Sign in to follow this  
PowerButchi

Random Thoughts III.

23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

True, but when he come back (was it 94?) he looked like he was in his 50's. AJ styles could pass as being late 30's

AJ could also pass for being a middle aged woman.

2 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Buzz Sawyer ws the oldest looking ever. Here he is at 25.

The original grizzled young vet.

I've no idea if there's a forgotten matches or anything thread, I've tried to search but no joy.

Anyway, I've been watching Austin's return in 2000 after his neck injury, and Jesus Christ Son, he's having TV classics every week. After the initial wet fart of the Rikishi reveal, then the match with HHH, Steve wrestles Benoit, Angle and Regal on consecutive Raws and all are ten minute beauties. It's like Austin thought fuck it, I'm going up against these super workers, I'll show them a thing or two.

Three great matches, three consecutive weeks.

Earthquake in his 2001 tryout match I think.  Still looks pretty good.

Tenta getting a tryout seems so out of place for that era, but then you realise he was actually in the 1999 Royal Rumble. Why was there only ever Kurgan merch out? No other Oddities on the PSOne game either.

8 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Why was there only ever Kurgan merch out? No other Oddities on the PSOne game either.

Not sure how they got around it on TV, but Golga’s thing was that he had that Eric Cartman doll and wore South Park T-shirts. Acclaim had the licenses for both WWF and South Park video games at the time, so could’ve appeared in WWF Attitude if they wanted. As for the other Oddities, can’t temember if there were women in the game so that could rule Luna out, and who the fuck would choose to play as Giant Silva

Edited by WyattSheepMask

5 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Acclaim had the licenses for both WWF and South Park video games at the time, so could’ve appeared in WWF Attitude if they wanted.

Not quite how it works, the had licenses to make South Park games and WWF games, use of South Park branding in a WWF game would have required a separate agreement which they may not have seen the value in obtaining. WWE licensing agreements weren't as robust back then in terms of cross-media use; part of the reason why some licensed entrance themes weren't used in the games (RVD's being one I recall) and some home video/DVD releases having dubbed themes because the license had since expired or didn't extend past live TV/event usage.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking they might still have to get some sort of legal clearance, but Acclaim having the license for both could’ve streamlined the process

At the time, there still weren’t that many wrestlers in a game. Attitude was the largest roster a WWE game had ever had, but it was still missing loads of the lower to mid card. It wasn’t until the THQ games that they started trying to include the whole roster. 

Everybody who saw it remembers Ultimate Warrior no-selling Triple H's pedigree at WrestleMania XII, but I think Warrior deserves credit for how he took the move.

So many times over the years we have seen people pull their hands away in order for them to hit the mat first or land on their knees instead of landing flat - but Warrior took it perfectly.

Edited by dopper

That's actually a conscious move by either Triple H or WWE - if you watch the first few years of him hitting the Pedigree, they were all like that. But at some point, the execution was changed so that, rather than keeping the arms hooked, Triple H would let go, allowing the person taking the move a little more control over how they take the bump.

4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That's actually a conscious move by either Triple H or WWE - if you watch the first few years of him hitting the Pedigree, they were all like that. But at some point, the execution was changed so that, rather than keeping the arms hooked, Triple H would let go, allowing the person taking the move a little more control over how they take the bump.

Wasn't the change made to let go of the arms done after this infamous Pedigree move?

ReasonableWellgroomedIslandwhistler-size

2 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

Wasn't the change made to let go of the arms done after this infamous Pedigree move?

ReasonableWellgroomedIslandwhistler-size

I think that was one of the first wrestling gifs I ever saw! Memories.

(Side-note: I have nostalgia for gifs now and I feel so very old.)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator