Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

That was great. Seen that original, horrible  Piper angle before and heard Stevie Rays story, but never seen the footage of the follow up with them in the kilts and Arns promo. The body language on Tenta there, you can tell he’s fucking pissed! Supposedly one of the nicest guys there was, reckon he’d do some real fucking damage if you managed to fuck him off though.

• Paid Members

Has anything ever come out about Tenta and AA having any heat or anything? Just seems really off that he glares at Big 'Quake when delivering the "Amateurs" line, when there were to actual amateurs stood next to him...

40 minutes ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Can you recommend a couple of good matches? I love Sarge.

None that u don't already probably know about unfortunately. I watched a show recently where he has a shit match with Kamala, circa 85 I think. The match was poor, but I kept thinking how well Slaughter was selling and playing the crowd. 

I decided to watch his established classics. The street fight vs Pat Patterson, the bootcamp match vs Sheik and the tag cage match with Don Kernodle vs Steamboat and Jay Youngblood. If you haven't seen these, all are worth watching. 

I also really like his matches with Warrior and Hogan from Rumble and Mania 1991. Very underrated imo. 

• Paid Members

There's some "Desert Storm" matches from Madison Square Garden shows in the run-up to that Wrestlemania as well, which are basically street fights with them gimmicked up in military garb. A little more hard-hitting than usual WWF fare at the time, and Slaughter is great fun in them.

• Moderators
6 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Can you recommend a couple of good matches? I love Sarge.

Anthing from 84 vs Iron Shiek is a must watch and as a heel the Alley Fight vs Pat Patterson is amazing 

• Paid Members

Cheers for the recommendations, ended up watching a bunch of Sarge v Iron Sheik from 1984, I couldn't believe how over he was, the atmosphere was amazing for those matches and people loved him. I remember the Pat Patterson match, it was great, will check out the others too.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Bellenda Carlisle said:

Cheers for the recommendations, ended up watching a bunch of Sarge v Iron Sheik from 1984, I couldn't believe how over he was, the atmosphere was amazing for those matches and people loved him. I remember the Pat Patterson match, it was great, will check out the others too.

I remember someone saying that the biggest thing about wrestling culturally that non-US audiences would never be able to grasp is just how big a star Sgt Slaughter was for a few years. 

On 7/24/2019 at 7:59 PM, Loki said:

Earthquake in his 2001 tryout match I think.  Still looks pretty good.

A little bit of me died when I saw Joey fucking Abs suplex The Earthquake as if he was a cruiserweight. No struggle, no build, no fanfare, nothing. He's just accomplished something that Hogan couldn't even try without buggering up his ribs and back.

No wonder the business is shot to pieces.