Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

I didn’t like the broom kid either. I got the point of it but like gordo felt it just didn’t fit right. I think it’s partly due to the fact that throughout the entire saga the force and being able to use it has always been either trained into them or passed down by blood, whereas this little random farm boy is just using it, completely negating the point of there being a last Jedi. It felt tacked on for no real purpose.

Also the “Boys > Girls” thing Wyatt suggested just isn’t true. When Luke destroyed the Death Star it was because he was an ace pilot with detailed plans on where to shoot a massive weakness and he barely managed it with a full squadron. 

I feel the force was overused by everyone in this film, not just Rey. 

5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I didn’t like the broom kid either. I got the point of it but like gordo felt it just didn’t fit right. I think it’s partly due to the fact that throughout the entire saga the force and being able to use it has always been either trained into them or passed down by blood, whereas this little random farm boy is just using it, completely negating the point of there being a last Jedi. It felt tacked on for no real purpose.

Also the “Boys > Girls” thing Wyatt suggested just isn’t true. When Luke destroyed the Death Star it was because he was an ace pilot with detailed plans on where to shoot a massive weakness and he barely managed it with a full squadron. 

I feel the force was overused by everyone in this film, not just Rey. 

I didn’t mean it literally

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

When Luke destroyed the Death Star it was because he was an ace pilot with detailed plans on where to shoot a massive weakness and he barely managed it with a full squadron. 

Luke was a farmer not an ace pilot. He had never even been in a space battle before. He was a natural pilot and able to hit a minuscule target without his aiming system because he's strong in the force, just like Rey.

I love the broom boy in TLJ. That movie is all about how the power of legends can inspire anyone to be a hero. Luke's sacrifice reawakens the force across the galaxy. That's what I admire about the film. Rian Johnson wanted to get away from the creepy Skywalker bloodline and tedious, boring jedi twats of the prequels and say that anyone can be a hero no matter who you are. The ending moment encapsulates that.

3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

In the first film Luke uses the force to destroy the death star and he's had zero training. In fact the only training he ever has is a couple of hours doing handstands in the woods with Yoda.

Sorry... What? In the first film.. Yoda isn't in the first... Have I missed something? In the first film he'd had five minutes with that floating shooty thing on the millennium falcon with Ben, then he blew up the Death Star using the force.

5 minutes ago, Harry Wiseau said:

Sorry... What? In the first film.. Yoda isn't in the first... Have I missed something? In the first film he'd had five minutes with that floating shooty thing on the millennium falcon with Ben, then he blew up the Death Star using the force.

No. He’s saying in the original trilogy the only Jedi training we see Luke have is a few hours in Empire. 

• Paid Members

I mean he didn’t blow it up using the force, he only used the force to guide him when to fire. He blew it up by firing at a weak point deliberately left for that exact reason. Not that it matters because they can build Death Stars in an hour or two without being noticed before a planet gets destroyed by it.

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Luke's last line was "...and I will not be the last Jedi". So it sort of reinforces his point rather than negate it, I'd have thought

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Luke's last line was "...and I will not be the last Jedi". So it sort of reinforces his point rather than negate it, I'd have thought

I was under the impression the “Last Jedi” was Rey, not Luke? He just planned on being it before teaching her.

• Awards Moderator
5 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

I was under the impression the “Last Jedi” was Rey, not Luke? He just planned on being it before teaching her.

Luke's referred to as the last Jedi in the crawl of Force Awakens. He definitely planned on being it before teaching her, and when he says the line I took it to mean "you think I'm the last one, but she's one now, so mneh to you". The unintended effect of his sacrifice is that lots of other people across the galaxy were inspired by his sacrifice and some of them have Force abilities, so Rey isn't the last one either. Something like that!