Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Not so much now but it used to be a thing to criticise it. I can't imagine anyone in the moment thinking Hulk was turning. The criticism is either hindsight or comes from the small number of people who'd read the Observer, knew Hulk was rumoured to be turning and thus the Heenan commentary meant something different to them IMO. It's all nonsense, of course. It fits the Heenan character to a tee.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Yeah, exactly. I've heard people say it could have ruined the moment, or that it was an unfortunate remark in hindsight, but I've never heard a serious argument made that it actually ruined anything.

From what I understand, the criticism wasn't so much that he ruined the turn by telegraphing it, but that he put the idea into people's heads at all - that, up to that point, the idea hadn't even occurred to anyone that he'd do anything except come to the rescue.

I still don't agree with it, though. It's a perfectly executed moment, and an iconic moment in wrestling history, up there with the Andre slam and Austin 3:16.

• Awards Moderator
12 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

From what I understand, the criticism wasn't so much that he ruined the turn by telegraphing it, but that he put the idea into people's heads at all - that, up to that point, the idea hadn't even occurred to anyone that he'd do anything except come to the rescue.

I still don't agree with it, though. It's a perfectly executed moment, and an iconic moment in wrestling history, up there with the Andre slam and Austin 3:16.

Would it not have made it obvious if Heenan didn’t have a go at Hogan when he ran in?

It was always just snarky, smarky nit-picking. Heenan's line was fine. Perfectly in keeping with character. If anything it added to the moment because you were mentally like '*eye roll*... Heenan having a go at Hogan without warrant again... oh fuck!'

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Would it not have made it obvious if Heenan didn’t have a go at Hogan when he ran in?

Exactly, that's why I don't agree with it. If Heenan suddenly started cheering Hogan on to the rescue, that would've flagged things up even more.

Only thing that did mystify me was when he agreed with "I think we've just seen the death of Hulkamania" - I simply expected to hear an "I told you so" from him.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Nick James said:

I'm very surprised that in the current era, there hasn't been a drive in wrestling event run by AEW or WWE as a way to get more fans in.

In theory, that's a great idea. In reality, a shitload of people beeping their horns for three hours would be a nightmare of Road Wild proportions. 

I've been surprised that they haven't just hired a crew of extras, kept them in a bubble and tested them. Bet they'd have found hundreds of fans who wouldn't have even wanted paying, just their face on TV and a sniff of Alexa Bliss's armpits.

Kane being used as clickbait for an animal abuser from Grimsby is the oddest thing I’ve seen in a while. Contains detail of animal cruelty - https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/man-cooks-cat-oven-says-4493222.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members

6 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Kane being used as clickbait for an animal abuser from Grimsby is the oddest thing I’ve seen in a while. Contains detail of animal cruelty - https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/man-cooks-cat-oven-says-4493222.amp?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar&__twitter_impression=true

Nice Liverpool cap and jacket combo.... Definately what you want to wear to court.

0_JS218153992.jpg

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

Watching the AJ Styles/John Cena Timeline show on the Network, remembering all the great matches AJ had when he first came in. Exactly when did he stop being great? Other than the Boneyard match I can’t remember the last time AJ had a truly blow away match. Am I forgetting any from the last few years?