Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

This is surely not an original thought but..

It occurred to me that the signing of Heyman and Bischoff to Smackdown/Raw might have more to do with AEW than WWE.  With the upcoming AEW TV deal and debuting show, I can imagine the WWE wanting to lock up two very experienced producers of wrestling tv so that they can't potentially go and work for the competition.  They do this with wrestlers, so why not production talent?

• Paid Members
40 minutes ago, Loki said:

This is surely not an original thought but..

It occurred to me that the signing of Heyman and Bischoff to Smackdown/Raw might have more to do with AEW than WWE.  With the upcoming AEW TV deal and debuting show, I can imagine the WWE wanting to lock up two very experienced producers of wrestling tv so that they can't potentially go and work for the competition.  They do this with wrestlers, so why not production talent?

I think there's a huge element of this. They kept Heyman under contract for a long time without using him last time around, and it was pretty widely assumed to be because they'd rather pay him to do nothing than risk him working elsewhere.

At the same time, WWE's getting bigger and bigger in terms of content produced, and they've brought in a lot of new producers in the last 12-18 months while getting rid of old hands like Arn Anderson and Dean Malenko, so they might be just figuring out what the long-term production/agenting crew looks like moving forward.

With all this Orton and Ospreay back and forth on Twitter recently, I've been thinking how brilliant an Orton indy run would be. He's bored me to tears for the last ten years nearly now in WWE, and these days he looks like he can't be arsed anymore too. I think an indy run where he can do what he wants and really be free from the WWE creative and style restraints as well as the grueling touring schedule would do him the world of good. 

It's not like WWE wouldn't have him back either. They definitely would when Mania season rolls round and they need a legend for Rollins/Reigns/McIntyre/whoever to face once Taker/HHH/Cena etc. are all properly retired and there's no one left.

• Paid Members

Randy Orton on an indy run, putting a chinlock on for five minutes, teasing doing the RKO, but instead going back to the hold, winning by a sleeper, would be gold. Basically, redo Foley's anti-hardcore spell in ECW. The ultimate troll. I reckon Randy would love it. The easiest money he'd ever make, the easiest heat he'd ever get. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, WeeAl said:

Randy Orton on an indy run, putting a chinlock on for five minutes, teasing doing the RKO, but instead going back to the hold, winning by a sleeper, would be gold. Basically, redo Foley's anti-hardcore spell in ECW. The ultimate troll. I reckon Randy would love it. The easiest money he'd ever make, the easiest heat he'd ever get. 

Why not have him do exactly that in NXT in that case?

The reason for being there is that he’s the ‘future legend killer’ or some shite.

Randy Orton doesn’t strike me as the type to bother with the small leagues. He’s been on millions a year for about fifteen years, he’s never seemed particularly passionate about wrestling, and he only seems to work when he wants to these days anyway.

• Moderators

One of Earthquake's children posted a picture on Reddit, and this great story about him was the top reply.

Secondly, I wanted to share a quick story of your dad that really made me and my brothers summer back in the early 90's. The WWF was running a house show at a maybe 5,000 seat civic center in a smallish town in Florida and my dad worked for a construction company that was doing the renovations on it that were ongoing on the day of the show. He was in no way a wrestling fan but knew how much my 7 year old brother and I loved it.

Because he had an all access badge for the arena due to the construction work, my dad took us a few hours early to the show to walk around. He had access to a special lot behind the building where we parked. It was facing this pretty big pond that was known for good fishing. As luck would have it, my brother and I's absolute favorites were The Hart Foundation and they were out fishing by the pond killing time in the hours before the show started along with one of the Beverly Brothers. My dad, who wasn't starstruck at all because he had no idea who any of the guys were, got into a fishing conversation with the Harts and eventually they were talking to me and my brother. We told them how excited we were to see them on the card tonight and they asked us who our least favorite wrestler was. We both immediately said The Earthquake because of what he did to Hulk Hogan and Damian the snake.

Lo and behold like 20 minutes later, Earthquake comes walking out in street clothes towards the Harts to hang out. Will never forget this, Jim Neidhart cuts him off, starts whispering in his ear and comes back. Like two minutes later Earthquake storms up, cuts a promo on my brother and I and starts doing the earthquake stomp in a circle around us. We were horrified momentarily until Bret Hart and Jim Neidhardt stormed over, put on a show to protect us and Earthquake begged off and went back into the building.

It was the most completely unnecessary gesture given everyone involved had likely been on the road for weeks, driven hundreds of miles that day from the closest major city to get to us, and just probably wanted to relax without a dad and his two kids impeding on their personal time. We have told that story for years and it made my dad a fan for the next 15 years.

Probably no more than a few minutes of your dad's life but he created a moment for my family that we still talk about to this day when he absolutely could have just blown us off. So sorry your loss and thank you to your family for the memory.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Remember when Earthquake had a tryout for WWF in 2001, and all the reporters were like "that old cunt has no chance of getting work." He was the same age as Fin Balor now.

I love to think that, in a world where the Invasion didn't happen, Earthquake would have been knocking about instead.

As for ages, aside from Earthquake always having looked like his own dad, I did a comparison on the Gimmick Battle Royal entrants recently. Everyone in the Gimmick Battle Royal was someone that seemed like a relic of a past age, so far past relevance that you could never have taken any of them seriously as a member of the roster again. Yet...

• The Undertaker is now older than Sgt. Slaughter was in the Gimmick Battle Royal. Shane McMahon is the same age Slaughter was when he became WWF Commissioner.
  • Bushwhacker Butch and Nikolai Volkoff, at the time of Wrestlemania 17, were the same age The Undertaker is now.
  • Typhoon and The Goon were younger then than Triple H is now. Hillbilly Jim was the same age Triple H is now.
  • Earthquake was younger than John Cena and, as mentioned, the same age as Balor.
  • Michael Hayes was the same age as John Cena and AJ Styles.
  • One Man Gang was the same age as Brock Lesnar
  • Kamala was younger than The Undertaker
  • Repo Man was younger than Matt Hardy
  • Duke Droese, in the Gimmick Battle Royal, was younger than Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins, Finn Balor and Baron Corbin. Fucker was my age.