PowerButchi

Random Thoughts III.

3 hours ago, mim731 said:

Agreed, he looked ok in the match following that promo, but jesus that was a bad video.Ā 

Josh Briggs is surely a future NXT signee, seems green but he's big and has a very WWE look.Ā 

Give him the gimmick of being related to Johnny Briggs and boom Wrestlings best intro music
Ā 

Ā 

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

Iā€™ve been watching Raw from the 90s, and Iā€™ve just watched a celebrity appearance I didnā€™t know about, which is odd given the magnitude of the star.Ā 

On one hand Ben Stillerā€™s 1999 Raw appearance should be something they bring up every now and again. On the other hand, theyā€™d have to cut most of whatĀ he says because he spends almost all of his time talking about Debraā€™s boobs. Iā€™m amazed that he agreed to do that even in 1999. Itā€™s unbelievably creepy.Ā 

42 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Iā€™m amazed that he agreed to do that even in 1999. Itā€™s unbelievably creepy.Ā 

Really? 1999 was the height of the "teen movie". Gratuitous tits and sex everywhere. I think you're being a bit hindsighty.

16 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Really? 1999 was the height of the "teen movie". Gratuitous tits and sex everywhere. I think you're being a bit hindsighty.

Oh probably. I was 11 years old then so I donā€™t remember that time period all that well...I may be looking back with rose-tinted glasses from a progressiveness standpoint.

Having said that, I donā€™t really remember Ben Stiller being cast in that kind of role (nb. He may well have been at some point) -Ā IĀ associate him with playing theĀ loveable loser rather than theĀ horned up creep.Ā 

I dunno, I found it odd to watch.

Stiller's often shown a willingness to send himself up, even when he's playing himself. InĀ Extras, he portrayed himself as a hopelessly-insecureĀ egomaniac. He probably saw playing the horned-up creep as just another self-mocking performance in whichĀ the audience were in on the joke again.

Shamelessly stolen from Reddit but...

q9uq7ig92ya31.jpg?width=768&auto=webp&s=

Ā 

Eight years ago today.Ā Wrestling's great for those "where's my life gone" moments, and this one caught me!

Am I making this up or was this a non PPV event in the UK? I seem to remember watching the whole event the following day but doubt Iā€™d have paid for an event that was not Wrestlemania.Ā 

10 minutes ago, MrK said:

Am I making this up or was this a non PPV event in the UK? I seem to remember watching the whole event the following day but doubt Iā€™d have paid for an event that was not Wrestlemania.Ā 

Yeah this was back when there were half or so of the yearly pay per views on normal sky sports rather than box office. Iā€™m fairly certain this one was on sky sports.Ā I think gradually in the time up to when the network arrived in the uk a few more events each year moved to box office.

This is surely not an original thought but..

It occurred to me that the signing of Heyman and Bischoff to Smackdown/Raw might have more to do with AEW than WWE. Ā With the upcoming AEW TV deal and debuting show, I can imagine the WWE wanting to lock up two very experienced producers of wrestling tv so that they can't potentially go and work for the competition. Ā They do this with wrestlers, so why not production talent?

40 minutes ago, Loki said:

This is surely not an original thought but..

It occurred to me that the signing of Heyman and Bischoff to Smackdown/Raw might have more to do with AEW than WWE. Ā With the upcoming AEW TV deal and debuting show, I can imagine the WWE wanting to lock up two very experienced producers of wrestling tv so that they can't potentially go and work for the competition. Ā They do this with wrestlers, so why not production talent?

I think there's a huge element of this. They kept Heyman under contract for a long time without using him last time around, and it was pretty widely assumed to be because they'd rather pay him to do nothing than risk him working elsewhere.

At the same time, WWE's getting bigger and bigger in terms of content produced, and they've brought in a lot of new producers in the last 12-18 months while getting rid of old hands like Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko, so they might be just figuring out what the long-term production/agenting crew looks like moving forward.

With all this Orton and Ospreay back and forth on Twitter recently, I've been thinking how brilliant an Orton indy run would be. He's bored me to tears for the last ten years nearly now in WWE, and these days he looks like he can't be arsed anymore too. I think an indy run where he can do what he wants and really be free from the WWE creative and style restraints as well as the grueling touring schedule would do him the world of good.Ā 

It's not like WWE wouldn't have him back either. They definitely would when Mania season rolls round and they need a legend for Rollins/Reigns/McIntyre/whoever to face once Taker/HHH/Cena etc. are all properly retired and there's no one left.

Randy Orton on an indy run, putting a chinlock on for five minutes, teasing doing the RKO, but instead going back to the hold, winning by a sleeper, would be gold. Basically, redo Foley's anti-hardcore spell in ECW. The ultimate troll. I reckon Randy would love it. The easiest money he'd ever make, the easiest heat he'd ever get.Ā 

28 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Randy Orton on an indy run, putting a chinlock on for five minutes, teasing doing the RKO, but instead going back to the hold, winning by a sleeper, would be gold. Basically, redo Foley's anti-hardcore spell in ECW. The ultimate troll. I reckon Randy would love it. The easiest money he'd ever make, the easiest heat he'd ever get.Ā 

Why not have him do exactly that in NXT in that case?

The reason for being there is thatĀ heā€™s the ā€˜future legend killerā€™ or some shite.