Random Thoughts III.

PowerButchi

5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Sid started in 89 didn’t he? 

He's only had 5 matches this decade and not wrestled at all in the last 2 years.  The chances of him wrestling next decade are slim, although, it's possible for sure.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

I saw a clip of Scott Steiner wrestling Joey Ryan from some indy the other day, and it got me thinking.  Scott wrestled in the 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s and looks like he'll wrestle in the 20s as well as he's looking alright out there still considering he's nearly 60.

How many other wrestlers are there who wrestled in the 80s who are still going?  The Undertaker I guess wrestled in the 80s but that's probably it from active WWE wrestlers.  Are there many others approaching their 5th decade in wrestling?

There's plenty. And some who have been going even longer.

Jimmy Valiant and Bill Dundee have both wrestled this year, and they both debuted in the early '60s. A few luchadores who debuted in the '70s are still knocking about. Dory Funk Jr and Mil Mascaras 

In terms of WWF names from the '80s that are still going; Jim Duggan's still going, Marty Jannetty was wrestling last year and may well have wrestled this year, Haku worked the ROH/NJPW MSG show's Rumble, Powers of Pain are still knocking about. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

What’s Terry Funk up to these days? Because I fail to believe he’s actually retired.

Hasn't wrestled in a couple of years. Last match that I know of was him and The Rock N Roll Express against Jerry Lawler, Brian Christopher and Doug Gilbert, which was good fun.

He seems to have enough genuine health concerns to keep him out of the ring for now, so I'd lean towards him being actually done this time, though obviously wouldn't be the least bit surprised to be proved wrong.

There was a show maybe two years ago that Terry was booked for, and had to pull out due to pneumonia, so they sent Dory Funk Jr., his older brother, in his place. Everyone talks about how long Terry's been going, but hardly anyone mentions that Dory started earlier, and is still going now!

• Paid Members

Has Keiji Mutoh retired? I never read anything about that, but it may have just been one of those quiet, fade-into-office-background ones.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

In terms of WWF names from the '80s that are still going; Jim Duggan's still going, Marty Jannetty was wrestling last year and may well have wrestled this year, Haku worked the ROH/NJPW MSG show's Rumble, Powers of Pain are still knocking about. 

Greg Valentine too, and Tito Santana.

Edited by garynysmon

6 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Has Keiji Mutoh retired? I never read anything about that, but it may have just been one of those quiet, fade-into-office-background ones.

He’s still going.

Wrestled a tag match for Impact a couple of months ago, he does the odd match here and there.

Was in the Honor Rumble on the NJPW/ROH Show at MSG too 

• Paid Members

He did a bit of a retirement tour, called the "Last Moonsault" tour, because he was getting major surgeries to repair his utterly ruined knees, and figured there was a high chance he might not wrestle again. He ended up taking about a year out after that, but he's obviously in better nick than expected, as he was working as recently as last month.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Presumably, the all-time longevity award (so far, and counting some dross as matches) went to Mae Young? Or am I missing someone obvious?

It's arguable. Mae tends to be credited with having worked in nine consecutive decades (1939 - 2014), but there's only anecdotal evidence she was working in the '70s, and most likely wasn't working in the '80s. 

So in terms of start date to end date, I'd be amazed if anyone has her beat, but there's an asterisk next to that.

Lou Thesz, Johnny Saint, and Adrian Street are all on seven consecutive decades, and there's a few on six. I can see Street getting himself in a match next year to push himself up to eight, as it's something he's talked about a lot over the years, but I can't see anyone topping nine decades.

Edited by BomberPat