decent action scene.

11 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I ended up watching it twice.

I can see where people are coming from regarding the pacing, but I’d argue that Mandalorian started off at a similar pace  before getting to, as @HarmonicGeneratormentioned, a cracking shootout & cliffhanger towards the end, and that turned out OK.

The escaping from the Sarlacc I’m assuming was included for people who haven’t read any Extended Universe stuff, which I would imagine is still a pretty high number of people. I was fine with it being there- we know he escaped it, this at least explained how. That’s not to say that we need to be spoon fed every little detail of everything, but chances are there were still a lot of people wondering how he survived, this at least puts that to bed.

 

This is the company that insisited on explaining how Han got his pants, name and gun in Solo

Posted
3 minutes ago, chokeout said:

 

This is the company that insisited on explaining how Han got his pants, name and gun in Solo

True. Admittedly I’ve only seen Solo once and can’t remember the pants and gun, but the name was a proper eye-roller

  • Awards Moderator
Posted
7 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

True. Admittedly I’ve only seen Solo once and can’t remember the pants and gun, but the name was a proper eye-roller

Very much so, but I recommend giving Solo another go, I’ve enjoyed it more each time I’ve seen it.

Posted

@LaGooshexplaining how I feel in a much better way. 

A second viewing didn't change my mind. I also can't work out if Fett is meant to be serious or mildly comical. The first episode of the Mandalorian shits over this one - also, despite being consumed by a sarlaac he maintained his great white smile.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...