It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

Call it outsiders' optimism, but the situation is different here. The Kards and Beyonce have been pretty divisive the past decade or so, and Clinton was the epitome of establishment entitlement. Here, you have almost-universally adored Dwayne Johnson putting his support behind the kindly-looking safe hand and strong woman of color.

• Paid Members
42 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

So this confirms what was suspected. What now? Is anything going to be done about it?

I expect his legal team will find some justification as to why. As per his famous quote about shooting someone on the street, there is literally nothing he could do or say that would stop the majority of his fanatical follows voting for him. The fact his slogan is still Make America Great Again, because he hasn't been able to over the last 4 years, and people are still buying it means were in for another awful term. I just hope I am wrong.

He has lost some support, it just depends whether it's been in the right geographic areas because the map is so ludicrously gerrymandered in Republicans' favour. And if he loses by a close margin, he'll take it to the Supreme Court which he's in a rushed process of making heavily weighted towards his side as well.

Not sure if that's intended as a rebuttal to my comment about him losing support, but I'm aware how crazily devoted his cult are. That's not where all his votes came from in 2016 though, and you can see people turning against him (for a wide range of reasons, some more noble than others) daily - see these two Twitter pages for some examples.

I can't imagine anybody who didn't vote for Trump in 2016 will have seen or heard anything over the last 4 years to become a new supporter of his.

So a big unknown going in to this election is how many people who did vote for him last time will now be voting the other way.

I think that is what will swing it in Biden's favour based on him not following through the promise to build the wall, more people being unemployed now than in 2016, today's revelation that he hasn't paid taxes year after year, and so on.

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Not sure if that's intended as a rebuttal to my comment about him losing support, but I'm aware how crazily devoted his cult are. That's not where all his votes came from in 2016 though, and you can see people turning against him (for a wide range of reasons, some more noble than others) daily - see these two Twitter pages for some examples.

Apologies. Not a rebuttal, just an example of the cult we're facing. I really hope that it is the minority. But I know of one person in the states who 9 months ago couldn't stand trump. She has since gone down a right wing rabbit hole, shares loads of links which flag up by fact check as being false on her page, and when I ask anything tells me I need to not look at the lamestream media and allow god to show me the way.

I unfriended the crank

Yes, unfortunately social media has been a fertile breeding ground for conspiracy theories - QAnon, etc. The likes of Facebook have a lot to answer for in allowing their platforms and their algorithms to be weaponised. When you build something designed to manipulate the public at scale, it's almost inevitable that it will be abused in ways you didn't intend, and you have a responsibility to guard against those efforts. These companies are failing massively in that obligation.

Anybody with Netflix should check out the new 90-minute documentary, The Social Dilemma.

• Moderators

If it makes you feel better I've heard from 2-3 people who I know voted Trump in 2016 who say there is no way they'll vote for him this time and are voting Biden. Very small sample size, but there definitely was a trend of people who did not vote for Clinton because they despised her and felt like Trump might be "a breath of fresh air".

You only see the die-hard cultists on social media/TV because...it gets clicks/views. I'm optimistic that Trump will lose, I believe both he and his team know it as they are already harping on about fake election results etc. What will be very telling is if the GOP politicians start moving away from him - they are spineless cunts who will jump on and off ship very quickly to protect themselves.

In the last 24 hours Trump's scandalous tax returns came out, a judge overturned his ban on Tik Tok, Jared Kushner deleted all his tweets and ex campaign manager Brad Parscale barricaded himself in his house and threatened to shoot himself. This is not where you want to be 5 weeks before an election.

The got pulled up on the tax avoiding thing back when he was campaigning. He just said at a rally that he’s not a tax avoider, he’s just smart, and they all cheered him. 

They cheered him for saying they’re thicker than him for paying tax properly!  If they’re still supporting him four years later, a little thing like this isn’t going to swing anyone. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Guy Bifkin said:

In the last 24 hours Trump's scandalous tax returns came out, a judge overturned his ban on Tik Tok, Jared Kushner deleted all his tweets and ex campaign manager Brad Parscale barricaded himself in his house and threatened to shoot himself. This is not where you want to be 5 weeks before an election.

Would you still bet on him not getting back in?