Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

On 8/15/2020 at 2:21 PM, The King Of Swing said:

So New Japan, Stardom and now TJPW have all had to cancel shows due to wrestlers testing positive for Covid or in New Japan's case a precautionary measure.

Surely it's only a matter of time until they pull the plug on shows entirely or at the bare minimum go back to empty arena shows?

How AEW have dodged an outbreak so far I don't know.

Well, AEW created a reasonable protocol.Ā  They tested long before anybody else did.Ā  They could get hold of the 1 hour swab test, which isn't perfect but was the best you couldĀ do in the time available, they tested everybody every time they came to Daily's PlaceĀ and separated them while they waited for the results.Ā  When there were suspected exposures, they kept those people far away from the bubble as they could, such as Moxley and QT Marshall.

I'm not sure what New Japan are actually doing as regards testing.

One of the things about that final Nitro that doesn't get talked about enough is how 'final' it is. The only thing that even hints at the future is Shane buying WCW.Ā 

Booker T wins the World title but there's no hint of a potential challenger. There aren't any feuds set up or title chases or anything.Ā 

Admittedly that's mostly out of necessity because they don't have a clue what they're going to do next.

But if you're a WCW fan for all intents and purposes it feels like an ending. There's no hook beyond "Shane has bought WCW."Ā 

It's really a natural end point as a viewer.Ā 

Watching Brian Pillmans ECW debut I feel it's still really good and holds up fairly well considering how insidery the promo is and Shane Douglas "he's shootin' " is a bit shit.

His look is spot on too, grungey Kurt Cobain look was of the times, shame he didn't keep this look all his wwe run instead of wrestling gear and curly-ish hair, grunge look was much better suited for his loose canom gimmick.

Him vs Austin in 98 could've been a hot feud for B level ppvsĀ 

As much as I loved the grunge stylings of both Pillman and ECW in general (Raven, especially) I think it was all a little bit late, Kurt had been dead for two years when 1996 came around and the grunge peak would have been a couple of years before that.

4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

2 years behind is relatively up to date in wrestling terms. For example, Seth Rollins cosplaying as the Night King just the 7 years after GoT started.Ā 

And probably during its peak of popularity, or close to.

It's not like he came out dressed as Sylar.

7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

2 years behind is relatively up to date in wrestling terms. For example, Seth Rollins cosplaying as the Night King just the 7 years after GoT started.Ā 

And Triple Hā€™s Mad Max Fury Road entrance at Wrestlemania about five years after the film came out.Ā 

16 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

As much as I loved the grunge stylings of both Pillman and ECW in general (Raven, especially) I think it was all a little bit late, Kurt had been dead for two years when 1996 came around and the grunge peak would have been a couple of years before that.

Those are two of my favorite to watch back from the 90s, I'm a big fan of grunge so have a soft spot them and the look.

Did the grunge look go up to the late 90s? I can't remember I was early teens and not stylish at all.

The look could've still worked for him and seem authentic, I doubt his body would've made it past 2000 anyway before he did (hopefully) commentary

post Nirvana was a bit of a no mans land til America took to nu metal about the end of 97. Given the insane shit Michaels, HHH and others were wearing on their off moments, like mixtures of business suits and then brazilian cut shorts and loafers, he'd have looked alright for a while.

5 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Those are two of my favorite to watch back from the 90s, I'm a big fan of grunge so have a soft spot them and the look.

Did the grunge look go up to the late 90s? I can't remember I was early teens and not stylish at all.

The look could've still worked for him and seem authentic, I doubt his body would've made it past 2000 anyway before he did (hopefully) commentary

It had morphed into alt/nu-metal by that time IIRC, but that's not a massive departure.

But yeah if anyone would have made it work at that time it was Brian and he put his own flair on it, too.

Early 90's culture both in the US and here was wild, between grunge and the rave/breakbeat-hardcore scene it felt like something genuinely cool was brewing before both were killed off prematurely. I love those 3-4 years that were in their own bubble.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Sergio Bellend said:

And Triple Hā€™s Mad Max Fury Road entrance at Wrestlemania about five years after the film came out.Ā 

Could have been worse: could have came out to a Terminator-themed entranceā€¦Ā 31 years after the film came out.

True but it had been heavily watered down even before the post-Kurt era, your Alice in Chains and Pearl Jams were now MTV friendly butt-rock or on their way there. Not saying the music was even bad, but it certainly didn't have the grunge edge to it.

1996 had Korn's Life Is Peachy charting high and the first album had a huge sales boost at that time, too.

Edited by Merzbow

Antichrist Superstar by Marilyn Manson was the end of 1996 aswell which felt like a bit of a turning point, while you had dogshit like Bush still pushing that post grunge balls. Started there, and well and truly had its day by Woodstock 99

Edited by Cannibal Man