Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

It's not just that MSG is pricey to hire, but to broadcast live from Manhattan you have to pay a massive fee as well, which is why they don't mind doing PPVs Raw Smackdown NXT from Brooklyn, but they still do 3 or 4 house shows at MSG a year.

The only reason they did the Raw and Smackdowns from MSG last year is because MSG had NJPW do a show, would have let AAA do a show there if they'd sold enough tickets (and I think NJPW had another scheduled show there for this year).  The owners of MSG for some reason wanted WWE to do televised shows from there again and WWE probably agreed to it in exchange for MSG not letting AEW do a show there or something.

• Paid Members

Yeah unfortunately that entrance way was done away with. They still kept the signature roof, but I loved seeing that short entrance way directly opposite the hard cam. It immediately made you sit up and go "this is MSG, and this show is important". 

For the sake of tradition, and since they must still be able to break even on it (at least for a major show, even if they don't make as much profit as the Barclay centre) I'd love WWE to run it every now and again. 

Has Chris Jericho ever been able to take a dragon screw leg whip? I'm watching a vid of him vs The Rock from a random 2000 Raw, and he falls flat on his arse just like he did against Orange Cassidy three times straight. Pretty funny how he was struggling with it even 20 years ago.

The pre-match promo with him and The Rock stealing each others catchphrases is unbelievable. Man, I took The Rock for granted back in the day. He was fucking untouchable back then.

• Paid Members

Same shit, different King Of The Ring;

D2B45CE7-A24F-468D-9E8B-99AF9A2CBE99.gif

51E5C6A3-C74C-4ECE-82CF-7F4FD9A624D2.gif

Never picked up on the nod to their 94 match before. Probably because I’ve never watched the 98 match back until now and it’s not a patch on the first one. Owen’s looks 10x better but Christ, I’m surprised Kid was conscious for the actual match after that. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I was thinking the other day again how WWE royally screwed up the Rousey / Lynch / Flair main event. Not just the ridiculous finish but the build up being about the McMahon's and the stupid twists and turns eroding the interest. I'd loved to have seen it take on a more MMA/boxing approach with the match being set earlier on and loads of build up with just promos and training videos. Rousey could have had the horsewoman and a load of trainers in her corner and training vids while Charlotte has the horsemen or at least Arn and her dad and Becky could have had an Irish contingent with Findlay and Finn involved. They would have all looked like a lot bigger deal with massive entourages leading them to the ring before disappearing and letting them fight it out with Becky tapping Rousey out instead of what we got.

• Paid Members

From time to time, I'll watch that Becky Lynch promo after Royal Rumble when she just looks her in the eyes and says "I choose you" and shake my head in disbelief at what that became. Just everything that's wrong with WWE on that level. They employ incredible people and they're capable of moments of brilliance but the sheer amount of content they have to produce and the desperation to draw an audience every Monday night just leads to over-thinking everything, stringing it out for false drama and inserting characters who aren't relevent or required into everything to try and help.

If ever a match needed nothing much beyond the SummerSlam 2002 Rock/Brock vignettes, it was that one. The marquee and that magic moment sold it.

3 hours ago, simonworden said:

I was thinking the other day again how WWE royally screwed up the Rousey / Lynch / Flair main event. Not just the ridiculous finish but the build up being about the McMahon's and the stupid twists and turns eroding the interest. I'd loved to have seen it take on a more MMA/boxing approach with the match being set earlier on and loads of build up with just promos and training videos. Rousey could have had the horsewoman and a load of trainers in her corner and training vids while Charlotte has the horsemen or at least Arn and her dad and Becky could have had an Irish contingent with Findlay and Finn involved. They would have all looked like a lot bigger deal with massive entourages leading them to the ring before disappearing and letting them fight it out with Becky tapping Rousey out instead of what we got.

It also suffered from being the last match on a 7 hour show.

51 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

It also suffered from being the last match on a 7 hour show.

True, I was thinking of the stuff directly related to the match though. Can't discount however how since Mania 32 when they extended the show by 100 hours the main events have all pretty much been flat apart from the emotion of Takers "retirement".

I was thinking the other day that it’s strange that The Simpson’s have never done a proper pro wrestling episode (apart from that one where they find out Grandpa was a wrestler in the 50’s). I’m pretty sure Bret Hart is the only wrestling cameo ever on the show. No Hogan, no Rock, no Stone Cold. I would have thought they would have been a shoe in for making an appearance during the big boom periods.