Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Loki said:

Hmm.  Be really interested to see what they do.  Just "uh oh, caught in a time loop again, whoopsie" would be pretty weak.  Hopefully they come up with something as creative as the first season!

They already did things with the concept the likes of which I'd never seen before so even if they do go down that path, I'm fairly sure they still have a lot for manoeuvre. But I actually reckon they'll do something much different too, and possibly make large cast changes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Anyone watching the final Clone Wars episodes? One of the many good things this series has added to the prequels is a real sense of tragedy around Order 66. By giving all the boring twat Jedis from the prequels and the clones themselves fully fleshed out personalities and relationships it really highlights the horror of the clones turning on the Jedi. Commander Cody and Obi Wan have fought side by side as friends for years, now watching ROTS it's really fucked up that Cody just shoots him down like that. It also goes into good detail about the massive failings of the Jedi and how Palpatine gradually built the infrastructure for the Empire throughout the war. Additionally Darth Maul is reintroduced as one of the most interesting and pathetic villains in Star Wars. I'm excited about the finale on Monday. 

• Awards Moderator

Stunning. John Williams conducted the Vienna Philharmonic in January, and Deutsche Gramophon have released this video today of them performing the Imperial March. Goosebumps all over.

(Video and an album of the full concert, John Williams in Vienna, is coming out on August 14th. I may preorder!)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

But surely this is the big news?

ok so it’s not Rian Johnson’s series, but I’ll take that. His Mandalorian episode was great and I’ve enjoyed everyone of his films so far (not seen Boy yet). I hope he brings that Thor Ragnarok vibe to the Star Wars Universe

• Paid Members

TROS is still a hulking mess of a movie. Nearly 2 and a half hours of screen time and the whole thing feels rushed. From the reintroduction of old faces to character turmoil (poor Daisy is basically reduced to blinking her way through the lightspeed script), everything just whizzed by and not a thing is allowed to register.

Palpatine getting involved is such a dumb mess and the end battles feel so hollow.

I think one of the bigger flaws of 7-9 is the newer characters don't really have great chemistry. It means their whole "buddies 4 life" shtick in this creates a groan or two.

On the plus, some of it is beautifully shot and Harrison Ford.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But surely this is the big news?

ok so it’s not Rian Johnson’s series, but I’ll take that. His Mandalorian episode was great and I’ve enjoyed everyone of his films so far (not seen Boy yet). I hope he brings that Thor Ragnarok vibe to the Star Wars Universe

Boy is really good. I like Waititi for the most part, with the exception of Jojo Rabbit, although I'm starting to feel like he's everywhere. I'd reckon this puts the nail in Johnson doing any more Star Wars stuff.

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

TROS is still a hulking mess of a movie. Nearly 2 and a half hours of screen time and the whole thing feels rushed. From the reintroduction of old faces to character turmoil (poor Daisy is basically reduced to blinking her way through the lightspeed script), everything just whizzed by and not a thing is allowed to register.

Palpatine getting involved is such a dumb mess and the end battles feel so hollow.

I think one of the bigger flaws of 7-9 is the newer characters don't really have great chemistry. It means their whole "buddies 4 life" shtick in this creates a groan or two.

On the plus, some of it is beautifully shot and Harrison Ford.

Out of the new characters Rey/Finn and Finn/Poe definitely have chemistry in TFA though they either barely interact in TLJ or it's squandered in ROS by bad writing. 

Rey and Ben/Kylo have great chemistry and basically are the single thing holding the sequel trilogy together.

The wife and I watched a SW a night leading up to yesterday's TROS launch. She hadn't seen any of them except TFA and TROS which we both saw i the cinema, and I'd seen them all except TLJ.

The original trilogy really do shine in amongst the rest. The chemistry between the main characters is spot on from the off. Vader is practically the Terminator. The battle between him and Luke in ESB is brilliant - there's a greater sense of peril when backflips and force powers were special moves that required real effort rather than Jedi-powers ex machina, and the stiffer swordplay is much more tense, making Luke look less adept and Vader look like a relentless monster trying to smash him with a laser sword instead of the delicate baton-twirling of the recent films. The Ewoks aren't that annoying (and I'd forgotten about the one that dies and his mate goes to check on him - proper welling up!. C3PO is actually funny and useful. Even Harrison Ford's hamming it up in ROJ is kind of endearing.

Aside from some breathtaking action sequences and the last hour of ROTS, the prequels are a bit of a wooden slog. Interestingly, viewed in context, you can see how Qui-Gon's actions were utterly reckless and the inactivity of the incumbent Jedi control was bound to be overthrown. It muddies a lot of the original trilogy's lore, and that last shot of the emergence of Vader nearly cuts his nuts clean off.

TFA is still a joyride, albeit very much a JJ Abrams film with Star Wars iconography. It's great to see the tracking shots of Poe's X-Wing runs, but it's definitely lost its Saturday morning serial simplicity.

This was my first viewing of TLJ. It's fucking great. I am well and truly on that side of the fence. It just nails everything. It carries on Abrams' sheen, pushes all the characters forward, and makes some big changes while staying true to the series' hopeful message. Even knowing what's coming, Luke facing down the First Order on Crait is excellent, a masterful hero moment in keeping with his arc and age. Poe experiences real peril and nearly bricks it. The Holdo Manoeuver. Hux chewing the scenery. The hint at the end that ANYONE can be a Jedi. Fantastic.

And then there's TROS. I'm sorry, but what a comedown. It's one thing to retrofit previous arcs to match the narrative you want, but it's another to completely disregard or ignore what has gone before. It almost comes off as childish at points. Richard E Grant (because he barely had a character) superceding Hux felt petty from a film-making perspective and undeserved in the story. Luke's ghost returning, and spouting bland Jedi axioms rather than being the relatable old Luke we had seen before, felt like JJ stomping his feet yelling "But *I* wanted to give him a sendoff!" Re: the Emperor, you can see Oscar Isaac's heart break yada-yada-ing Palpatine's return. The film then devolves into carbon-copies of what's been before, almost to the beat. It's fun, but it's a very hollow ending, for me.

Interestingly, the wife preferred the family-feud angle in TROS, whereas I thought it was a massive step back from the ending of TLJ. I'm not a fan of chosen one narratives - I find them narrow, as they essentially state everything that happens is determined and the characters have no choice. I much prefer the incidental heroes, the characters who fall into scenarios they aren't prepared for, then evolve, choose, fail and grow by their own actions and become new legends. The end of TLJ gave me visions of people discovering their connection to the force and each other, realising how small and scared the Empire/First/Final Order actually were, and overcoming them. Instead, we had a select few saving the day, as they had all the other times, albeit in one battle with one voice over the comms saying people were "rising up all over the galaxy". It wrapped things up, but took things nowhere.

Edited by CavemanLynn

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Out of the new characters Rey/Finn and Finn/Poe definitely have chemistry in TFA though they either barely interact in TLJ or it's squandered in ROS by bad writing. 

Rey and Ben/Kylo have great chemistry and basically are the single thing holding the sequel trilogy together.

Rey and Kylo are great, for sure, but can't say I'm into the Rey/Finn/Poe stuff. Granted, Boyega is pretty dreadful in this film (hard work with such a script). I think you sum it up, though, they don't really build on the initial work in TFA so when in ROS they're all blood brothers, it's pretty jarring.

The first 45 minutes of the film are so problematic that I paused the film to do something else, then came back to finish it off.