Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Awards Moderator

Lovely. I'm very excited for this and it's all looking good. Yes please.

Fascinating how

they're doubling down on the idea of Jedi as a myth, despite a ton of Clone Wars era stuff happening on and around Mandalore. Hey ho, that's a minor quibble, it's all got me excited for the new season.

• Paid Members

Very exciting. All in on an underground alien fight club.

The ice planet looks a lot like Ilum, the planet from Clone Wars and Jedi Fallen Order. It's home to an ancient Jedi temple built on top of Kyber crystals the Jedi used to build their lightsabres (later harvested by the Empire for resources to use for the Death Star laser and invaded by the First Order to build Starkiller Base). It would make sense for The Mandalorian to visit to find clues on the Jedi order.

Love that the trailer didn't really give anything away. Can't wait to see what handsome bastard Timothy Olyphant is up to in the episode he's in.

• Awards Moderator
21 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Very exciting. All in on an underground alien fight club.

The ice planet looks a lot like Ilum, the planet from Clone Wars and Jedi Fallen Order. It's home to an ancient Jedi temple built on top of Kyber crystals the Jedi used to build their lightsabres (later harvested by the Empire for resources to use for the Death Star laser and invaded by the First Order to build Starkiller Base). It would make sense for The Mandalorian to visit to find clues on the Jedi order.

Love that the trailer didn't really give anything away. Can't wait to see what handsome bastard Timothy Olyphant is up to in the episode he's in.

Am I right in assuming Ilum became Starkiller Base? They did well cracking on with turning a whole planet into a big gun if they haven't started by Mandalorian time.

Logical choice for tracking down Jedi though. Maybe he might go to some other Jedi-myth planets like Jedha ... Lothal from Rebels could be a decent shout too.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Yeah Ilum became Starkiller Base. The weapon was built in the mining trenches the Empire created when digging up kyber crystals for the Death Star. Or at least that's how it was later retconned by the Lucasfilm Story Group when they realised they had created what appeared to be 3 separate locations that were all remarkably similar. 

• 2 months later...

So, the Disney Investors Call has unveiled a tonne of new Star Wars content coming over the next 3 years:

Star Wars: Visions - a collection of Anime short films coming in 2021

Star Wars: A Droid Story - R2 & C3PO Disney+ series

Star Wars: Lando - Mr Calrissian gets his own Disney+ series

Stars Wars: Rogue Squadron - directed by Patty Jenkins

Star Wars: Rangers of the New Republic 

Star Wars: Ashoka - original Disney+ series

Star Wars: Obi-Wan Kenobi - long rumoured, officially announced 

Star Wars: The Bad Batch - animated series

Star Wars: Andor - Rogue One getting some additional love

Star Wars: The Acolyte - a “mystery thriller” following the dark side emerging during the fall of the High Republic

...oh, and more of The Mandalorian 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

That's... too much Star Wars. 

35 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Star Wars: A Droid Story - R2 & C3PO Disney+ series

A remake of https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/droids/ surely. 

I just can't imagine they have any research that suggests all these properties will see a return on investment. Unless they can all feature baby Yoda as a merch line. I mean, Cassian Andor has been rumoured for ages but who was crying out to know more about the most dull character in that film not played by Billy Mays? 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members

That is too much Star Wars...but as a kid I spent half my time dreaming of new Star Wars so don't really care. I'M ALL IN. Plus at least half of those are single seasons only rather than continuing. Everything here sounds really interesting, except perhaps the Andor series. A spy thriller set during the Empire is a great idea and I like both Andor and K2 a lot but knowing that they both die horribly kind of takes away the interest and any of the stakes immediately. 

Disney is an extremely successful business, they wouldn't be going ahead with this if they didn't strong believe they would be getting a return on their investment. Appears the tech they created for The Mandalorian has made the shows affordable to make.

Edited by LaGoosh

I think it's amazing that we now have the opportunity to explore live action Star Wars series at a high quality level. It's everything I've ever dreamt of and if some of its shit then I'll just turn it off. Easy enough. Certainly not going to complain about all this stuff we're getting on Disney Plus. There's only so far you can go with the old nostalgia stuff.

34 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Disney continuing to water the Star Wars label down until it's essentially meaningless. They don't see product, they only see labels.

They’ve cheesecaked it even more than Lucas thought was possible! I doubt I’ll bother with a lot of those titles, I’ve only just started The Clone Wars and am a couple of episodes into this season of The Mandalorian, but I’m worried that these new shows will crossover each other so you have to watch them all in sequence to avoid spoilers.