Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Awards Moderator

I wouldn't know where to begin! I think every aspect of my life's got some Star Wars merch attached to it. My keys have got Lego minifigures of Luke and Kylo on them; my desk at work's got a Millennium Falcon and a Starspeeder from Star Tours; if I want a drink there's an X-Wing schematics mug or a C-3PO glass; we've got a 'HOTH: Support The Rebellion' poster on the wall ... and on and on it goes.

It's probably the vintage action figures. I got the first bunch of them before I'd ever seen the films, my mum picked them up at a car boot. When I was around 7 or 8 a shop opened in our village that sold collectibles and memorabilia, and they'd always have a case of Star Wars figures, so I started collecting. They've still got pride of place in a case at my parents' house. I've never really stopped collecting Star Wars figures but those originals just hit the sweet spot. The prequel ones started well (I loved the Episode 1 ones) but by Episode 3 they'd gone so deep into random background characters I lost track. The sequel trilogy and spin-off ones were just bloody hard to track down - the 'proper' sized ones, not this Black Series malarkey (too expensive). But an action figure will always be my merch of choice.

Favourites:

- Max Rebo

- Teebo the Ewok

- Admiral Ackbar

- Leia as Boussh the bounty hunter

- Skiff Guard Lando

- Bib Fortuna

- Gamorrean Guard

- The Rancor Keeper

- Scout Trooper

... these were all decided before I'd seen the films, but it's no bloody wonder Return of the Jedi was always my favourite!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

52 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Outside of the toys from my youth, my favourite thing is this Beer mat I got from Olgas Cantina. I picked up a sprite and coke “bottle” as well from Galaxy’s Edge

I made sure to get a full set of the bottles when we visited last year but totally forgot about the beer mats. By all accounts if you ask they'll happily give you a full set too.

• Paid Members

Star Wars Episode 6: Return of The Jedi

Good:

A satisfying conclusion with Vader’s face turn.
The Vader/Luke/Emporer showdown as the Battle of Endor/Attack on Death Star happens is a nail-biting ending.
Jabba isn’t CGI.

Bad:

Death Star 2: Electric Boogaloo is pretty lazy. 
The Ewoks while I imagine were amazing as a kid in the 80s with Gremlins and everything, were very annoying for a 30 year old newcomer.
Getting Han out of the carbonite is a load blown way too early.
Crap CGI added everywhere, really sticks out again.

Overall the weakest of the original trilogy but it’s not a bad movie by any means. It lacks focus and like Darth Maul, Bobba Fett gets about 1 minute of screen time and dies, why is he so popular? Jango was better.
The Endor battle is fun but the Ewoks came off as a cash-in for toys rather than an integral part of the plot.
I said I won’t take the prequels too much into consideration but the redemption of Darth Vader is a lot easier to swallow before they made him a child murderer.
I know nothing about the sequel trilogy but I’m curious to see how or why they undo a pretty neat ending.

Order is 5, 4, Solo, 6, 2, 1, 3, Rogue.

3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Bobba Fett gets about 1 minute of screen time and dies, why is he so popular? Jango was better.

He gets absolutely jobbed out in Jedi but he retains plenty of credit due to the mystique from Empire. He also had the coolest figure which helps massively. My favourite bit of his in Jedi is when Leia, disguised as Boushh threatens Jabba with the thermal detonator and he just sort of nods at her in a "Nice one lad" sort of way. Even getting killed off like he does there's still something super cool about Boba, he's the closest character to the Space Western concept for me, he's Clint Eastwood in a helmet with a jetpack.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

He gets absolutely jobbed out in Jedi but he retains plenty of credit due to the mystique from Empire. He also had the coolest figure which helps massively. My favourite bit of his in Jedi is when Leia, disguised as Boushh threatens Jabba with the thermal detonator and he just sort of nods at her in a "Nice one lad" sort of way. Even getting killed off like he does there's still something super cool about Boba, he's the closest character to the Space Western concept for me, he's Clint Eastwood in a helmet with a jetpack.

It might upset fans but I’m two episodes into The Mandalorian and he’s already cooler than Jango or Bobba.

• Paid Members

I love the final third of Jedi. The balance of the Endor battle, the lightsabre battle and the Death Star battle is masterful stuff. The space battle in particular is fantastic.

The beginning with the rescue from Jabba's palace is absolutely mental. It's good fun but barely any of it makes any sense whatsoever. Their rescue plan is something along the lines of: intentionally get every main character captured one by one with the expectation that Jabba will throw them into a big pit and Luke will do a mad flip to save everyone. Great character designs though and I like how weird and out of place it feels to everything else.

Side note: I'm spending my self isolation writing my own bad Star Wars story, it's good fun actually. Not intending for anyone to ever read it though.

Edited by LaGoosh

6 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

It might upset fans but I’m two episodes into The Mandalorian and he’s already cooler than Jango or Bobba.

Oh god, as an overall character I totally agree. I make props and costumes as a hobby and from a costume design perspective Boba's suit without question is the coolest of all of them though which will always score brownie points with me, with the big lad (Paz Visla) from The Mandalorian a close second. There's so much detail and story in Boba's outfit, it's a work of art. But as a character, yep, The Mandalorian is a total badass, which probably explains why I've never attempted to make the Boba helmet but there's a Mandalorian helmet sat in the room with me now. And if you think he's cool now, get ready for episode 6.........

Edited by cobra_gordo

2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Does anyone have a favourite bit of Star Wars merch in their collection?  One of my favourites is actually one of the tackiest.  Star Wars Christmas themed Funko Pops sit at the base of our tree.  (We nearly went with Christmas Groot Pop as the tree but a 5 inch tree was a bit minimalist even for us)

funko-star-wars-holiday-chewbacca-funko-

My 7yo has the best Chewbacca onesie and we have a game where you have to pop lightsabres in until Darth pops up (ala Pop Up Pirates) that we've got a lot of fun out of over the years.

Circa 2000/1 I had a great Yoda t shirt that I got from HMV. There was loads and it was just simple designs on the front that were made to look like trading cards. But it's long gone :(

A Lego Imperial Walker (that the kids are not allowed to touch) and a mug where lightsabres appear when it gets hot is all I have now.

• Awards Moderator

Jedi trivia: Ewoks were supposed to be Wookiees. Lucas liked the idea of nature defeating technology so nerfed them down to make it more imbalanced. 

The whole Jabba Palace breakout was added fairly late in production. Harrison wanted to be killed off in Empire but settled for freezing so the options were open. He was convinced by a healthy paycheck. This did mean, yes they had to concoct the worst escape plan of all time. 

The CG Sy Snootles is really bad. Look up the original on YouTube, far more skeezy and fitting for a gangster's club. 

The worst CG is removing Sebastian Shawn's eyebrows when SPOILER Luke takes Vader's mask off. Really annoying once you've noticed it. 

Death Star 2 again, added late in the scriptwriting. Though the focus is on Luke etc it was realised there was not a lot else for the rest to do, hence a hastily written Death Star thing to up the odds. 

Jedi is Roland Emmerich's favourite film, saying "it's a film that is two thirds climax" which tells you everything you need to know about him as a film maker. 

• Paid Members

Also this really bugged me because we had just seen him without a mask. I get the idea behind it, but it’s very jarring. In fact, the whole “add things to the originals to make sense of the prequels” thing is annoying throughout.

B3EAA79C-3B80-40AC-8481-965556AC1911.jpeg

• Moderators

All the Jabba's Palace stuff is by far my favourite Star Wars. It's so evocative and nostalgic, filled with weird puppets and colourful background freaks, all gloriously sleazy. The Jabba sections are what I rewatched most as a kid, and even now, I love them so much. Mandalorian captures that desert underworld vibe really well.

Also, I love how everyone at the Palace apparently has communal nap time when it gets dark, with all these bad-arse alien gangsters just going to sleep together wherever they happened to be standing or sitting at the time.

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Also this really bugged me because we had just seen him without a mask. I get the idea behind it, but it’s very jarring.

I was the opposite in really liking that change. It's Anakin in his prime. If the Force Ghost could have perfect skin and regrown limbs, which he did in the original version, it made sense to me that he would also revert to the Anakin of a better time.

It also made sense to me to have the Force Ghost of a man who died aged 45 not taking the form of a 77-year-old actor. Given all the other changes made in re-releases, I struggle to understand why Sebastian Shaw's face was kept in the unmasking scene.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, FelatioLips said:

Also this really bugged me because we had just seen him without a mask. I get the idea behind it, but it’s very jarring. In fact, the whole “add things to the originals to make sense of the prequels” thing is annoying throughout.

B3EAA79C-3B80-40AC-8481-965556AC1911.jpeg

There's one time this happens in the Original Trilogy which is well done, and you wouldn't likely have noticed it. In Empire Vader's FaceTime with Emperor is completely re-recorded with Ian McDiarmid. The gist is the same but lines of dialogue are added to show Palp's disgust that Anakin had children.

Sensible change as tinkering goes. 

Edited by Onyx2

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Astro Hollywood said:

All the Jabba's Palace stuff is by far my favourite Star Wars. It's so evocative and nostalgic, filled with weird puppets and colourful background freaks, all gloriously sleazy. The Jabba sections are what I rewatched most as a kid, and even now, I love them so much. Mandalorian captures that desert underworld vibe really well.

Also, I love how everyone at the Palace apparently has communal nap time when it gets dark, with all these bad-arse alien gangsters just going to sleep together wherever they happened to be standing or sitting at the time.

All the gangsters asleep is one of the funniest things in Star Wars. It's just so utterly mad. And then when Leia frees Han and Jabba reveals him and his mates hiding behind a curtain laughing like they're in a fucking panto...when I watch that bit now I can't stop laughing.