PowerButchi

Random Thoughts III.

I never really got why people said he did a shitty SSP. It looked great to me, at least in the very beginning of his time in the WWF, and in his Titantron. There have been better ones, but his didn't look bad at all. Ugliest one I ever saw was Shane's.

Lesnar's ones from OVW looked incredible, but so different in style they felt like a completely different move, like it should've been called a "Meteor Bomb" or something. 

He was practicing shooting stars in a pool, flopped his legs out and Kanyon told him it looked cool that way. That's how he explains his execution.

I loooved Kidman in the flock. The scratchy heroin withdrawal gimmick was as Grunge as it got back then.  Him being the unlockable character for one of the title chases in WCW/NWO Revenge fried my brain. I saw the silhoutte scratching itsself and immediatly knew this was the best game ever.

Not a big fan of his WWF stuff, although his match with Tajiri at a Backlash(I think) was excellent.

The thing that struck me with Kidman's SSP was the complete lack of height or distance. Lesnar, or Paul London, or Liger, would jump and seemingly start to rotate in mid-air. Kidman just seemed to flop from the top rope with style, and land inches from where he started. Nothing takes me out of a "high-flyer's" match more than seeing him meticulously drag his opponent close enough that he can hit his move.

There's two reasons why no one really does a SSP the Kidman way these days, and that's because it looks shit whilst also having a tiny margin of error.

Edited by Accident Prone

Ok inevitable discussion then . . .

Who’s got the best SSP?

Ricochet’s is a thing of bloody beauty, ditto Osprey. Just feels weird to say they’re the best given it’s not their finish. London Calling or Evan Bourne’s were great too.

My favourite thing about the London and Kidman tag team was London having to use a 450 instead of a shooting star to be different from Kidman. Even though London’s was wayyyy better. 

I thought London's was great, I certainly agree that it was ridiculous he had to use a 450 instead because of Kidman. Haven't seen Ricochet's or Ospreay's. Was never a fan of Bourne's - that grabbing the legs thing (Squirrel Splash style?) didn't work for me.

EDIT: Also, aside from the impact point, at which he's almost always injured himself, Jody Fleisch's SSP to the outside was gorgeous.

Edited by Carbomb

That's an eFed. The account is tweeting out the results of an imaginary Ospreay vs Jimmy Havoc match, using GIFs to emphasis the action.

Edited by Accident Prone

That's a beauty from Ospreay, have to say.

Surprised to see PAC deigning to perform a lowly SSP, given the ridiculous air-magic he's able to do. 

2 hours ago, Carbomb said:

That's a beauty from Ospreay, have to say.

Surprised to see PAC deigning to perform a lowly SSP, given the ridiculous air-magic he's able to do. 

He more often does the standing version. I swear I've seen him do several regular SSPs on live shows but YouTube mainly has him doing the Red Arrow. 

2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

My answer, as it usually is with high-flying moves, is PAC/Neville. Otherworldly agility.

Fun fact - PAC was sick as a dog during this match with the flu or food poisoning or something. 

He also gets my vote for best SSP. It's pretty and it looks like it could actually do some damage, too. Never really liked Bourne's version, Kidman was too inconsistent (although when he nailed it it looked fucking great), London had a good one and Lesnar's was spectacular when it went right. 

Is Neville the worst name they've ever given someone? It's going to follow him round for the rest of his career.

4 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Is Neville the worst name they've ever given someone? It's going to follow him round for the rest of his career.

I mean Mr Ass is up there, but hes always got by with Billy Gunn (isn't his real name like Monty Sopp or am i confusing him?). Marquis Cor Von was pretty shit as was Kelly Kelly. Super Porky, Rosey and obviously Eugene

14 minutes ago, Pinc said:

It’s not like PAC is a positive move.