Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

10 hours ago, pitseleh said:

I agree. When he gave a shit, he reminded me of Stan Hansen. When I was having a Terry Funk binge a few months back, I came across this match and it's probably the best TV match WWE put out in 1998. Bradshaw's a total beast.

The video's been taken down. What match was it? 

On 9/13/2020 at 1:36 PM, NorthSeaTiger said:

Is anyone else fed up of the “ real” aspect of wrestling these days? I watched the clip on the AEW thread of Dustin Rhodes, and whilst he is indeed on of the all-time greats, I’m fed up with wrestlers talking about what it means to them, how they were big fans, it’s their dream etc. 
 I long for the days of massive tanned guys, crazy bright outfits, gimmick names, rambling promos, short matches to build to something meaningful....

100% agree. When wrestlers talk like this they come across as fans and the mystique is destroyed. Has there ever been a money drawing wrestler who had this type of persona? Guys like The Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Hogan, Flair, Piper, Lesner, Savage, Sting, Road Warriors, Taker, Funk never gave that grateful just to have achieved their dream vibe. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, IronSheik said:

Guys like The Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Hogan, Flair, Piper, Lesner, Savage, Sting, Road Warriors, Taker, Funk never gave that grateful just to have achieved their dream vibe. 

Well, he sure did at the beginning. Practically jerking off in Kevin Kelly’s lap at the prospect of debuting in MSG to wrestle where his father had 10 years ago and his grandfather 20 years ago etc.

1 hour ago, IronSheik said:

100% agree. When wrestlers talk like this they come across as fans and the mystique is destroyed. Has there ever been a money drawing wrestler who had this type of persona? Guys like The Rock, Austin, Goldberg, Hogan, Flair, Piper, Lesner, Savage, Sting, Road Warriors, Taker, Funk never gave that grateful just to have achieved their dream vibe. 

I think this is partly because of the change in the industry. While guys like Austin and Rock, and definitely Flair and Funk, we're coming up through a gritty, seedy, rock n roll business full of steroids and coke ramping up their ego, the focus was always on them being the greats. Nowadays the combo of WWE being the sole mainstream wrestling force for around 20 years and WWE's own narrative of WWE being the draw means that it is everyone's dream and they should just be happy to be there, not because they've beaten thousands of others to get to the top, but because they have been 'chosen'.

There's nothing wrong with acknowledging the greats, but there's a difference between pandering and fanboying, and saying you belong alongside them. Dustin saying how grateful he is after a 36 year career of highs and lows, working alongside the masters, being swallowed by his demons, seeing two generations passing him by, and then having the comeback of his life, means much more than a Herbert coming up through the WWE system to headline a B PPV.

Something that wrestling is seriously lacking in 2020 is a Nick Patrick style, heel referee. I actually think it would be quite a fresh idea to do. 

Edit: I'll ask Adam Pearce what he thinks on his next Q&A 😀

Edited by Angle_fan

It could possibly work in AEW with Bryce, Eddie Kingston with their history and the recent decision against him he could bully the lad in to doing heelish acts in favour of him and his boys.

It's not just the typical evil ref thing either, there's more behind it.

Edited by Merzbow