It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, neil said:

If it makes you feel better I've heard from 2-3 people who I know voted Trump in 2016 who say there is no way they'll vote for him this time and are voting Biden. Very small sample size, but there definitely was a trend of people who did not vote for Clinton because they despised her and felt like Trump might be "a breath of fresh air".

You only see the die-hard cultists on social media/TV because...it gets clicks/views. I'm optimistic that Trump will lose, I believe both he and his team know it as they are already harping on about fake election results etc. What will be very telling is if the GOP politicians start moving away from him - they are spineless cunts who will jump on and off ship very quickly to protect themselves.

I still wouldn't come close to putting money on him losing, but I think you're spot on about Clinton - a lot of people voted for Trump as he wasn't a "career politician", which could still hurt Biden, but far more likely voted for him because he wasn't Hillary Clinton specifically. While there's plenty that Trump supporters have tried to make stick, there's nothing that's going to make Biden half as toxic to people as Clinton was. 

I also can't see any scenario where a significant percentage of people who didn't vote Trump in 2016 could possibly have seen anything to make them change their mind in the intervening four years. Whereas outside of the cultists, there's likely to have been significant change in the other direction, plus anti-Trump Republicans won't struggle too much to bite their tongue and vote Biden. 

All of that needs to happen in the right numbers and in the right states to make a difference, and I don't see either Joe Biden or the "Get Trump Out" mentality being powerful enough to drive voting numbers, so I'm not remotely optimistic, but there could be enough to push him out the door.

29 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

In the last 24 hours Trump's scandalous tax returns came out, a judge overturned his ban on Tik Tok, Jared Kushner deleted all his tweets and ex campaign manager Brad Parscale barricaded himself in his house and threatened to shoot himself. This is not where you want to be 5 weeks before an election.

I'm not sure any of it matters, to be honest. Anyone who would have their mind changed by any of this already changed their mind, and anyone who wouldn't is still going to be a die-hard supporter. If he could be brought down by scandal, corruption or incompetence, he'd never have been elected in the first place.

Yes did my research and the Kushner thing is indeed FAKE NEWS. My bad. 

For anyone following the debates I recommend The Behaviour Panel on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_8ri2rYergbu_06VNSPlw

Four body language experts who look at all sorts of interviews (Prince Andrew, Bob Lazar and Carol Baskin led me to them originally and are all worth checking out). They take interviews and analyse behaviours, language and gestures for signs of stress, lying, fight or flight that sort of thing. They are covering the debates and have prepared some short videos on what to look out for as well as a longer piece looking at how the candidates deal with stress in previous debates. Should be a good companion piece and they are genuine experts with military and political backgrounds. 

I would not bet against Trump despite my post but the problems are certainly mounting up for him, not to mention the country being seemingly on the brink of civil war and making a right balls up of the pandemic. Joe Biden is rubbish too but as others rightly have pointed out, he's not Hilary Clinton who you could argue was as toxic as Trump in the electorate's eyes last time. There is hope. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

The got pulled up on the tax avoiding thing back when he was campaigning. He just said at a rally that he’s not a tax avoider, he’s just smart, and they all cheered him. 

They cheered him for saying they’re thicker than him for paying tax properly!  If they’re still supporting him four years later, a little thing like this isn’t going to swing anyone. 

If you're going to a Trump rally five weeks before the election, I think you're pretty much locked in as a Trump voter.

14 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

He has lost some support, it just depends whether it's been in the right geographic areas because the map is so ludicrously gerrymandered in Republicans' favour. And if he loses by a close margin, he'll take it to the Supreme Court which he's in a rushed process of making heavily weighted towards his side as well.

The House districts are gerrymandered. The boundaries for the Senate and (with a few exceptions) the Electoral College are the same as the borders of the states. 

Not to say that the system doesn't have an in-built bias towards the Republicans at the moment, but it's not entirely down to gerrymandering. 

Not Trump specific, but Netflix today released a three part series called Whose Vote Counts which explains the history of the voting system in America, and whilst it might be a bit lightweight for some, me and my 10 year old found it really interesting.

Quite heavy on the graphics as Netflix is prone to do (and they flash in and out too quickly sometimes) but worth a watch for anyone that wants an understanding of how the system works.

Quite a bit of AOC as well, which is always a bonus.

11 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Definitely. It will also be rough if Trump loses but refuses to leave. Both things are equally likely. 

An alternative to the refusing-to-leave prediction which piqued my interest over the weekend was that if he loses heavily (leaving very little doubt over mail-in votes making a difference) it's not totally bonkers to believe he might leave that morning, two months before Biden is supposed to take over. Imagine that!

Tonight's six topics, which will be debated for 15 minutes each:

1. Trump & Biden's records

2. Supreme Court

3. Coronavirus pandemic

4. Race protests and violence in the cities

5. Election integrity

6. Economy 

Trump doing daily press conferences, tweeting all day every day, and frequent public rallies will surely work in the Democrats favour.

They know his opinions on all six of those topics and could probably repeat his shite almost word-for-word including which specific statistics he will point out and focus on.

So they have no excuse not to be ready for that.

Biden on the other hand doesn't do anywhere near as many press conferences, public rallies, or tweets.

So he in theory should have some stuff ready which Trump is going to have to think-on-his-feet very quickly to be able to get the upper hand.

And it's being hosted by the guy who told Trump back in July that he took the same cognitive test that Trump bragged about passing and it was ridiculously easy.

Edited by dopper