Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

1 hour ago, scratchdj said:

Nick Patrick had my favourite 3-count style of any ref. Bloody loved him I did.

He was awesome, and his style is sorely missing in today's wrestling. Plus the guy could either have a backbone or be a jellyfish at any point which added to the drama 

• Paid Members

I've been getting into a fair bit of 90s Japanese stuff after years of ignoring it. Now, there's quite a bit of stuff about NJPW out there, the Lion's Pride book etc, but I'm struggling to find much out there about AJPW. Are there any books or resources out there about All Japan, or even the Japanese industry that isn't so focused on New Japan?  

1 hour ago, gmoney said:

I've been getting into a fair bit of 90s Japanese stuff after years of ignoring it. Now, there's quite a bit of stuff about NJPW out there, the Lion's Pride book etc, but I'm struggling to find much out there about AJPW. Are there any books or resources out there about All Japan, or even the Japanese industry that isn't so focused on New Japan?  

I haven't listened to it myself yet but there's a recently started podcast series about 90's AJPW here. https://www.postwrestling.com/category/podcasts/postwrestling/the-long-winding-royal-road/

Just now, gmoney said:

These are over five years old now, but a couple of guys from the Place to be Network did an All Japan Excite Series podcast.

They're no longer up on Soundcloud but the following link has working episodes:

https://podcastaddict.com/podcast/3030204

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

Where is Elias? I totally forgot he was a thing until two minutes ago.

Was written off TV to have surgery on a torn pec at the end of May, by being involved in the car accident that Sheamus perpetrated to attempt to frame a "drunk" Jeff Hardy.

Expected back around the turn of the year, so wouldn't be shocked if he pops back up in the Rumble - at which point you'd hope they remember to feud him with Sheamus.

1 hour ago, Statto said:

Was written off TV to have surgery on a torn pec at the end of May, by being involved in the car accident that Sheamus perpetrated to attempt to frame a "drunk" Jeff Hardy.

Expected back around the turn of the year, so wouldn't be shocked if he pops back up in the Rumble - at which point you'd hope they remember to feud him with Sheamus.

Holy moly I missed all that completely. It's a shame we already know who hit him wit a car then! Unless Sheamus was persuaded by a higher power...

Watching Velocity on the Network. It's reminded me of how - as a young'un - I used to watch the B shows on Sky and think they were recorded on seperate nights, and they'd just have fans wear the same clothes they did for Raw/Smackdown and sit in the same seats.  

34 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Watching Velocity on the Network. It's reminded me of how - as a young'un - I used to watch the B shows on Sky and think they were recorded on seperate nights, and they'd just have fans wear the same clothes they did for Raw/Smackdown and sit in the same seats.  

Similar with me, although I never noticed the same fans, it always used to be the time difference stuff that rattled me more. Like how could we possibly get Sunday Night Heat on a Sunday afternoon when it was still morning in the States and stuff like that. 

I understood that we saw Raw and Smackdown a few days after it happened but could never get my head around why it would happen in reverse!

I remember thinking it was mad that 15,000 fans would go just to see 4 matches on an episode of Shotgun/Metal/Superstars etc when I was about 13.

Don't think it was until I started buying Powerslam magazine that I realised it was recorded right before Raw.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think I'd figured it out by the time Velocity started, but definitely used to think Heat and Metal were their own thing. Even then I'd watch them over Raw or SmackDown. I liked my one-hour wrestling show then, I still want that now.

I remember once Heat started on Channel 4 that I was quite content watching that alone most weeks as it contained fresh matches but also recaps of what had happened over the past week on the main shows. 

Its a shame that terrestrial coverage came so late on really. Can you imagine how much bigger the family friendly WWF would have been in 1991/2/3 had it a timeslot on ITV, a lead-in to Gladiators or something?

I know that Channel 5 has a weekend mornings show, but there's hardly any buzz around the product now is there? I'd have lapped up some Saturday morning wrestling as a kid, it was mid 1993 by the time we got Sky installed, the exact time when every other fucker at school was starting to switch off.

(Don't know if the WWF's popularity fell off a cliff during the summer of 93 everywhere or just my school tbh).

Edited by garynysmon

I think serious consideration was given to the notion that this wrestling lark wasn't on the up and up when two of the mid-Nineties weekend shows (Action Zone and Challenge?) always had the same matches but with different commentary teams, except for one common member pulling double duty yet appearing surprised by the results each time.