The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
On 3/13/2019 at 8:49 AM, The King of Old School said:

Cena/Angle & Joe/Mysterio makes much more sense for this year.

Joe v Rey would be brilliant, but harsh on Andrade.

• Paid Members

Starting to wonder if it'll be The Undertaker who faces Kurt Angle at Wrestlemania . Whilst I'm not entirely sure how much Kurt can really go anymore, you've got to assume it'll be a better retirement match for Taker than the Crown Jewel shitshow. 

• Awards Moderator

Raw champ Brock Lesnar hasn't wrestled on Raw since 22nd July. 

22nd July 2002 that is. I read it on an article and I couldn't quite believe it so I checked Cagematch. Crazy even for a part-timer! 

I'm all for not having a title defence on every week, but this is insane. It's also killing Seth's chase, who has ambled around like a spare part because his next proper opponent, nailed down in January, is AWOL. Just because Vince gets hard being treated like a bitch. I know this isn't really the metric these days, but Brock can't be a draw any more can he? It's all a bit rinse and repeat, and it's not like there's a legion of fans waiting for the 18th German of the match. Is there? 

Apart from him. 

• Paid Members

Raw has been shit for years now because with no Champion there every week there's not much to anchor the shows around. I'm no fan of Rollins but I hope he wins and has a lengthy reign just so Raw has some focus again.

Be wary of blaming Raw’s woes on the lack of a full-time champion. We were moaning about Raw every week for over a decade before Brock had the belt and we’ll be moaning about it for years after he loses the belt. After Mania, when Rollins is there every week with it, it’s not going to suddenly become the land of milk and honey.

Raw’s problems can’t be blamed on, or fixed by, a simple stroke of a wand. PG, SuperCena, not pushing someone new, pushing someone new and it’s Roman Reigns, authority figures, three hours, Brock having the belt. They’ve all been the scapegoat at some point or other, but when they are eliminated, we don’t start enjoying the show, we just find a new scapegoat.

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 1:43 PM, Bohan said:

Who would have thought that Braun Strowman's Wrestlemania involvment would end up being a comedy rivalry with two lads from SNL!?  Poor bloke!

Since Strowman got his megapush, his Manias have been:

*Losing in the Andre Battle Royal in the pre-show

*Teaming with a child to win the tag titles

*Farting about with SNL guys.

Brilliant.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Brilliant.

I can't see him having a run with the world title on either brand now. It's a bit like Bray Wyatt in that they missed the time to pull the trigger and when they did it was too late. I just don't think he can be taken seriously anymore

1 hour ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Brilliant.

Is it still correct that only Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar have pinned Strowman in singles matches since he got his "megapush" ?

38 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

Is it still correct that only Roman Reigns and Brock Lesnar have pinned Strowman in singles matches since he got his "megapush" ?

Corbin pinned him at Elimination Chamber (but in a no DQ match after a 3-on-1 beatdown).

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Be wary of blaming Raw’s woes on the lack of a full-time champion. We were moaning about Raw every week for over a decade before Brock had the belt and we’ll be moaning about it for years after he loses the belt. After Mania, when Rollins is there every week with it, it’s not going to suddenly become the land of milk and honey.

Raw’s problems can’t be blamed on, or fixed by, a simple stroke of a wand. PG, SuperCena, not pushing someone new, pushing someone new and it’s Roman Reigns, authority figures, three hours, Brock having the belt. They’ve all been the scapegoat at some point or other, but when they are eliminated, we don’t start enjoying the show, we just find a new scapegoat.

I absolutely agree but I think having a full time Champion will potentially give the shows some structure and focus which might improve them a bit. If the past few years have shown anything it's that it makes the months when everyone knows Brock won't be around feel completely meaningless. Then to fill up the gap they just put Stephanie on TV loads...and no one wants that.

• Paid Members

Being bored enough to check Cagematch, it looks like the only clean singles losses Strowman has ever taken, excluding house shows and dark matches, are;

- Brock Lesnar at Crown Jewel
- Brock Lesnar at No Mercy 2017
- Kalisto, in a Dumpster Match on RAW in April 2017
- Sami Zayn, at Roadblock 2016 (negligible if this counts as a "win", as the stipulation was that Sami only had to last 10 minutes without being pinned, so wasn't really a defeat of Strowman)

So if you take out the Sami Zayn match, take out Kalisto as it being a gimmick match rather than Strowman being visually pinned or made to submit, and that's two clean losses ever in singles matches, both to two of the biggest, most protected stars on the roster. Even accounting for the odd loss in a tag team or multi-man match, that's extraordinary.

And isn't that the worst casualty of this "wins and losses don't matter" mentality that, in spite of that, he doesn't feel special any more? If I hadn't looked that up, I wouldn't have known at all. If you'd told me that he'd lost to Dolph Ziggler six times, I'd probably have believed you. It's all meaningless.

10 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

I absolutely agree but I think having a full time Champion will potentially give the shows some structure and focus which might improve them a bit. If the past few years have shown anything it's that it makes the months when everyone knows Brock won't be around feel completely meaningless. Then to fill up the gap they just put Stephanie on TV loads...and no one wants that.

I’d not expect a great deal more focus or structure - I’d like to see it, but I don’t think the belt alone will bring it. The title being there helps focus writing one storyline, but everyone else (and potentially even the title feud anyway when it’s Rollins) will just be in the rematch cycle. The only person escaping that is Braun, and that’s because he’s trusted more to flip cars than work matches.

Potentially, we just lose the months that Brock’s around feeling important, rather than all the other months gaining importance.

• Paid Members

Brock Lesnar is above being on Raw every week, pissing about with the likes of Corbin, Lashley and Finn Balor. He's still a bigger star than the rest of that roster primarily because he, and the championship, aren't there that often. 

Sure, the title being on the show each week might give the show more focus, but these days it'll likely make that title feel a whole lot less important too. If Brock drops the belt, then when you see the Universal title, you aren't going to be seeing it around the waist of the biggest star - instead it'll be tied to someone that's likely to be going 50/50 with Dolph Ziggler in two months time. 

The champion shouldn’t be on TV every week, they’re supposed to be the attraction that you get people to part with their money to see.

Thats not to say that there shouldn’t be references to him or video packages of him training or something like that on the show, or other people saying that if they get a few wins behind them then that will push them towards towards title contention. The goal of everybody should be aiming to fight the champion, and keeping the champion away from the show every week and makes those times that they do appear then mean something.