The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Fuck's sake. I was so excited about Triple H vs. Batista and then they flushed it all away by chatting about Ric Flair burying his son. Fuck offffff. How can they still not read the crowd with stuff like this? Dean Ambrose's career nosediving because he wouldn't shut up about Roman's leukemia was literally weeks ago. How tone deaf have you got to be to not sense the way it sucks the air out of everyone? You could hear a pin drop for the rest of Hunter's promo.

Sure, the Russo stuff that followed was terrible too, but who cares at that point? Once you've made a storyline note out an actual young lad's untimely death there's no fun to be had. I switched it off at that point. I'm practically obsessed with Becky Lynch and I'm probably the world's biggest Shield mark, but even I couldn't stick around after that. Get to fuck, you backwards weirdos.

Edited by Supremo

8 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Fuck's sake. I was so excited about Triple H vs. Batista and then they flushed it all away by chatting about Ric Flair burying his son. Fuck offffff. How can they still not read the crowd with stuff like this? Dean Ambrose's career nosediving because he wouldn't shut up about Roman's leukemia was literally weeks ago. How tone deaf have you got to be to not sense the way it sucks the air out of everyone? You could hear a pin drop for the rest of Hunter's promo.

Sure, the Russo stuff that followed was terrible too, but who cares at that point? Once you've made a storyline note out an actual young lad's untimely death there's no fun to be had. I switched it off at that point. I'm practically obsessed with Becky Lynch but even I couldn't stick around after that. Get to fuck you backwards weirdos.

Stunning that was. HHH is the fucking babyface as well! This is why we get Baron Corbin in multiple segments every week. There's heat then there's "Get to fuck" and to them it's no different.

• Paid Members

The irony is that the best heel heat of the show was Batista goofing about on Instagram, saying he wasn't appearing live because he just didn't fancy it, and they completely undermined that with Triple H going, "LOL, stop trying to be a baddie." Mind-blowing.

2 hours ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Not official, but Meltzer mentioned that there has been discussion of Roman Vs. Corbin at Mania.

Poor bastard.

I don’t see how it’s not Ambrose. Surely Dean turns on them again at Fastlane and then Roman kicks him out of the territory at mania. 

7 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Absolutely no chance, it's a triple threat match.

It’s the most likely it’s been that it might not be a triple threat, having just positioned Ronda as the heel. I can still see it being Charlotte/Asuka and (perhaps naively) hope it goes that way. Their match last year wasn’t set up or made clear until Fast Lane, could see that being mirrored this year. Throwing Asuka into the mix from ‘Mania could give them like 6 months worth of big PPV matches between those four. Yeah, I’m definitely being naive actually.

The Shield have become WWEs nWo. So many re-runs now, none of which have hit the mark. I don’t need to see those lads together anymore. Roman is 10 times the star of the other two.

It's fucking wretched. I'm absolutely fed up with the concept of this "worked shoot" bollocks. They're so far past the point of trying to build up an angle through storyline and investment, they literally only care about getting a pop through someone stepping outside of the kayfabe world. It's no surprise that the more they try and pander to the smark community, the more the product falls off a fucking cliff. It's Batista vs Triple H for fucks sakes! At their biggest show of the year! The fact that it took them a week to turn this simple build between two superstars into "Paul Levesque hurr Richard Fleiher, this isn't a storyline" is turgid, and demonstrates the sheer laziness of this writing team.

Fucking Braun, man.

Steph’s promo at the end...started off sounding like she was praising Ronda and  finished it sounding like she was pissed at her. 

What a fucking mess. But we’ll still watch again next week as it’s Mania season and the bellend writers know that so they put even less effort in than they do for the other 9 months of the year. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, that's the killer for me. It's Triple H and Batista. Within the fictional universe of WWE there aren't many pairings with more kayfabe history to draw from in order to build up a Wrestlemania match. 

From Triple H giving Batista his big break in Evolution, the split leading to Wrestlemania 21, Batista returning and then quitting Evolution after their feud with the Shield, the Smackdown segment last year where Batista joked that Hunter had never beat him, even the way Batista has gone on to make a huge mainstream name for himself in some of the biggest movies of all time outside of WWE. You're spoilt for choice in terms of what to base this feud on. And they went with real names, dead kids and insider newz.

I nearly fell off my chair when Hunter referenced, "everyone," knowing about Batista having a sulk on because they blanked him for the last few years when he wanted a final Wrestlemania match. Other than losers like me nobody knows about that. What next? Tell him not to bring Sid's scissors to your legit~! fight?

They couldn't have a worse read on their audience. The very reason people watch pro wrestling is for the huge, larger than life superstars. The reason Batista fighting Triple H at Wrestlemania is so exciting is because it's two of the biggest stars, with all this canon historical significance, clashing on the biggest stage. The moment you go, "you won't be fighting the character!" you piss all of that away. Now you're just two old, injury-prone blokes trying to pretend your fight is real on a show where every other fight is fake. And then it's not as if these are the type of lads to go out there and have a convincing worked shoot fight. There'll be Irish Whips in no time flat.

When Ronda went all Russo last week on Twitter and Becky had to break the fourth wall and make a joke of it I had visions of someone like Vince or Hunter blowing a gasket at how bad Ronda's instincts were, likely DM'ing Becky to try and get it back on track. The last thing I ever would've imagined is both of them looking at that and thinking, "Genius! This gives me a great idea! Remember when Reid Flair died of a heroin overdose?"

Edited by Supremo

Have i misunderstood the situation with the Raw womens title? Its vacant so Becky will wrestle Charlotte at Fastlane, if Charlotte wins she gets Rhonda at Mania but if Becky wins then its a triple threat? So it doesnt matter if Charlotte wins or loses at Fastlane shes still in the match at Mania?

That dude from SNL using the F word seriously bothers me. Just....NO!

5 minutes ago, rollthedice said:

Have i misunderstood the situation with the Raw womens title? Its vacant so Becky will wrestle Charlotte at Fastlane, if Charlotte wins she gets Rhonda at Mania but if Becky wins then its a triple threat? So it doesnt matter if Charlotte wins or loses at Fastlane shes still in the match at Mania?

That dude from SNL using the F word seriously bothers me. Just....NO!

That’s it yeah.

All of Ronda’s focus has been on Lynch for months and now she’s turned heel Charlotte is just a spare part in this feud. Honestly, this build is so bad it could end up hurting both Flair and Lynch once it’s over.

• Paid Members

I was watching that Triple H promo and thinking "this isn't that bad". Then that ending happened with him going on about big Dave going against the man and not the character, which took all the air out of the story Triple H did a good job of telling.

The opening part of the promo about Richard Realname was fine. It set up how much Ric Flair means to Triple H and how Batista attacking him was such a huge bit of lovely shithousery. Real name and dead son and near death are hardly ideal, but it was to highlight their very real bond and create a bit of sympathy for Ric.

The wee digs about Batista being a diva were perfect. All good, then "it's a shoot shoot brother".

Shame.

Hopefully big Dave saves this by coming out in a skin-tight all leather number next week (shades on, obvs).

So Ronda drops the belt as a protest because Becky isn't getting the title shot she deserves... and now because the title is vacant Steph decides Becky is now eligible for a title shot out of the blue and she's getting it at Fast Lane?

In Kayfabe terms why didn't Steph just apologise to Ronda and book her vs Becky at Fast Lane?! Why is this all of a sudden so damn complicated?!

49 minutes ago, Love-Wilcox said:

So Ronda drops the belt as a protest because Becky isn't getting the title shot she deserves... and now because the title is vacant Steph decides Becky is now eligible for a title shot out of the blue and she's getting it at Fast Lane?

In Kayfabe terms why didn't Steph just apologise to Ronda and book her vs Becky at Fast Lane?! Why is this all of a sudden so damn complicated?!

It's not vacant, Ronda is still champion, Steph gave the belt back to her

I may be in the minority, but up until that final line about it all being fake, I thought Michael Che and Colin Jost were playing a blinder. I mean, backstage skits and being in front of the crowd are two different things, but compared to how Jon Stewart looked in most of his segments over the years - and I was always a huge fan of his - I thought Jost was doing a great job. I actually look forward to seeing more of him as the dumb heel.

Almost everything else was pretty rough this week, except the fact that they didn't let Roman come in and take the shine off Seth. They played it safe and smart. I really do feel like, cancer survivor or not, the WWE live crowd are only ever a hair away from booing Roman. Having him get involved in the Universal title scene before 'Mania would have split them, I'm sure. Maybe not enough to be instantly vicious, but enough that, in the coming weeks, Roman's reaction would start regressing to the norm drip by drip. As much as the Raw women's title situation is an absolute mess, it feels to me like they've actually learned from it and want to spare Roman what's happened to Ronda and Charlotte. I mean, Seth isn't Becky popular, but he's popular enough that some people would kick off about him being screwed out of his big moment and half-blame Roman. Until 'Mania has passed Roman should be an undeniable, feel-good babyface. I can even see why people were saying he might be in line to face Corbin - because NO-ONE would cheer for Corbin. Put him in against other potential opponents - Ambrose, Strowman, Elias, Lashley, McIntyre - and I wouldn't be shocked if some in the crowd cheered against him.