Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

When it came out the Yoda fight was all me and my friends would talk about, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Yoda, but flipping about all over the place! 
I’ve since come round to the view you have here. Flippy flippy Adam Cole Yoda is everything the original trilogy Yoda wasn’t - and while I accept Yoda can do all those moves, I can’t accept he’s stupid enough to think that’s the best use of his energy and power. Silly but not good silly. And this is me, who fully accepts daftness in a Star War and not two pages ago proclaimed Lady Proxima the giant worm lady to be great, so I don’t disown NXT Takeover Yoda lightly.

Definitely. After all his wise words and speeches on the importance of peace, avoiding conflicts and being luminous beings, not crude matter to see him flipping around with a lightsabre like a idiot is complete bullshit. The Yoda of the OT and PT are almost completely different characters. 

• Paid Members

Still cool though.

Revenge of the Sith is shite, so much so I can't be arsed with the original trilogy now. The turn into Darth Vader is so unsatisfying clunky and tediously melodramatic; like the sort of rubbish I'd come up as a kid playing with my Stretch Armstrong and Superman toys. All the set up and when it came down to it of course Uncle George fumbles the ball. Even Yoda's work rate can't sprinkle some magic on this.

• Paid Members

Star Wars Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back

Good: 

Pretty much all of it. 

Bad:

My wife pointed out Han’s arms were tied when he’s getting frozen but they’re not tied when he comes out.
Han is a little rapey.

Overall what’s to say? It’s pretty much a perfect film. I had this and episode 4 neck and neck about halfway through but by the end it’s a clear winner. My wife pointed out halfway through she prefers these ones over the prequels because they all talk like actual people. Han’s “I know” is a class line and again the practical effects are great. The AT-ATs looked amazing.

Some of it is so beautifully shot, especially the Cloud City stuff and the Luke/Darth fight. The soundtrack stands out too.

Can’t really say anything bad about it. Great film.

The order is 5, 4, Solo, 2, 1, 3, Rogue.

Side note -

I will say watching them Chronologically including standalones is starting to show some pretty big plot cracks and complete 180s on character behaviour. I’m mostly ignoring this when giving thoughts or we’d be here all day. I will say Han Solo in Solo is not the same guy as the main series.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Awards Moderator

So relieved you enjoyed Empire. Literally my favourite film ever, but with 40 years of watching I can't possibly be impartial about it. Glad it still has vision, impact and punch. Empire is the best soundtrack too (trivia: most people think the Imperial March is in A New Hope. It isn't) because it's marriage of visuals to music is flawless. 

Can you imagine the pressure of creating a sequel to the industry-busting hit of Star Wars? No wonder George refused the director chair (and in hindsight, would probably have been garbage). 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

So relieved you enjoyed Empire. Literally my favourite film ever, but with 40 years of watching I can't possibly be impartial about it. Glad it still has vision, impact and punch. Empire is the best soundtrack too (trivia: most people think the Imperial March is in A New Hope. It isn't) because it's marriage of visuals to music is flawless. 

Can you imagine the pressure of creating a sequel to the industry-busting hit of Star Wars? No wonder George refused the director chair (and in hindsight, would probably have been garbage). 

That’s mental because we could have swore it was and we only watched it this morning! Must be one of those things where just seeing Vader makes the theme stick in your head.

• Awards Moderator

Usual stuff in this day and age, not-my-Star-Wars, SJW, Mary Sue, blah blah bollocks. It didn't help being attached to such a divisive film and she became the fulcrum. Then it gets put through a racism / sexism multiplier which is just disgusting.