Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Does anyone know anyone who never watched WCW at all? They must exist and had no idea about what was on wcw during the 90's. Imagine watching Scott Steiner in 93 as a brother and then him turning up during the invasion with chain mail, swearing at everyone and rectangular biceps.

Unless you count the occasional five-minute glimpse of Misfits In Action when it was on Channel 5, I never saw a moment of WCW when it was around. I'd heard of the likes of Goldberg and Sting, and knew of the Monday Night Wars through Mick Foley's book and things like that, but never watched it. The lack of big stars during the Invasion was totally lost on me - as far as I was concerned, DDP and Booker T were the best they had to offer at the end!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Does anyone know anyone who never watched WCW at all? They must exist and had no idea about what was on wcw during the 90's. Imagine watching Scott Steiner in 93 as a brother and then him turning up during the invasion with chain mail, swearing at everyone and rectangular biceps.

I did watch WCW, but after the initial boom at the start of the 90s, I didn't get back into watching wrestling until 1998 when other kids at school suddenly started to talk about wrestling again and the N64 games had caught my attention. Watching Nitro, Scott Steiner was the first recognisable old name I saw and I could barely believe it was the same guy that I remembered having the brown mullet years before. It was an unbelievably brilliant transformation.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Unless you count the occasional five-minute glimpse of Misfits In Action when it was on Channel 5, I never saw a moment of WCW when it was around. I'd heard of the likes of Goldberg and Sting, and knew of the Monday Night Wars through Mick Foley's book and things like that, but never watched it. The lack of big stars during the Invasion was totally lost on me - as far as I was concerned, DDP and Booker T were the best they had to offer at the end!

Can you remember seeing Scott as poppa pump for the first time following his stint as a Michigan brother?

• Awards Moderator
7 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Can you remember seeing Scott as poppa pump for the first time following his stint as a Michigan brother?

I can, but it wasn't until the announcement on WWE.com that they'd signed him in autumn 2002. I couldn't connect him to the 'other' Scott Steiner at all - it took until he was on TV and he'd done more than just entrances, and taken the sunglasses and chain mail off, that I recognised anything of the guy from the 90s who teamed with Rick and wore horrible colourful singlets. Same beady eyes. But other than that, unrecognisable. It was a bit like when people used to tell you that Undertaker was a different person now - I can't think of anyone else whose look changed so significantly without a total gimmick and character overhaul like Yankem/Kane. I would have believed him a different man if my common sense hadn't told me otherwise!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

When got back in n wrestling in 98 having only ever watched WWF previously, I remember playing WCW NWO Revenge and clapping eyes on Steiner. I refused to believe that was the same guy I'd seen years earlier in WWF. Blew my mind. 

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

When got back in n wrestling in 98 having only ever watched WWF previously, I remember playing WCW NWO Revenge and clapping eyes on Steiner. I refused to believe that was the same guy I'd seen years earlier in WWF. Blew my mind. 

Similar to me. I stopped when Mankind debuted and I remembered renting out of a video shop (game rentals, oh the 90's) and seeing Hulk on it blew my mind as I thought he'd quit wrestling when he left the WWF and seeing Steiner in the game confused me greatly. Him and Van Hammer

Quite amusing reading the retro Bad Blood review on the Torch website with the benefit of hindsight. The first one is from Bruce Mitchell, who is still pretending to have a clue to this day.  

The other superlative that describes this match is worst debut of a major new heel, along with worst finish. If anyone doesn’t understand one of the major reasons why WCW beats the WWF in the ratings every Monday it was capsulized in the moment Vince McMahon, after watching this incredible match, looked at Glen Jacobs in that cheesy bodysuit and burbled “look at the size of him!” while everyone around him in the Kiel just shook their heads, Vince McMahon, and the WWF better start realizing that ’90s wrestling is not big-man wrestling.

This had to be the best cage match in WWF history, but sadly the WWF ruined it with the debut of yet another silly gimmick that will not last long.

But I just can’t take Kane seriously as long as he looks like a goofy luchador. Florescent red may get heel heat for Alex Wright, but nobody else should take the gamble.

What was going through Vince McMahon’s head when he turned perhaps the match of the year into the tailspin ripoff screwjob match of the year ending with that stupid gimmick-looking costume that Kane was wearing? We’re supposed to buy into that crap? Why not give the fans what they want to see?

On 8 October 2017 at 9:53 PM, CTXRussomark said:

Quite amusing reading the retro Bad Blood review on the Torch website with the benefit of hindsight. The first one is from Bruce Mitchell, who is still pretending to have a clue to this day.  

To be fair at the time everyone seen Kane as the latest monster of the week for undertaker to defeat and move on 

On 11/10/2017 at 6:04 AM, UK Kat Von D said:

In New York at the moment and I've taken a liking to drinking/sleeping in the Bowery. Can't get the feeling out of my head every time that I see the word Bowery that I now know why Raven was fucked up and pissed off all the time.

Edited by Porkchopcash

• Paid Members

I've never seen anything of Sullivan's outside of the Hogan vs. Dungeon of Doom/Alliance to End Hulkamania stuff. Obviously he was know as having a mega creative mind, but what was he like as a wrestler in his prime?