Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
Just now, Angle_fan said:

Does anyone else read Rikishi when they see the chancellors name? 

To be fair, he couldn't have given the public more arse if he was called Rikishi Sunak

• Paid Members

watched Wrestlemania 7 the other night.

Obviously a lot has been said about the timeliness - or not - of the Sgt Slaughter gimmick, and how it outlasted the first Gulf War, making the story of the match fall a bit flat. But in terms of being topical to the point of making for uncomfortable viewing, I had no memory of how often Bobby Heenan mentions having friends in the Los Angeles police department on commentary, and him and Perfect mention it pretty explicitly in their promo before the Boss Man match. This was in LA, and less than three weeks after the Rodney King video!

I watched Ricochet's WWE 365 on the Network last night. 

I don't watch much WWE these days and haven't for a while, but I've followed Ricochet since Dragon Gate and WWE's documentaries are always pretty good no matter what, so I thought 'why not'? 

It's a decent enough documentary, but fuck me is everyone employed by WWE just happy to be there or what? Everything is so overwhelming for everyone, or so it seems from this and other recent documentaries. 

I get it, he came from a really small town, was a lifelong WWE fan and whatnot, but does he have to be so in awe of everything that he does? 

Oh look, I'm on Monday Night Raw! Wow, dreams come true! I need a moment to take it all in! I'm wrestling AJ Styles on pay-per-view, golly! 

I'm really happy for him and others who do something they probably never thought they'd get the chance to. But it's just so uncool and makes me think he'll never be a proper top star if he's carrying on like that. 

Imagine they did a similar documentary for Diesel's first year in WWE and he's gawking at the tron and telling everyone his booking may be shit but at least he's on the show right now. Ricochet is in his 30s and he's wrestled all over the world. He should have more of a chip on his shoulder. 

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, SaitoRyo said:

I watched Ricochet's WWE 365 on the Network last night. 

I don't watch much WWE these days and haven't for a while, but I've followed Ricochet since Dragon Gate and WWE's documentaries are always pretty good no matter what, so I thought 'why not'? 

It's a decent enough documentary, but fuck me is everyone employed by WWE just happy to be there or what? Everything is so overwhelming for everyone, or so it seems from this and other recent documentaries. 

I get it, he came from a really small town, was a lifelong WWE fan and whatnot, but does he have to be so in awe of everything that he does? 

Oh look, I'm on Monday Night Raw! Wow, dreams come true! I need a moment to take it all in! I'm wrestling AJ Styles on pay-per-view, golly! 

I'm really happy for him and others who do something they probably never thought they'd get the chance to. But it's just so uncool and makes me think he'll never be a proper top star if he's carrying on like that. 

Imagine they did a similar documentary for Diesel's first year in WWE and he's gawking at the tron and telling everyone his booking may be shit but at least he's on the show right now. Ricochet is in his 30s and he's wrestled all over the world. He should have more of a chip on his shoulder. 

Maybe he's just happy. Not everyone can be a top star, and not everyone wants to. Ambition is what drives some people, contentment drives others. Nothing wrong with that. 

He's not the only one like that. We're definitely in an era where so many have grown up with WWE and dreamt of working for the company their entire lives that their ambition is often just to be there. Anything else is a bonus.

Is that a bad thing? On some level perhaps it is. It does make them complacent and they might settle for something less than they deserve.

I guess you have to take it on a case by case basis as to how successful they really should be though. Ricochet is an insanely talented guy from a physical standpoint but he doesn't have the personality to push him any further.

15 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

He's not the only one like that. We're definitely in an era where so many have grown up with WWE and dreamt of working for the company their entire lives that their ambition is often just to be there. Anything else is a bonus.

Is that a bad thing? On some level perhaps it is. It does make them complacent and they might settle for something less than they deserve.

I guess you have to take it on a case by case basis as to how successful they really should be though. Ricochet is an insanely talented guy from a physical standpoint but he doesn't have the personality to push him any further.

This what I took away from watching it the other day.

He’s a good looking guy who can do fantastic things in the ring. Had he been around years ago he’d have been the underdog babyface who pulls out the win through a mixture of courage, speed and athleticism.

But doing flippy shit will only take you so far, brother, and Ricochet the person is fucking boring. He’s been there over 2 years now and I couldn’t tell you a single thing that’s he said in a promo. His entire promo highlights can be cut down to doing that flip to the outside where he got in Velveteen Dream’s face

• Paid Members

Reminds me of an interview I saw with The Shield once where when asked if they found their immediate success overwhelming Ambrose replied "no, because we deserve it and it's about damn time". You can definitely tell the difference between guys who are going to fight their way to the top and guys like Ricochet who just don't have that fight in them and will just be happy to be there and wank off to fans praising them on Twitter. 

Edited by LaGoosh

14 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

This what I took away from watching it the other day.

He’s a good looking guy who can do fantastic things in the ring. Had he been around years ago he’d have been the underdog babyface who pulls out the win through a mixture of courage, speed and athleticism.

But doing flippy shit will only take you so far, brother, and Ricochet the person is fucking boring. He’s been there over 2 years now and I couldn’t tell you a single thing that’s he said in a promo. His entire promo highlights can be cut down to doing that flip to the outside where he got in Velveteen Dream’s face

Yeah, I guess I didn't articulate what I meant properly because I was rambling a little. My apologies. 

But the above it exactly what I mean. In the documentary he says he wants to prove he can be a main eventer and I watched that and just thought 'really?'. 

Ricochet is exciting to watch and he can do some amazingly impressive things, but he is bloody boring. There was hardly any emotion from him in the whole documentary. 

1 hour ago, mim731 said:

Maybe he's just happy. Not everyone can be a top star, and not everyone wants to. Ambition is what drives some people, contentment drives others. Nothing wrong with that. 

I agree with you and I am happy that he is happy. I guess I went into the thing expecting to learn something about him and every scene seemed to be more 'aw shucks I'm in the WWE'.

Ricochet should be the new Rey Mysterio for them, its something they've looked for years, I know its the combo of Hispanic and his style.

But he should be a highlight on Raw/SD every week flying all over the place doing shit only he can, Rey is a shit talker but didn't hurt him too much.

You can tell on the doc his booking falls off a cliff late last year