Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

I do find B shows oddly endearing, especially once their initial push wears off or they get trumped for importance by the arrival of a new show. It's the compact length and handy recaps - both mentioned above - but also the complete absence of historical relevance that makes them uniquely fresh to do a rewatch of. Surely I've not seen every episode of Raw and Nitro on the Network, but it sure feels like it whenever I choose one at random. A Heat or Velocity upload, though? Daft commentary combinations, the best jobbers and hosses of the year and the occasional indie wank/before they were famous. 

The most exciting thing that could happen in wrestling for me now is a dump of post-95  Superstars, Saturday Nights and Worldwides getting dumped on the Network. I'm not even joking. 

• Paid Members
On 10/5/2020 at 7:50 PM, Magnum Milano said:

These are over five years old now, but a couple of guys from the Place to be Network did an All Japan Excite Series podcast.

They're no longer up on Soundcloud but the following link has working episodes:

https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/3030204

Cheers for these, I'm really enjoying them. I checked out some of the other podcasts the Welsh guy did and found Where The Big Boys Play podcast, which I've also really found fun. Imagine my surprise to come across an episode with @PowerButchi and @JNLister guesting! 

Edited by gmoney

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

(Don't know if the WWF's popularity fell off a cliff during the summer of 93 everywhere or just my school tbh).

I remember the King Of the Ring sticker album coming out that summer, and no one was buying the stickers at school. Then Hasbro's pretty much disappeared around the same time and no one was interested. And then Power Rangers came along near the autumn and it was done.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I remember the King Of the Ring sticker album coming out that summer, and no one was buying the stickers at school. Then Hasbro's pretty much disappeared around the same time and no one was interested. And then Power Rangers came along near the autumn and it was done.

I knew there was a reason why I always fucking hated Power Rangers.

Edited by garynysmon

• 2 weeks later...

I work in a factory with 150-ish blokes and even now - 18 years since the name change - I still have people here say to me once or twice a year: "You're into that WWF wrestling aren't you?". 

Today a guy I know who has a teenage son who loves WWE approached me.

We have spoken about wrestling a couple of times before and he has always took the piss, but today he came to my desk and excitedly told me that over the weekend they watched the most awesome match he had ever seen. Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack.

He raved about how brutal it was and "they were definitely real drawing pins" etc., going as far as to ask me if I could recommend some more matches like that on the WWE Network for him & his kid to watch. 

I suggested Cactus Jack vs Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000 and Mick Foley vs Edge at WrestleMania 22.

It's always a good feeling when somebody you know suddenly converts like that.

35 minutes ago, dopper said:

I work in a factory with 150-ish blokes and even now - 18 years since the name change - I still have people here say to me once or twice a year: "You're into that WWF wrestling aren't you?". 

Today a guy I know who has a teenage son who loves WWE approached me.

We have spoken about wrestling a couple of times before and he has always took the piss, but today he came to my desk and excitedly told me that over the weekend they watched the most awesome match he had ever seen. Randy Orton vs Cactus Jack.

He raved about how brutal it was and "they were definitely real drawing pins" etc., going as far as to ask me if I could recommend some more matches like that on the WWE Network for him & his kid to watch. 

I suggested Cactus Jack vs Triple H at Royal Rumble 2000 and Mick Foley vs Edge at WrestleMania 22.

It's always a good feeling when somebody you know suddenly converts like that.

That Cactus/Triple H match at the Rumble converted a lot of people in my year at school into wrestling fans. 

It's quite remarkable how many of us loved the "blood and guts" matches of the time 

Just been watching some stuff recently about how Michaels oversold for Hulk at Summerslam to make a mockery/fun of the situation. Watching as a fan at the time I thought it was brilliant. I didn’t think Michaels was sabotaging. I just thought it was a classic 80s match with my hero Hogan and his punches are so strong they make the opponent bump all over the place. I actually liked it. 

• Paid Members

I watched it back recently, and what really stood out for the first time was less the overselling and more how much of what Michaels is doing is purposefully designed to throw off Hogan's timing. 

He bumps on the first or second punch of a three punch rally, bumps out of the ring instead of to the corner, and so on, and there's clearly a spot where Hogan is meant to blade after hitting his head on the ringpost, but rather than give him time to do it, Michaels is immediately right on top of him. Hogan tries to do the spot again, same thing happens, and they end up back in the ring - Michaels does a "ten punch" spot that ends up with them collapsing onto the mat together, and the ref having to drag Michaels away in order to give Hogan the room to blade himself. In the process, it makes it look like it was Michaels' punches that bust him open, not the ringpost shots. 

• Paid Members

The early build for Warrior vs Rick Rude at Summerslam 90 is shite. There's loads of vignettes of Rude training hard and doing heavy weights, which is fine, but he's wearing disgusting grey sweats that cover up his amazing physique. I reckon they were going for some sort of realism, but I'd have had him glistening in baby oil lifting massive fake weights over this. I'm still watching, so maybe it gets better. 

22 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I watched it back recently, and what really stood out for the first time was less the overselling and more how much of what Michaels is doing is purposefully designed to throw off Hogan's timing. 

He bumps on the first or second punch of a three punch rally, bumps out of the ring instead of to the corner, and so on, and there's clearly a spot where Hogan is meant to blade after hitting his head on the ringpost, but rather than give him time to do it, Michaels is immediately right on top of him. Hogan tries to do the spot again, same thing happens, and they end up back in the ring - Michaels does a "ten punch" spot that ends up with them collapsing onto the mat together, and the ref having to drag Michaels away in order to give Hogan the room to blade himself. In the process, it makes it look like it was Michaels' punches that bust him open, not the ringpost shots. 

Cornette did a great watch along of that match the other week and made a lot of similar points, absolutely right with the amount of little things HBK did to mess Hogan around on top of the overselling