Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

The Last Jedi has been so polarising for so many people. It's fascinating to see a newcomer watch it and essentially come to the same conclusion as a lot of the more negative long-term fans. For me, it's a 6/10 that compares so much more favourably having seen its sequel, but at least it seems to have a driving force behind it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

The Last Jedi has been so polarising for so many people. It's fascinating to see a newcomer watch it and essentially come to the same conclusion as a lot of the more negative long-term fans. For me, it's a 6/10 that compares so much more favourably having seen its sequel, but at least it seems to have a driving force behind it.

The only way i’ll be happy with the sequel is if that traitor Benicio Del Toro gets a proper comeuppance. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

Mark Hamill was brilliant in it, his acting chops are night and day between now and the originals.

I think Hamill gets a bad rep in the originals - while Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford have the charisma and sex appeal that he's lacking, you can feel how uncomfortable they are with the dialogue. Hamill, though, sells the hell out of every shitty George Lucas line of dialogue he's given. It's only recently I've realised how good he is in it - it really wouldn't hold together without his performance.

He's great in Last Jedi, and he's definitely improved. But I used to think he was average/bad, and I think a lot more highly of him now.

• Paid Members

Yeah I never had an issue with him in the originals either. He’s great at who he is. But compared to him in this and he’s seasoned.

One thing I forgot to say too, that shot of the cruiser light-speeding into the battleship was probably one of my favourites of the whole series.

21 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

What you call intrigue I call JJ Abrams presenting vague questions which he never bothered coming up with explanations for. It's his speciality. 

Case and point being Maz Kanata and how she came to be in possession of Luke’s blue saber. “A good question for another time”, only to never be mentioned again

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

Last Jedi is 50/50 for me. 

I think all the Luke, Rey and Kylo Ren stuff is absolutely brilliant and some of the high points of the entire saga. The Rey/Kylo mind merge stuff, the Snoke scenes, Yoda, the R2 scene, Luke saying goodbye to Leia and Luke's epic ending are all time great scenes. Fantastic writing with real emotion...stuff that is actually fairly scarce in these films.

The Finn and Poe stuff is massively dull and tedious shite. If they had given those characters a decent story I think Last Jedi would be nowhere near as polarising.

There's definitely too much humor in it though. 

It's definitely one of the best looking of the films. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at. The Battle of Crait is incredible.

Edited by LaGoosh

29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Last Jedi is 50/50 for me. 

I think all the Luke, Rey and Kylo Ren stuff is absolutely brilliant and some of the high points of the entire saga. The Rey/Kylo mind merge stuff, the Snoke scenes, Yoda, the R2 scene, Luke saying goodbye to Leia and Luke's epic ending are all time great scenes. Fantastic writing with real emotion...stuff that is actually fairly scarce in these films.

The Finn and Poe stuff is massively dull and tedious shite. If they had given those characters a decent story I think Last Jedi would be nowhere near as polarising.

There's definitely too much humor in it though. 

It's definitely one of the best looking of the films. It's absolutely gorgeous to look at. The Battle of Crait is incredible.

Just don’t watch Escape From L.A. first 😆

I've said it before on here and other places, the lightsaber fight in Snoke's throne room is probably my second favourite lightsaber battle, after Episode I. That scene, the way it's shot, the colours, it's stunning. That scene plus every scene with Mark Hamill are what I cling to when defending The Last Jedi. They're the bits I look forward to getting to in an otherwise average film.

That was the last Star Wars I went to a midnight showing for and I walked out of the cinema feeling really flat. I wasn't angry or anything, just really deflated and it was the ending that did it. The battle on the salt planet with the AT-ATs, Luke brushing his shoulder and being a badass and force projecting was all amazing, I didn't even mind Rey being able to lift the rocks after minimal training, tscene that killed my buzz was that kid at the end lifting the broom. It just seemed to suck all the wind out of me. It felt like a post-credits scene from a Marvel film and the fact that it's shot in such a passé way, you don't really even see him move the broom with the force unless you're paying close attention. Oh, and that fucking underground clicking scene, Jesus Christ.

• Paid Members

The Rey being a powerful force user without training thing is a massive issue to a lot of people and I've never really understood it. In the first film Luke uses the force to destroy the death star and he's had zero training. In fact the only training he ever has is a couple of hours doing handstands in the woods with Yoda.

4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The Rey being a powerful force user without training thing is a massive issue to a lot of people and I've never really understood it. In the first film Luke uses the force to destroy the death star and he's had zero training. In fact the only training he ever has is a couple of hours doing handstands in the woods with Yoda.

He did some running too. Also, Boys > Girls

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

The Last Jedi gets better with repeat viewings, which is the opposite of The Force Awakens. Luke's battle at the end is quite possibly the high point of Star Wars - certainly few things as thrilling. I know Mark Hamill thinks bitter Luke is a goal kick, but he did his best to make it work. Watching A New Hope a few days ago, I forgot how funny Hamill is in it playing off Fisher and Ford.

The minor criticism of The Last Jedi is it feels exactly like another director has come on board and has a vision for it which is somewhat jarring to what JJ did. It's why it's annoying Rian Johnson never got the trilogy to play with - it would have meant the story would have been far more cohesive and, like discussed, him trying to figure out where to take all the mystery JJ set up.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

I didn't even mind Rey being able to lift the rocks after minimal training, tscene that killed my buzz was that kid at the end lifting the broom.

That's a weirdly extreme reaction to such a slight scene. It's clear what the message was, what's the big issue?

13 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

That's a weirdly extreme reaction to such a slight scene. It's clear what the message was, what's the big issue?

Yeah, I suppose it is. I honestly don't know. Maybe because it's an uncharacteristic finish? I'm not sure, it just seems to build and build in that final scene, has the false finish and cuts to broom lad, it just feels flat to me.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

Yeah, I suppose it is. I honestly don't know. Maybe because it's an uncharacteristic finish? I'm not sure, it just seems to build and build in that final scene, has the false finish and cuts to broom lad, it just feels flat to me.

Spoiler warning for FelatioLips, the following post has Episode IX references in it.

That ending would have been more effective in retrospect if it had been built on at all in Episode IX. In VII, the Force awakened in Rey, in VIII, it started awakening in other people around the place, be they old Jedi exiles or kids with brooms. If by IX there'd been Forces awakening all over the shop to put a stop to the bad guys that would have had a logic to it. As much as Johnson dialed back or changed course for some of the things JJ had done, JJ did the same in Rise of Skywalker with what Rian built.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
The syntax awakens

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

It's not TNA Impact.