Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

I can see guys getting to comfortable just being there, as said in friends "they need the fear" look what happens to some guys, they get frustrated or fired then they get motivated and in shape.

At the time it sucked but all the released talent should be a wake up to whole industry to up there game whenever crowds and proper shows start going again.

EC3 looks tremendous and got a new gimmick on the go, Heath looked solid on Raw, Drew/Jinder got jacked when they go fired.

Guys not working now should use this time to get in best shape possible for a return (Will Osprey is looking good), some aew guys should shit themselves at the new talent that could come in.

• Paid Members

I would imagine that one of the greatest benefits is the emotional one - like a footballer who gets to play in the World Cup final, for a wrestler there's no higher accolade than main-eventing and winning the belt at Wrestlemania. Essentially the biggest and most prestigious wrestling promotion in the world saying to its biggest possible audience at its highest level of credibility "this is THE guy".

Obviously, that goes hand-in-hand with the money, but after a point, the money becomes much of a muchness, and just like world-famous millionaire actors and sportsmen who have earned a shit-ton, there comes a point where the simple prestige becomes just as valued, not just because it improves your marketability, but because it's effectively a validation of your career choice and life direction.

5 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

There still has to be an element of being the best right? Like surely every single person that gets into wrestling wants to be a champion in some form or another, despite what some of them may say. I don't think anyone gets in it to be a failure. Sure there's an element of 'okay I must be good, I'm here!' but you get a guy like Drew McIntyre who deliberately went out there on the indys to better himself and prove a damn point, and it clearly means so much to him to reach the top of the mountain now. I can't see many guys not wanting that.

This is something I think is really interesting as a concept. I remember watching a training session at wXw where the session was run by Tommy End/Aleister Black. Must have been 16 Carat weekend or something...  Anyway, Black asked the trainees what their ultimate goal would be in wrestling. Some said that it was to wrestle in front of their family and friends, someone else who wanted to be able to be a champion. After each one, he told them all that their goal was great but isn't the ultimate goal of being a professional wrestler. Maybe the sixth or seventh trainee then said the "correct" answer: Winning the championship in the main event of Wrestlemania. That's what makes you able to say you're the top of the very top.

For so many on the WWE roster, being in the WWE is all they've ever wanted in wrestling. After that, anything is a bonus. You can be incredibly talented by being there and that's great, but the ones who REALLY want it will put the extra effort in, go the extra mile and be that final 0.1 difference.

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, LariatTom said:

For so many on the WWE roster, being in the WWE is all they've ever wanted in wrestling. After that, anything is a bonus.

That's a good point tbh.

When you hear 80s wrestlers on shoot interviews etc, its obvious that appearing on particular shows or even for a specific company didn't excite them as they were essentially just wrestling in another town for another promoter. They may be asked about a particular Summerslam or Wrestlemania but are more likely to respond with something like "Oh, was that the show in Chicago?" etc.

It didn't really matter who and where they were working for, the WWF as an entity wasn't the be all and end all when they were growing up, if they actually were wrestling fans at all.

Probably an unpopular opinion coming up, but It wasn't necessarily a bad thing when it was common for big jacked up ex-American footballers to try wrestling out of wanting the payday rather than being actual fans of it.

It gets a bit tiresome now that every single wrestler nowadays has seemingly been a fan since they were 6 and have spent 20 years "busting their ass" to get into the WWE and a fucking "Wrestlemania moment."

If anything, its the Brock Lesnars and Goldbergs that are refreshing in that aspect of not really giving a shit.

Edited by garynysmon

Its weird to me that Shibata is a dojo instructor. He's a bloke who ended his career needlessly in the biggest match of his career and could well have injured the man the entire company was built around. I know "Japan" but still. You'd think they'd be reluctant to have him train people. 

reading up on Dick Togo and I never knew this about Kaientai's name ot it's significance -

The group debuted in Japan's Michinoku Pro wrestling promotion in late 1994 when SATO, Terry Boy and Shiryu introduced themselves as Kai En Tai. The name "Kai En Tai" was based on Japan's first modern corporation, Kaientai ("Naval Auxiliary Force"), a naval institution and paramilitary organization dedicated to freeing Japan from feudal rule and protecting the country's national sovereignty that was a major player in the introduction of the Meiji Restoration.

Mad! from that to a weird racist/xenophobic full house parody of Hong Kong films

• Paid Members

Wow, I didn't know that. The involvement of Satsuma province, under Sakamoto Ryoma's leadership, with the Meiji Restoration is something I did study, but I didn't know about Kaientai. Thanks for that!

• Paid Members

I still periodically wonder why The Rock called CM Punk "Cookie Puss". If it was to do with the Ice Cream gig Punk was banging on about, it's a really muck, nonsensical insult. It's up there with Morrison's "Mr.Ziggles" thing.
I don't get it. At all. And it irked me again on the drive into work.

Edited by Scott Malbranque

36 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

"WHEN I SAY WRESTLE, YOU SAY MANIA!"

Outside that first promo, Rocks comeback was full of a lot of cringe shite.

Kung pow bitch springs to mind. His writers did an awful job of reading the room, especially going up against a pro like Cena

Always kinda assumed that The Rock was just taking the piss and seeing what he could get over at the stage. Plus it would have been a massive change of character for him to come back with sensible insults. 

• Paid Members

Rock never really did those back and forth promos that WWE loves nowadays and Cena led the way on that style. Rock just used to call people jabronis from the stage, make a few jokes then come down and fight them. He was never going to be any good at the weird fake shoot bollocks that they wanted to base the feud on and that Cena excels at. Rock was completely out of his element, plus he didn't have Gerwitz there to write his jokes for him.