Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

Unlikely. There hasn't been any announcements, the toxic fanbase will kick right off and Johnson's off doing Knives Out 2. He's too good for Star Wars really. A shame, in hindsight he should have been given the whole sequel trilogy from the start.

Disney were also obsessed with meeting the new film every 2 years deadline when both previous trilogies had 3 years between each film. An extra year of work on Rise of Skywalker could only have been a good thing.

He said recently the offer is still on the table https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a30510239/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-update/. Rightly, his priority right now is more Benoit Blanc and I think we all want to see that then more Star Wars (and I say that as a SW fan, JJ films included)

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Awards Moderator
30 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

They just want to Marvelize it. Crucially, without source material. And it's absolute suicide. 

I wonder whether the newly announced High Republic stuff is meant to be a step towards getting that kind of source material. They’ve only announced books and comics so far but you’d have to think they have an eye on making films from it in future.

• Paid Members

Films or not, Disney will still milk the thing. The only reason they bought it was because they were struggling to create 'original' big hit franchises in the early 10s, so started snapping up famous properties to continue feeding the mouse - not out of some great love for the work of Lucas. Even with the dwindling box office, it's still better than a Tomorrowland, Prince of Persia or John Carter sequel.

Rian Johnson needs to stay clear too.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Films or not, Disney will still milk the thing. The only reason they bought it was because they were struggling to create 'original' big hit franchises in the early 10s, so started snapping up famous properties to continue feeding the mouse - not out of some great love for the work of Lucas. Even with the dwindling box office, it's still better than a Tomorrowland, Prince of Persia or John Carter sequel.

Rian Johnson needs to stay clear too.

I’ll grant you the other two, but not John Carter. That should have been the start of a series, shit title or not.

7 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

I've come to accept the Star Wars series is made up of just one truly great film, a couple of good ones and a whole bunch of white dog poo.

I've been a big fan of the films all my life, but I came out of the last one thinking "that's me done".  I'll very happily not ever see anything Star Wars again.  I'm even giving The Mandalorian a miss because there's just been too many films.  I think I've missed one or two of the movies as well at this point.

The first 3 stand up nicely as a well told story with charismatic stars and great special effects.  All of the others, basically shit as you say.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Loki said:

I've been a big fan of the films all my life, but I came out of the last one thinking "that's me done".  I'll very happily not ever see anything Star Wars again.  I'm even giving The Mandalorian a miss because there's just been too many films.  I think I've missed one or two of the movies as well at this point.

The first 3 stand up nicely as a well told story with charismatic stars and great special effects.  All of the others, basically shit as you say.

Don't avoid The Mandalorian. It doesn't tie into the films and is the closest thing they have made to the original trilogy. It's really good. I have already seen it, yet I booked Cineworld tickets to see the first 2 episodes again on the big screen because I imagine it will look fantastic.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’ll grant you the other two, but not John Carter. That should have been the start of a series, shit title or not.

Similar to the Lone Ranger, that was the plan but it lost a significant amount of money.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Awards Moderator
8 hours ago, Loki said:

I'm even giving The Mandalorian a miss

Really don't miss it. It's the best piece of Star Wars media since 1980. An old fashioned episodic adventure with a healthy through line, crafted extremely well. If NWA Powerrr makes you nostalgic, this will too. 

There's a lot of really great tv at the moment, and the Star Wars universe is really played out.  I'm sure I'll get round to The Mandalorian at some point but seeing as it's not easily available I'm in no hurry.

The franchise has been much better served by videogames over the years.  X-Wing v Tie Fighter, Rogue Squadron, Dark Forces, the Battlefront Series (especially the original ones) - all great slices of fun in that universe.

• Paid Members

The Mandalorian is really bloody good and should definitely be watched. Really, Jon Favreau would probably have been the best person to run the sequel trilogy. He clearly knows what he's doing and has a real understanding of Star Wars.

57 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

The Mandalorian is really bloody good and should definitely be watched. Really, Jon Favreau would probably have been the best person to run the sequel trilogy. He clearly knows what he's doing and has a real understanding of Star Wars.

Would love to have seen Poe tell Finn "You're so money" and another scene where Finn leaves a hundred answer machine messages for Rey.