Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

54 minutes ago, CavemanLynn said:

The wife and I watched a SW a night leading up to yesterday's TROS launch. She hadn't seen any of them except TFA and TROS which we both saw i the cinema, and I'd seen them all except TLJ.

This is puzzling me. You watched 1 and 3 in the trilogy but skipped the second one? How can you live like this!!!???

1 minute ago, SuperBacon said:

This is puzzling me. You watched 1 and 3 in the trilogy but skipped the second one? How can you live like this!!!???

I know. Fortunately I'd Wiki'ed the hell out of TLJ beforehand, because I'm a psychopath who can spoil things for himself and still enjoy watching all the clues unfold.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Finally watched Rise Of Skywalker this afternoon as it was on my on demand movies Sky doohicky. It was eyerollingly predictable in places, like Abrams was dipping into his Star Wars tropes bag like a lucky dip and shoehorning them in. There were a couple of moments that were nice to see, but it could have been a lot better. Eh, it serves Disney right for not actually planning what they wanted to do.Ā 

38 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Finally watched Rise Of Skywalker this afternoon as it was on my on demand movies Sky doohicky. It was eyerollingly predictable in places, like Abrams was dipping into his Star Wars tropes bag like a lucky dip and shoehorning them in. There were a couple of moments that were nice to see, but it could have been a lot better. Eh, it serves Disney right for not actually planning what they wanted to do.

For all the talk of Disney not having a clue what theyā€™re doing, theĀ trilogy grossed over $4.1Billion and theyā€™reĀ handing out spin-off shows & movies to every man and his dog, which everyone will watch because weā€™re creatures of habit. Believe me, theyā€™ve planned for this

• Awards Moderator
38 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

theĀ trilogy grossed over $4.1Billion

They paid $4 billion for it. It's not an incredible return, is it? And against expectations, Rise of Skywalker underperformed.Ā 

2 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

They paid $4 billion for it. It's not an incredible return, is it? And against expectations, Rise of Skywalker underperformed.Ā 

Add another 1.4bn for Solo and Rogue One, plus merchandising, spin offs, licenses, etc. Theyā€™ve done just dandy off that deal.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Add another 1.4bn for Solo and Rogue One, plus merchandising, spin offs, licenses, etc. Theyā€™ve done just dandy off that deal.

Yes, but this completely ignores the significantly diminished returns off The Rise of Skywalker and Solo especially, which performed disastrously.

One thing Disney didn't plan for, because they're fucking idiots, is for people to get Star Wars overload, which is exactly what they've caused. I couldn't care less about The Mandalorian and the dozen other spin-offs and series they have planned and I'm far from the only one.

• Awards Moderator
9 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Yes, but this completely ignores the significantly diminished returns off The Rise of Skywalker and Solo especially, which performed disastrously.

One thing Disney didn't plan for, because they're fucking idiots, is for people to get Star Wars overload, which is exactly what they've caused. I couldn't care less about The Mandalorian and the dozen other spin-offs and series they have planned and I'm far from the only one.

Theyā€™ve realised it to an extent - I know the original plan for there to be at least one Star WarsĀ cinema release every year for ever and ever has been shelved. For now, anyway.

51 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Agreed, but theyā€™ve recouped it and now have the franchise to do with as they wish. So long as any movies they make from now are profitable, the gamble paid off, no pun intended.

re: @Devon Malcolmā€™s point about Star Wars overload, that had to be a contributing factor to Soloā€™s failure as well as the dummy spitting that followed The Last Jedi (as well as changing Director part way through filming). Solo was released 5 months later? 6 months at the most? Because of the delay to the original release of TLJ. Had Solo been pushed back to Christmas that year, maybe it wouldā€™ve faired better

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
49 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Theyā€™ve realised it to an extent - I know the original plan for there to be at least one Star WarsĀ cinema release every year for ever and ever has been shelved. For now, anyway.

Sort of. They still just released a TV series and isn't there another planned before the end of the year?

• Paid Members

They changed directors on Solo because they didn't like what the original directors were doing,ehich was a heist movie that just happened to have Han Solo in it. They wanted a Star Wars movie that involved a heist, so tried to get Ron Howard in to course correct, just like they had to get JJ Abrams back in to course correct after Rian Johnson decided to try and take Star Wars in a new direction, ironically by making a star wars movie, rather than performing a box ticking exercise.Ā 

If they'd set out where they wanted to go narratively with the sequelcmovies rather than allowing directors free reign then maybe we'd still be getting a star wars movie a year at the moment. The plan was "Acquire Star Wars", "?", "Profit".Ā 

• Awards Moderator
35 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Had Solo been pushed back to Christmas that year, maybe it wouldā€™ve fared better

Solo has a weak script, and the most invisible marketing of any Star Wars film ever. I went with three friends to Thurrock Lakeside on opening night and we were the only people there. The weak script hurt repeat viewings, but they never got anyone in the door to get a first viewing. Poorly handled.Ā