Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
On 10/3/2017 at 2:05 PM, BomberPat said:

The closest to a WCW-branded show the WWF ever produced was the last 20 minutes of RAW, featuring the Bagwell/Booker T match that pretty much sunk the whole angle. The crowd shit on it,

I think they did a Shane Helms match on the following Smackdown which also bombed.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, bAzTNM#1 said:

I think they did a Shane Helms match on the following Smackdown which also bombed.

I thought it was a Smackdown they did the Booker T/Buff Bagwell match on? Hudson and Uncle Arn were pretty bad as commentators and Booker/Buff;'s timing was off because of the bigger ring? I'm guessing the failure of that match combined with the reception it received was probably why we got the Invasion in the first place as opposed to WWF Monday Night Raw and WCW Thursday Night Thunder, both produced under the "WWFE" banner.

13 minutes ago, Shy Dad said:

Fairly sure it was Kidman vs Helms for the Cruiserweight belt and the first WCW title change on WWE TV. Fairly sure I watched the match back a few weeks ago. 

Booker T v DDP also was on that Smackdown, then the previously mentioned tag match on Heat.

13 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

Who were the big WCW names that weren't contracted at the time the buyout happened? Hogan? And then Flair by the time the invasion started? Was there anyone else?

I never heard that before. Were there ever reports of WWE reaching out to either Hogan or Flair at the time to be part of the InVasion?

Hogan was in limbo at the time wasn't he after the Russo/Jarrett stuff, he'd have been an odd choice to spear head a WCW invasion of anything at the time right?

Edited by Pinc

22 minutes ago, Pinc said:

I never heard that before. Were there ever reports of WWE reaching out to either Hogan or Flair at the time to be part of the InVasion?

Hogan was in limbo at the time wasn't he after the Russo/Jarrett stuff, he'd have been an odd choice to spear head a WCW invasion of anything at the time right?

Yeah, I think he'd have been a strange choice. In the thing Lister quoted above, it mentioned the refusal to bring in the out of contract WCW big names, and I can't think of there being many of those - the nature of the business at the time meant all the stars tended to be locked down.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Who were the big WCW names that weren't contracted at the time the buyout happened? Hogan? And then Flair by the time the invasion started? Was there anyone else?

Everyone, essentially. All the top talent had contracts with Time Warner as opposed to WCW. They were offered something like 30 cents on the dollar for a buyout. The only one to take it was DDP. Shame really, as 2001 Prime Steiner (drop foot or not) being there could have changed the game,

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Everyone, essentially. All the top talent had contracts with Time Warner as opposed to WCW. They were offered something like 30 cents on the dollar for a buyout. The only one to take it was DDP. Shame really, as 2001 Prime Steiner (drop foot or not) being there could have changed the game,

Does anyone know anyone who never watched WCW at all? They must exist and had no idea about what was on wcw during the 90's. Imagine watching Scott Steiner in 93 as a brother and then him turning up during the invasion with chain mail, swearing at everyone and rectangular biceps.