Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Watching the AJ Styles/John Cena Timeline show on the Network, remembering all the great matches AJ had when he first came in. Exactly when did he stop being great? Other than the Boneyard match I can’t remember the last time AJ had a truly blow away match. Am I forgetting any from the last few years?

I'm not sure it's all on him. I honestly couldn't remember who he's worked with over the last few years so just read his Wiki and he's had a LOT of forgettable feuds with people I wouldn't expect him to have great matches with unfortunately.

The Nakamura stuff was the biggest let down probably. And his Joe feud was a bit messy and personal rather than what it could've been.

His work with Lesnar and Bryan was probably the closest to what I'd want from him.

• Paid Members

I was thinking about the WWE hall of fame, I know no one really cares about it anyway but having a place other than WWE to wind down your career is going to make putting people in even more awkward.

Until now old wrestlers would either be working for WWE or the Indies/doing conventions and be available to go in the HOF if they were called on, not necessarily the case at the moment.

Using Chris Jericho as an example; if he ends his career being an ideas man and doing commentary for AEW til he dies, presumably they'll never put him in the WWE HOF. It doesn't matter but the HOF is shit enough already without them not being able to induct everyone who belongs there.

3 hours ago, Supremo said:

Watching the AJ Styles/John Cena Timeline show on the Network, remembering all the great matches AJ had when he first came in. Exactly when did he stop being great? Other than the Boneyard match I can’t remember the last time AJ had a truly blow away match. Am I forgetting any from the last few years?

Daniel Bryan for the ic title was one of the best matches this year. The Jeff hardy and gran metallic matches were very very good..... He tore the house down with brock, the Daniel Bryan matches over the wwe belt were great.... Had really good matches with finn balor and ricochet and Cedric Alexander...... 

AJ is at that wonderful stage where he doesn't need to be top of the card, and he wrestles exactly how his place on the card dictates...... 

When indy wrestling resumes in this country, which promotion's going to have a referee called Marshall who's more concerned with keeping the wrestlers apart than the rules of the match? Turning his back to wipe down turnbuckles while the heel lifts his mask to spray covid mist and what am I doing with my life...

• Paid Members

Mercedes F1 boss Toto Wolff on why they shouldn't replace qualifying with grids in reverse championship order:

"It is not worldwide wrestling, where the outcome is completely random."

I don't think he fully understands wrestling.

Jim Cornette might want to stop calling Kenny Omega bug-eyed, amongst the other slurs he regularly throws at him. If I remember correctly, Kenny has some Mediterranean or Middle Eastern heritage. If that is the case, calling him bug-eyed, apart from being unpleasant, also strays well into racist territory, unwittingly or otherwise. I wonder if Cornette ever worked the racist territory during the 80's?

15 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

The dogs are in the enclosed pool area.

CC4FB423-59DB-45D0-ACE1-DA0B57AA2E61.gif

Poor Owen never stood a chance to protect himself on any of those landings. Wonder if Ahmed got some heat backstage for those. 

Is anyone else fed up of the “ real” aspect of wrestling these days? I watched the clip on the AEW thread of Dustin Rhodes, and whilst he is indeed on of the all-time greats, I’m fed up with wrestlers talking about what it means to them, how they were big fans, it’s their dream etc. 
 I long for the days of massive tanned guys, crazy bright outfits, gimmick names, rambling promos, short matches to build to something meaningful....I was watching Rumble 94 with my boys last night and I quoted ,word-for-word, The promo The Undertaker did after his casket match. 26 years on it still stays with me. Apart from select moments from this years rumble, I couldn’t quote anything recent. Everything is so samey, not much stands out. 

1 hour ago, NorthSeaTiger said:

Is anyone else fed up of the “ real” aspect of wrestling these days? I watched the clip on the AEW thread of Dustin Rhodes, and whilst he is indeed on of the all-time greats, I’m fed up with wrestlers talking about what it means to them, how they were big fans, it’s their dream etc. 

Depends how it's done really. Dustin is probably a bad example to use as his genuine nature and believability makes him stand out. Those promos and that passion makes him far easier to support than others.

If anything I'd like MORE of that. I don't think it being their dream etc is necessarily the issue. It's just whether it comes across as heartfelt and something you can get behind or not. It's hard to believe anyone would watch Dustin and not want the guy to succeed.

Looking at WrestlingData because I can't sleep.

According to the site and counting only Nitro matches, Hulk Hogan has a win/loss record of -9, having lost 38 matches, won 29 and drawn 8. 304 wrestlers have a better win/loss ratio than him on Nitro (because of WCW's random nature a lot of these are people who only ever had 1 or 2 matches). 

These wrestlers include Bill Demott, Norman Smiley, MI Smooth, The Wall, David Flair, Yuji Nagata, Juvi, Shawn Stasiak, Ernest Miller, Ultimo Dragon, Perry Saturn and Dean Malenko. 

Obviously if you wanted to include people who wrestled hardly any matches you get people like Russo, Charles Robinson, Nick Patrick, X-Fly, etc. 

Horse running today called Double W's has made me think that Vince should have just changed the name of the company to Double WF, then I realised it'd still be written as WWF and part of my brain melted and ran out of my nose (last bit might not have happened) 

Been watching a bunch of 1998 Bradshaw and, I tell you what, he was fucking class. 

He's in great shape, has a good, solid look and is working his ass off whether he's in the ring with Vader or Funaki. 

Kind of a shame the Brawl for All messed up his run, although him getting KO'd like he did is obviously very funny. 

I reckon if this Bradshaw had've been in 80s NWA or some Texas territory, he'd have been a top star. 

17 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

Been watching a bunch of 1998 Bradshaw and, I tell you what, he was fucking class. 

He's in great shape, has a good, solid look and is working his ass off whether he's in the ring with Vader or Funaki. 

Kind of a shame the Brawl for All messed up his run, although him getting KO'd like he did is obviously very funny. 

I reckon if this Bradshaw had've been in 80s NWA or some Texas territory, he'd have been a top star. 

I agree. When he gave a shit, he reminded me of Stan Hansen. When I was having a Terry Funk binge a few months back, I came across this match and it's probably the best TV match WWE put out in 1998. Bradshaw's a total beast.