Star Wars Thread - Spoilers, yo.

Monkee

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Lando should get his own movie, I thought that was the most interesting moment of the whole film.  Billy Dee Williams is 82 though, he might not be up for a whole film.  Maybe Finn and his now-race-appropriate girlfriend can carry it.

I'm well up for a Billy Dee/Carl Weathers old man buddy Star Wars film if you wouldn't mind putting a word in with your old pal. His Mandalorian character has a fair bit of Lando to him.

I enjoyed it, didn't realise just how long it was though, I went into the 3.20 showing and was shocked looking at my watch after coming out of it that it had gone 6PM (didn't help that I was incredibly exhausted after being up since 8 to go out and finish my Christmas shopping on the back of doing a 11.30-9 shift yesterday). Not sure what to make of Rey's plot twist and connection to the Emperor, felt a bit tacked on. Had a beaming smile the second Lando showed up, acting as suave as he did last time we saw him on screen and the big cameo that was kept well hidden throughout was a unexpected delight as was hearing some familiar voices of the past in the pivotal scene near the end 

• Awards Moderator

(quick aside: the thread is tagged spoilers, if you come into a Star Wars thread not expecting chat about the latest film you are pretty dense. I haven't touched this thread for two weeks on purpose. So let's drop those clumsy spoiler tags eh?) 

I came out of it a red-eyed mess, as any scene featuring the twin suns will do to me. I was feeling emotional during the opening scene as I cast forward to watching the closing credits in two hours time realising this would be the end of the Skywalker saga so I was already sensitive. 

I had a great time, but it is a JJ Abrams film. Flashy flashy bang bang, and will be forgettable. But I am super glad there was no time travel.

I'll skip round mose of it suffice to say I was tremendously happy to see John Williams retire on another majestic, intertwining score, celebrating with a cute cameo that made me grin. What an incredible genius he is, and is about 70% of the reason why Star Wars works. He's going to be my most listened-to Spotify artist of 2020, I can guess. 

• Paid Members

Saw it with the Mrs this morning and we both really enjoyed it, then I looked on here to see what others made of it and the overwhelming negativity really bummed me out. Similar to watching the wrestling in that respect, it's far better enjoyed without the toxicity of the Internet fan bases.

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Saw it with the Mrs this morning and we both really enjoyed it, then I looked on here to see what others made of it and the overwhelming negativity really bummed me out. Similar to watching the wrestling in that respect, it's far better enjoyed without the toxicity of the Internet fan bases.

Read my spoiler tag from a page or two ago - I’ve got issues but overall I’m on board with it. I think a lot of the criticisms are totally valid (unlike those for TLJ) but I still really like the film overall. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

Good news! It is better than that shit attempt at a meme. 

It's Star Wars innit, it's not like my expectations were through the roof and there were as many smiles as eye rolls. 

Two standout shit moments were when Fin puts his hand on Kelly Marie Trans' shoulder effectively shoving her in to the friend zone and letting the audience rest assured we wont get a continuation of that inter racial relationship. The second being that kiss that can be summed up by the reaction of some little kid in our screening going "Huh!?". Huh indeed.

Other than that, Driver was great, Ridley was great, Billy fucking Dee laughing was great. Ren's gold leaf inspired patched up helmet was smart as fuck and I'll probably never watch it again. 3/5.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Good news! It is better than that shit attempt at a meme. 

It's Star Wars innit, it's not like my expectations were through the roof and there were as many smiles as eye rolls. 

Two standout shit moments were when Fin puts his hand on Kelly Marie Trans' shoulder effectively shoving her in to the friend zone and letting the audience rest assured we wont get a continuation of that inter racial relationship. The second being that kiss that can be summed up by the reaction of some little kid in our screening going "Huh!?". Huh indeed.

Other than that, Driver was great, Ridley was great, Billy fucking Dee laughing was great. Ren's gold leaf inspired patched up helmet was smart as fuck and I'll probably never watch it again. 3/5.

I enjoyed it on first watch, but the 2nd even more so

I'm surprised at the lack of merchandising at the cinema. No fancy soft drink cups, no special 3D glasses, no nothing really. Its almost as if they gave up on the release of the movie being a special event. I went to the showcase by the way so don't know what it was like at other cinema chains.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, 5pints said:

I'm surprised at the lack of merchandising at the cinema. No fancy soft drink cups, no special 3D glasses, no nothing really. Its almost as if they gave up on the release of the movie being a special event. I went to the showcase by the way so don't know what it was like at other cinema chains.

Cineworld has special cups and posters

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, 5pints said:

Odeon has fancy cups, glasses and free posters.