Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I was thinking the other day that it’s strange that The Simpson’s have never done a proper pro wrestling episode (apart from that one where they find out Grandpa was a wrestler in the 50’s). I’m pretty sure Bret Hart is the only wrestling cameo ever on the show. No Hogan, no Rock, no Stone Cold. I would have thought they would have been a shoe in for making an appearance during the big boom periods. 

Why would the Simpsons brand ever want to be associated with the WWF/E? 

36 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

Why would the Simpsons brand ever want to be associated with the WWF/E? 

For the same reason they had any of the other 1000s of celebrity cameos in the show. In the 90s, WWF was massive in popular culture and people like Hulk Hogan were a household name. 

• Paid Members

And the fact Fox would probably love it. 

The barmiest thing for me is there was a time during peak Simpsons it would have made the most sense. Going back to the Baseball episode where a bunch of famous faces got involved, there was scope for WWF to have a crossover episode where Homer became a famous wrestler, instead of the episode where he becomes a boxer instead. Even around the release of that Simpsons wrestling game would have made total sense. 

On 7/8/2020 at 6:41 PM, Syl said:

This view isn't a new one, but wrestling isn't the same no more. The big time feel, the larger than life characters... I know that NXT is the second tier of WWE, but the show is broadcast all over the world. I've just seen their poster for the GAB, and the whole look of it smacks 'Live American Style Wrestling' that you'd see at your local leisure centre. 

Ecamt8mX0AIXSNF?format=jpg&name=medium

I know I'm regurgitating an old post but I'm bored whilst doing the school pick up. 

Why is Johnny Gargano's head seemingly photoshopped onto what looks like his body?  The head looks too big to me, like a caricature.  Can't stop seeing it.

I joke about cocaine and steroids being powerful drugs, but surely they must be a factor in why the stars of yesteryear were so much more colourful. We're also in an era where not only are the stars former fans themselves, but also they play the social media game and have to appear accessible to their fans. In an age where everything is taken at face value, that means following fashion trends and painstakingly trying to avoid looking 'not cool'. Cowboy hats, neon tassels and wraparound shades aren't that. Facepaint, laces and bug eyes aren't that. Spiked shoulderpads and mohawks aren't that. The downside to Insta-celebrity and being 'just like you' is that wrestlers look just like anyone else.

11 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Love the way the Brain always found a way to have his little pops at Ham n Egger Hogan. Even years after Hogan vs the Heenan family was a thing;

77809E48-FF48-4357-8256-EE54B1FAE77D.gif

Yeah people always say Heenan’s “Who Side is he on?” Comment ruined the Hollywood reveal but I always thought it was consistent for someone who hated him.    

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Doctor Whos Next said:

Yeah people always say Heenan’s “Who Side is he on?” Comment ruined the Hollywood reveal but I always thought it was consistent for someone who hated him.    

Does anyone really think that it ruined the Hollywood reveal? It's mostly agreed to be one of the best turns of all time.

Had a flick on Twitch last night and noticed Paige has her own channel on there so clicked on it, jesus she's doing well. She was at over 15k subs which if all are only tier 1 means she'll be getting £3.50 a pop which means 52 grand a month thats not including tips and bits, not a bad little earner.

Rusevs Twitch wasnt doing as well think he was on under 1k subs but still not bad for a couple hours streaming here and there

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

Does anyone really think that it ruined the Hollywood reveal? It's mostly agreed to be one of the best turns of all time.

Not so much now but it used to be a thing to criticise it. I can't imagine anyone in the moment thinking Hulk was turning. The criticism is either hindsight or comes from the small number of people who'd read the Observer, knew Hulk was rumoured to be turning and thus the Heenan commentary meant something different to them IMO. It's all nonsense, of course. It fits the Heenan character to a tee.

2 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Had a flick on Twitch last night and noticed Paige has her own channel on there so clicked on it, jesus she's doing well. She was at over 15k subs which if all are only tier 1 means she'll be getting £3.50 a pop which means 52 grand a month thats not including tips and bits, not a bad little earner.

Rusevs Twitch wasnt doing as well think he was on under 1k subs but still not bad for a couple hours streaming here and there

Twitch money can be pretty fucking wild, but a lot of that isn't pure profit tho as streamers like Pokimane are paying out up to 20 grand a month on people that work for them editing etc.

This is a pretty good look at how the top end works.