Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

How did Billy Kidman ever get a job at both WCW and WWE? Guy was the absolute shits. His whole act was based around a move he could barely do 

Best mates with Kanyon, who was best mates with DDP who was best mates with etc. etc.

People loved Kidman at the time, weirdly. Even though he sounded like he should be a mate of the Karate Kid, but not the Karate Kid in a shitty remake. I dont think people take into what it meant seeing someone do a shitty shooting star press. A shit one was better than seeing no shooting star press.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

I never really got why people said he did a shitty SSP. It looked great to me, at least in the very beginning of his time in the WWF, and in his Titantron. There have been better ones, but his didn't look bad at all. Ugliest one I ever saw was Shane's.

Lesnar's ones from OVW looked incredible, but so different in style they felt like a completely different move, like it should've been called a "Meteor Bomb" or something. 

He was practicing shooting stars in a pool, flopped his legs out and Kanyon told him it looked cool that way. That's how he explains his execution.

I loooved Kidman in the flock. The scratchy heroin withdrawal gimmick was as Grunge as it got back then.  Him being the unlockable character for one of the title chases in WCW/NWO Revenge fried my brain. I saw the silhoutte scratching itsself and immediatly knew this was the best game ever.

Not a big fan of his WWF stuff, although his match with Tajiri at a Backlash(I think) was excellent.

• Paid Members

The thing that struck me with Kidman's SSP was the complete lack of height or distance. Lesnar, or Paul London, or Liger, would jump and seemingly start to rotate in mid-air. Kidman just seemed to flop from the top rope with style, and land inches from where he started. Nothing takes me out of a "high-flyer's" match more than seeing him meticulously drag his opponent close enough that he can hit his move.

Ok inevitable discussion then . . .

Who’s got the best SSP?

Ricochet’s is a thing of bloody beauty, ditto Osprey. Just feels weird to say they’re the best given it’s not their finish. London Calling or Evan Bourne’s were great too.

My favourite thing about the London and Kidman tag team was London having to use a 450 instead of a shooting star to be different from Kidman. Even though London’s was wayyyy better. 

• Paid Members

I thought London's was great, I certainly agree that it was ridiculous he had to use a 450 instead because of Kidman. Haven't seen Ricochet's or Ospreay's. Was never a fan of Bourne's - that grabbing the legs thing (Squirrel Splash style?) didn't work for me.

EDIT: Also, aside from the impact point, at which he's almost always injured himself, Jody Fleisch's SSP to the outside was gorgeous.

Edited by Carbomb

• Paid Members

That's a beauty from Ospreay, have to say.

Surprised to see PAC deigning to perform a lowly SSP, given the ridiculous air-magic he's able to do.