Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

At the time, there still weren’t that many wrestlers in a game. Attitude was the largest roster a WWE game had ever had, but it was still missing loads of the lower to mid card. It wasn’t until the THQ games that they started trying to include the whole roster. 

Everybody who saw it remembers Ultimate Warrior no-selling Triple H's pedigree at WrestleMania XII, but I think Warrior deserves credit for how he took the move.

So many times over the years we have seen people pull their hands away in order for them to hit the mat first or land on their knees instead of landing flat - but Warrior took it perfectly.

Edited by dopper

• Paid Members

That's actually a conscious move by either Triple H or WWE - if you watch the first few years of him hitting the Pedigree, they were all like that. But at some point, the execution was changed so that, rather than keeping the arms hooked, Triple H would let go, allowing the person taking the move a little more control over how they take the bump.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That's actually a conscious move by either Triple H or WWE - if you watch the first few years of him hitting the Pedigree, they were all like that. But at some point, the execution was changed so that, rather than keeping the arms hooked, Triple H would let go, allowing the person taking the move a little more control over how they take the bump.

Wasn't the change made to let go of the arms done after this infamous Pedigree move?

ReasonableWellgroomedIslandwhistler-size

• Awards Moderator
2 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

Wasn't the change made to let go of the arms done after this infamous Pedigree move?

I think that was one of the first wrestling gifs I ever saw! Memories.

(Side-note: I have nostalgia for gifs now and I feel so very old.)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, PJ Power said:

That would make a lot of sense - though I'm sure I remember Triple H doing the "Original Pedigree" far later than this GIF. Can't have helped, though.

• Paid Members

WWE have a video on YouTube "First time Superstars hit their iconic finishers" and the pedigree vid is that one above. So that one came well before the Warrior one and isn't the reason for any change.

• Paid Members

From my understanding, the jobber in that Pedigree GIF thought it was going to be a piledriver, hence him lifting his legs, jumping with the move and pointing his head down. Imagine the WWF landscape if Hunter Hearst Helmsley decided to use the Tiger Driver '98 as his finisher.

Edited by Accident Prone

31 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

WWE have a video on YouTube "First time Superstars hit their iconic finishers" and the pedigree vid is that one above. So that one came well before the Warrior one and isn't the reason for any change.

That massive pedigree is from an episode of Superstars (#504) from 28th May 1996 against Marty Garner. I remember it vividly because it’s the same place they had to do the do-over of In Your House: Beware of Dog because of a power outage and I always remember the entrance being in full view of the hardcam.

That WWE video also seems to have forgotten every time that HHH did the pedigree from the year previous

Edited by WyattSheepMask

IIRC Stone Cold was the first guy to have his arms released in the Pedigree. I remember as a teenager complaining becauseit didn't look as good.

Looking back I assume it was cos of Austin's neck injuries?

Edited by Twatters

• Paid Members

I dont know if it was, because Stone Cold only took a few if I recall. Triple H started using a Rude Awakening on Austin as his finish around late 2000. The Rock is the one I remember having the arms released, because the Rock used to love doing the over the top sell when he hit the mat.

Kane used to take the worst Pedigrees.

• Paid Members

When I was at my most wrestling obsessed aged 9-10-11 and was begging borrowing and stealing any tapes or other merch I could get my hands on, I remember spotting a Wrestlemania 1 tape in a charity shop and thinking I'd got my hands on the holy grail. Watching it later it felt like it came from a different world, given the dark ring, poor lighting and the lack of ring music, it was almost unrecognisable from the product I was used to watching every week.

What's mad is that it must only have been 10 years or so old by then (1994), which is almost the length of time between that famous (and short lived) January 4 2010 "Monday Night War" and now, which honestly feels like yesterday.

Why does it seem like everything seemed to change so much in days of yore, yet everything seems to stand still these days? Since the end of the Attitude Era it almost seems like every WWE PPV just merges into the next, whereas before then I can still pretty much recite the results of most major events to a tee.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

They showed a clip from the 2009 Kofi Kingston - Randy Orton feud on TV this week and it just made me think - it was pretty much a decade ago and the set would have been basically the same, Orton still has pretty much exactly the same look/gear/music/gimmick...