Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

Maybe the former platoon sergeant should look into how a five-time draft dodging Commander-in-Chief, who said of a tortured POW in his own party that "heroes don't get captured," treats the US military.

• Paid Members

Sweet merciful hour, I'm sitting here at me desk listening to the radio in work and the theme song from Saturday Nights Main Event comes on which both elated and confused the shite clean out of me. Then to confuse me even more, I hear a lass and a chap singing lyrics over it. 
Never, ever knew it was an actual song. Quick Google told me otherwise, but I always just attributed that music to either Jimmy Hart or Jim Johnson. Incredible.
Every day truly is a school day.

Who remembers Virgin Media screwing up the live Wrestlemania broadcasts two years in a row? 24 cut out after Hornswoggle came running through the curtain (before the first match) and it only switched back on halfway through Flair vs HBK. If I recall rightly Wrestlemania 23 didn't come on until late either, we missed the opening 15 minutes of that one, Jeff Hardy's entrance being the first thing you saw.

Edit - just recalled that I got a full refund for the 24 show on that month's bill. Fuck you anyway Branson! 

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

This sounds like a fever dream but I’m almost certain there was an attitude era episode of Raw where it opened with Goldust in the ring reciting a Christmas tree poem. For some reason there was also a portaloo in the ring?? JR openly started laughing on commentary at the absurdity of the situation. Austin came out and stunned Goldust into the portaloo.

I need a lie down now.

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Project Nim said:

This sounds like a fever dream but I’m almost certain there was an attitude era episode of Raw where it opened with Goldust in the ring reciting a Christmas tree poem. For some reason there was also a portaloo in the ring?? JR openly started laughing on commentary at the absurdity of the situation. Austin came out and stunned Goldust into the portaloo.

I need a lie down now.

December 97 I believe, I don't have the week sadly but its pre IYH DX IIRC. 

Goldust is dressed as a baby too, unless I'm merging two segments. 

Edited by Tommy!
December 29, 1997 Raw, and he is dressed as a baby

16 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

December 97 I believe, I don't have the week sadly but its pre IYH DX IIRC. 

Goldust is dressed as a baby too, unless I'm merging two segments. 

December 22nd 97 is the one where he comes out as a Christmas Tree but doesn’t open the show it’s quite late on, then the following week (Dec 29th) is the one where he comes out as the New Years Baby with the portaloo which does open the show

Edited by WyattSheepMask

Browsing through a random Observer from February 2003 and there was a note about Velocity and Confidential 'dropping' to a 680,000 viewership and it struck me how close they are to the ratings that AEW and NXT are regularly doing. 

I know how people consume media has changed a lot now, and that a bunch more people obviously watch those shows, but it's just mad to me that people are so invested in a ratings 'war' between two shows pulling in those types of figures. 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I know how people consume media has changed a lot now, and that a bunch more people obviously watch those shows, but it's just mad to me that people are so invested in a ratings 'war' between two shows pulling in those types of figures. 

If that fries your brain, you should see live attendances. Barely a fucker there.

1 hour ago, SaitoRyo said:

Browsing through a random Observer from February 2003 and there was a note about Velocity and Confidential 'dropping' to a 680,000 viewership and it struck me how close they are to the ratings that AEW and NXT are regularly doing. 

Around that same time, Raw was doing about a 3.5 rating. 

Times have changed dramatically. AEW have been quite open about the fact that they are exceeding expectations, so maybe it speaks more that TNT didn't expect 700k viewers? Just how the networks that show WWE seem to be fairly content with their current 1.5-2m viewers?

• Paid Members

I think ratings is a difficult metric in this day and age anyway.

I think a lot is to do with demographics. For years we were told that wrestling wasn't worth much to advertisers, yet we are told at the same time that the 18-49 male audience is quite highly coveted.

Apparently Impact gets anywhere between 150,000 and 200,000 a week on AXS TV and is usually the most watched show on the channel, despite it being available in 50 million homes. So you'd have to think that TNT (albeit a larger network) would be pretty chuffed with three quarters of a million on a Tuesday night.