Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members

So moving over to here from the Disney Thread. We watched Episode 3.

Good:

The action in the last half hour with Kenobi vs Anakin and Yoda vs Palpatine.
Palpatine pre-transformation.
General Grievous is cool.

Bad: 

The CGI again. A lot of it stood out, especially the jumping and backgrounds. 
Palpatine gets zapped then suddenly goes from the best actor in it to a groaning croaky freak.
They suddenly realised halfway through the film that nothing matched Episode 4 yet so they had to rush changing people’s appearances or making people do things inexplicably. It was very jarring.
It was way too bloody long.

Overall it was a slog. The movie felt very shot together to purely transition between 2 and 4 so they slapdash add and change things to match it. The action, bar the end fight scenes, aren’t as good as the Pod Racing from 1 or most of 2. Anakin stinks up nearly the entire film and he comes across as thick.

The prequels are done and the best to worst order is currently 213.

• Paid Members

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Good: 

The ensemble cast minus Emilia Clarke all put in a performance. 
No politics. All Drama, action and great characters.
Action set-pieces are well done, specifically the Prison Breakout and The Maelstrom scenes.

Bad:

Emilia Clarke is wooden.
The multiple double-crosses at the end don’t need to happen.
We had to Google how Darth Maul is still alive. 

Overall by far the best we’ve watched so far, and the only one my Wife has said she would happily watch again. Having big name actors helped keep the acting above the usual standard and unlike Episode 3, the nods to future films felt natural. It kept the dull politics that swamped the prequels well away and every scene felt like something was happening.

The order is now Solo, 2, 1, 3.

Plenty of time for Solo, but there’s a moment in the final act where if you’re not familiar with the Star Wars Extended Universe leaves you going “woah! What the fuck?”. Oh, and those fucking dice!

On it’s own it’s really fun, but not essential viewing by any means, same with the also very good Rogue One

• Paid Members

I really enjoyed Solo. I still reckon the train scene is one of the best scenes in Star Wars history.

That being said, if you're watching the main series you're still a lunatic if you don't just start at 4.

It's a shame Solo wasn't the success they wanted it to be because Donald Glover deserves his own movie off the back of it. Even though I thought matey boy was fine as Solo I don't think it helped having such big shoes to fill whilst Woody and Glover out charisma'd him.

@Loki looking at your comment about swerving Mandalorian and championing the computer games you should know that The Mandalorian is the most game ass gamey show going. He does fetch quests and collects stuff and powers up and everything!

You all seem to be struggling with the concept that a person might have had enough Star Wars 😆. The Mandalorian could have Daisy Ridley riding a Sybian with Hannah John-Kamen lending a hand and I’d still 

Be right back.

• Paid Members

Solo is completely nonessential and that's actually what I love about it. It's the most purely fun movie in the series since the original. There's no massive story and force stuff holding it back. It's just a good bit of fun and adventure. 

One thing that annoys me particularly about the prequels is they show the beginning of the Clone wars and the end but completely skip the middle so everything feels massively underwhelming. I know they flesh it all out in the cartoon but I always feel like you only get about 5% of the story in the films and it all feels very rushed.

• Awards Moderator

I’ve started rewatching the Clone Wars series but never seen the film, I’ll be getting on that. I wonder if it was always intended to do the war itself as a spin off or whether Lucas just wasn’t interested.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Solo but there’s a lot I like about it - Lady Proxima is ace, Enfys Nest is awesome, Donald Glover is fantastic, Paul Bettany’s great ... I might rewatch Solo tomorrow...

• Paid Members

Solo is ok. It's big flaw is the lead had no chance matching the charisma of Ford. He's ok in it, but he was pretty charmless throughout.

I've tried a few times over the years to watch all the Star Wars films starting at 1, but I pretty quickly give up once they get off the space ship at the beginning of 1. The CGI has aged so badly and, IIRC, Ewan McGregor looks exactly like an actor told to stare at a ball in a green room.

• Paid Members

I think Alden is really good in it but at the end of the day Harrison Ford IS Han Solo and he's also one of the most charismatic actors of all time so it's just impossible for anyone not to look dull in comparison. Replacing him is an impossible task but I don't think anyone could have done a better job.

• Paid Members

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Good: 

The droid.
Mads Mikkelsen
Darth Vader ripping up.

The Bad:

Literally everything else, especially Forest Whitaker.

Overall it was dull, grey,  and miserable. Everything a Star Wars film shouldn’t be. My wife started dozing off an hour in and we got as far as Mads dying before we fast forwarded to the last 10 minutes and honestly missed nothing because we saw them hand the plans over to Leia and then everyone dies. It was a bad film but even against Episodes 1-3 it was a bad Star Wars film.

Solo, 2, 1, 3, Rogue One.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The Good: 

The droid.
Mads Mikkelsen
Darth Vader ripping up.

The Bad:

Literally everything else, especially Forest Whitaker.

Overall it was dull, grey,  and miserable. Everything a Star Wars film shouldn’t be. My wife started dozing off an hour in and we got as far as Mads dying before we fast forwarded to the last 10 minutes and honestly missed nothing because we saw them hand the plans over to Leia and then everyone dies. It was a bad film but even against Episodes 1-3 it was a bad Star Wars film.

Solo, 2, 1, 3, Rogue One.

I know we all have different opinions like but...

I mean for one, it was supposed to look dark and gray. This was a full on war movie. Practically a suicide mission. It’s a better film then Solo, but Solo is easier to watch and more fun. But it’s better then the prequels combined for me

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I know we all have different opinions like but...

I mean for one, it was supposed to look dark and gray. This was a full on war movie. Practically a suicide mission. It’s a better film then Solo, but Solo is easier to watch and more fun. But it’s better then the prequels combined for me

So you’re saying it’s better if I watched this first then Solo and the prequels?