Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

I have to say, after vowing to not watch any more new Star Wars content after the last film I've done a massive Boris style U-turn and finally watched the Mandalorian and it's comfortably the best thing there's been outside the original trilogy. It hasn't managed to ruin any fond childhood memories thus far. 

1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Disney continuing to water the Star Wars label down until it's essentially meaningless. They don't see product, they only see labels.

What would you do with it then? They've had great success with The Mandalorian. I can't see why they wouldn't continue to explore TV series over the next few years. They're all different enough. And it's not like we haven't had a vast amount of different Star Wars stories over various media pre-Disney anyway. We've always had books and comics and video games and animated series etc. Its been a long time since it was just about the movies.

Edited by DavidB6937

• Awards Moderator

So many announcements!

I have unexciting thoughts on many of them. Makes sense to have such a focus on Disney+ rather than cinemas, given the state of the world (and the comparative receptions of Mandalorian and the recent films).

Lando - if this means more Donald Glover I am all for it. We're not getting a Solo sequel ever, so this could be an opportunity to finish the Crimson Dawn stuff they set up in the film.

Rogue Squadron - I initially thought this might be Rogue One style original Rebellion, pilots on daring missions against the Empire and was very excited for it. Apparently it's set after the sequel trilogy, though, so ... I don't know now. It also means that super-happy ending of the sequel trilogy wasn't so happy, because if there's still fighter pilots fighting so soon afterwards, there's another war and all of that was for nothing.

Ahsoka - we knew this one was coming.

Spoiler

I haven't seen this week's Mandalorian yet so could be way off here, but I would assume it's safe to say Ahsoka's storyline and hunt for Thrawn might not be happening in that series anymore.

Obi-Wan Kenobi - not sure about them bringing Vader into this. I know when he said "a presence I've not felt since..." he didn't finish his sentence so it's vague and it might have meant "that time after he nearly killed me and I went bad, when we fought each other again but nothing must have happened", but I think I'd rather have just had them meet again on the Death Star. 

Andor - I am the one who likes Cassian Andor. I am absolutely 100% here for this. Give me more Cassian, give me more Diego Luna, give me more K-2SO.

The Acolyte - this one, I'm really intrigued about. Set towards the end of the High Republic era so it'll automatically feel more different than any of the above. Could be very, very cool, I say, knowing next to nothing about it.

I do sort of wonder if all of these will get finished and released. It wasn't that long ago Disney were promising a Star Wars film in cinemas once a year until the end of time.

In unrelated Star Wars-y news, I've got Rise Of Skywalker on in the background while I'm working today. I always really enjoy it while it's on ... it's only afterwards that I think "wait, hang on..."

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

4 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I do sort of wonder if all of these will get finished and released. It wasn't that long ago Disney were promising a Star Wars film in cinemas once a year until the end of time.

I think they will. The world has changed this year and that in combination with the mixed response to the last trilogy means their approach has to be this. The Mandalorian is the first step in rebuilding trust and excitement in the Star Wars brand I think. Keep doing that and they'll have enough to drag people back to the cinemas if the world goes that way. Plus they've learnt a lot about storytelling and I think the weekly feedback on The Mandalorian will have been helpful too.

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, Onyx2 said:

That's... too much Star Wars. 

A remake of https://franticplanet.wordpress.com/2019/02/27/droids/ surely. 

I just can't imagine they have any research that suggests all these properties will see a return on investment. Unless they can all feature baby Yoda as a merch line. I mean, Cassian Andor has been rumoured for ages but who was crying out to know more about the most dull character in that film not played by Billy Mays? 

I am another one who liked Andor. Plus, he was the guide during the Star Wars Void VR Experience which is still one of the greatest 20 minutes of my life. The preview for it looked good as well so I am all in.

As to Droids, if it doesn't have that awesome Stewart Copeland theme tune it can bin off.

7 minutes ago, The King Of Swing said:

Fuck all that noise. 

Just give me Knights of The Old Republic 3 and call it a day. 

Same, although I don't trust Bioware in it's current state with it.

Even without the utter mess the team has been in during development of Anthem does it include anyone from KOTORs days?

31 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Same, although I don't trust Bioware in it's current state with it.

Even without the utter mess the team has been in during development of Anthem does it include anyone from KOTORs days?

I think most if not all of the old Bioware team are gone now. They had more departures recently which does not fill me with confidence about Dragon Age 4.

Obsidian would do a bang up job I reckon if given time but no chance of them getting the job. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

They’ve cheesecaked it even more than Lucas thought was possible! I doubt I’ll bother with a lot of those titles, I’ve only just started The Clone Wars and am a couple of episodes into this season of The Mandalorian, but I’m worried that these new shows will crossover each other so you have to watch them all in sequence to avoid spoilers. 

Don't be daft, a Disney franchise would never delve into those ar... ahh.

12 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think A Droid Story will be animated as well.

Next comes “A Droid Story”, an adventure film with Lucasfilm Animation and Industrial Light & Magic teaming to create that. The “epic journey will introduce us to a new hero guided by R2-D2 and C-3PO”.

^^ From Dark Horizon

Edited by Marc Ambush Solo

14 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Don't be daft, a Disney franchise would never delve into those ar... ahh.

I’m reliably informed that it’s DC shows that all contaminate each other but let’s be honest, if they have done it with films they’ll do it with tv. At least it’ll all be on their own platform though so it’ll all be in one place.