Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Merzbow said:

The guys behind the latest Mortal Kombat used the WWE licence for a mobile game a year or so ago, I'd love a full on arcadey game by them.

Wasn't the Wrestlemania arcade game an attempt to make a Street Fighter/Mortal Combat style game - albeit in a 1995 WWF style? I enjoyed that. Wasnt anything like wrestling games have been since or like SF/MK but decent button bashing.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:26 PM, BomberPat said:

It's also the perfect opportunity for the kind of "but can they co-exist?" storyline that WWE normally love - imagine, say, Kevin Owens and Shane McMahon, still sworn enemies, having to team together as part of Team Smackdown. Can they put aside their differences for the greater good? How will it play out if Smackdown's chances fall to them having to work together?

They did this at last years Survivor Series, pretty much killed American Alpha dead as they completely forgot that the Uso's nearly ended Gables career a few weeks previous.

It was beyond stupid, why do we have to have Raw vs Smackdown at all?

Survivor Series could easily have been say Brock/Balor, Jinder/AJ a 5 on 5 with team Shane against team Owens, another 5 on 5 with the Shield plus partners against Strowman's team, a couple of womans matches, a cruiserweight 5 on 5 etc.

The Raw/Smackdown thing just comes off as really "exhibition" stuff, where nothing of any note will happen.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

The Raw/Smackdown thing just comes off as really "exhibition" stuff, where nothing of any note will happen.

Could be interesting if it created tension between a RAW guy and a Smackdown guy, who could butt heads again at the Rumble, and set up for a big "interpromotional" match at Wrestlemania. But it won't. And even if it did, they're spoiling the appeal of that kind of match anyway by having Jinder/Brock happen at Survivor Series for some sodding reason.

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Wasn't the Wrestlemania arcade game an attempt to make a Street Fighter/Mortal Combat style game - albeit in a 1995 WWF style? I enjoyed that. Wasnt anything like wrestling games have been since or like SF/MK but decent button bashing.

Yeah it was by Midway who I think were the devs/publishers of MK at the time, it had a bit of NBA Jam about it too. I still play once in a while.

12 hours ago, Weezenal said:

WWE All Stars was a decent game.

Really is great fun to play.  Still play this with the kids.  They love the huge over the top finishers and the cartoon look to the wrestlers.  actually able to create some pretty decent wrestlers with it as well with a bit of work.  Not happy I lose to an 8 year old though.  I've become the rubbish dad that has a go but is whooping boy for the family :)

• Paid Members

I re-watched Adam Rose's debut on NXT. I know he didn't help himself, but I really think WWE missed the boat on that gimmick. So much potential initially, and could have been a massive deal with the entrance if they'd done a bit more with it. Not much top shout about in-ring, but a decent hand and had the character down pat.  

• Paid Members

Even in-ring - in NXT, at least, he had something different to most of the main roster; he busted out a few Les Kellett comedy spots in his first couple of matches under the gimmick, and could have got over doing that sort of thing.

With the gimmick, I think it was mostly a classic "Vince doesn't get the reference" thing. The moment he was on the main roster, it stopped being about Adam Rose as a party animal, and all about "there's a bloke dressed as a rabbit".

That said, he's proven himself to be an utter scumbag since, so it's no bad thing he didn't make it big.

There was one episode of Raw where they hitned Rose could be much darker, and that could have been really intriguing, but then they ditched it. Can't remember what happened exactly, but he'd just lost a match, was really pissed off, and none of the backing group were dancing. he cut off mid-interview to scream at them all to start dancing, so they did, looking shocked. That hint could have made the character loads more interesting, but was never seen again.

I was thinking about starting an unpopular opinions thread but I don't know what the rules are re: arbitrarily starting new threads, so I'll stick my unpopular opinion here instead.

Mick Foley's Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker was awful. Emphasis on the word match. As an angle I guess it further put Mick over as a stuntman who would do anything to get over.

Did he ever have a good match in WWE that didn't need bells and whistles?

HBK at Mind Games I suppose, but, I remember being underwhelmed by that when I last watched it.

This week I've been watching the Champions League games on a stream from India (bear with me). Think the channel is called Sony TV or Sony Network.

Anyway, they had a big advert for Diwali which showed all the biggest names in sport, Messi, Neymar, LeBron, UFC fighters, Anthony Joshua, and most prominently of all Jinder Mahal. He was probably featured more than Messi, and I never really realised that he is on a level with them over there until I saw it.

Also, they're showing TLC for free on Monday at 6pm, and again, I didn't realise they got it for free over there. My random thought for the day

• Paid Members

Yeah that's partly the strangest thing of the lot about the attempt to monetise the Indian market. They get all the PPV's for free on TV on the Monday, and due to the time difference they get to see them at a very reasonable time of the day. 

It's also not a market that pays good-high amounts of money for tickets for sport, and I gather for a many sports (other than cricket) tickets are even given away free or very cheaply. 

• Awards Moderator
29 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I was thinking about starting an unpopular opinions thread but I don't know what the rules are re: arbitrarily starting new threads, so I'll stick my unpopular opinion here instead.

Mick Foley's Hell in a Cell match with Undertaker was awful. Emphasis on the word match. As an angle I guess it further put Mick over as a stuntman who would do anything to get over.

Did he ever have a good match in WWE that didn't need bells and whistles?

HBK at Mind Games I suppose, but, I remember being underwhelmed by that when I last watched it.

If you want to start a new thread, go for it! 

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Yeah that's partly the strangest thing of the lot about the attempt to monetise the Indian market. They get all the PPV's for free on TV on the Monday, and due to the time difference they get to see them at a very reasonable time of the day. 

It's also not a market that pays good-high amounts of money for tickets for sport, and I gather for a many sports (other than cricket) tickets are even given away free or very cheaply. 

Is it purely because of the size of the population that so many are keen to crack that market, or are their long term projections that the market will change and become more profitable as the country becomes wealthier?

• Paid Members

I guess it could be both. As well as that it's possible WWE feel that if they make a big enough star out of Jinder in India, that when the next TV deal comes up over there that they could possibly remove the first run airings of the PPV's from the package, without hurting the financial deal for themselves. At the same time they have created somebody that the Indian market would be willing to pay to see on the Network. Or else they just use him as leverage for a bigger TV deal.

Whether these things are really possible is another debate. When it comes to things that are built into a culture, then there is little that could be done to change that I imagine. Mexico and Japan are tiny markets for PPV but huge markets for Network TV. Japan has little interest in Cable television compared to Network televison, and even less for streaming services.

India may be similar to both, but due to the population size like you mentioned Pat, if a tiny percentage of those people can be converted to paying customers then I guess that's what they are hoping for. I do think it'll be at a cost to WWE's domestic market though, as Smackdown house's are really suffering. 

Edited by WeeAl