DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Angel has Fallen was stupid but it was certainly watchable even if I really hated London has Fallen and Gerard Butler is one of my least favourite leading men, he also looked terrible in it. The first big action attack scene was great, really brutal, Danny Huston is in it for some added value and Nick Nolte is really great and is 90% what my dad is like which I enjoyed.

• Moderators
On 8/26/2019 at 12:17 AM, FelatioLips said:

Stranger Things.  

Reveal hidden contents

Will Byers is awful and I want to shout at the tv every time he appears and someone doesn’t just kill him. I’m only near the end of Season 2 but he’s an absolute burden that has long overstayed his welcome. I know he’s a kid, but he’s a strong contender for punchable faces too.

He's a turd and I never need to see another close up shot of him rubbing his neck, but this is in the wrong thread.

• Paid Members

Went to see the premiere of the new Rabid, remade by the Soska sisters, as part of Frightfest last night.

It's decent and well-made, but it never got into the kind of gear that would have made it kick for me. Enjoyable enough, looks good, well-enough acted, but not a stand-out.

What might be of interest to people here is CM Punk being in it. He's not a lead character by any means - more an extended cameo. He gets pretty much the coolest moment of the film (his second scene), and mostly comes across fairly well as a misogynist douche. Again, fun enough, although not a stand-out either.

Considering he was in two films (his first two?) in the same festival, it was a bit of a downer that he didn't come across for them.

xSJRfUW.jpg

Italian rip off of Predator.....but with a robot instead. Yes, you read that right. Rip off legend Bruno Mattei brings us another Italian bootleg of an American action blockbuster. It's fun. I always have a blast with these Italian knock offs in their downright cheek and it's always gets a smirk when you watch and play guess that scene.

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, zep81 said:

xSJRfUW.jpg

Italian rip off of Predator.....but with a robot instead. Yes, you read that right. Rip off legend Bruno Mattei brings us another Italian bootleg of an American action blockbuster. It's fun. I always have a blast with these Italian knock offs in their downright cheek and it's always gets a smirk when you watch and play guess that scene.

It also stars Reb Brown, who's always value for money in this stuff. Love this film.

Parasite

I watched this after being glued by the trailer, it also won a prestigious award at Cannes, it really is a wonderful film which kept my attention through out the 2+ hours, should definitely be up for an Oscar in 2020, trailer below.

• Paid Members

Dora was great, really well paced and fun, I've never seen the cartoon but even I could tell the throwbacks to it were cool and cleverly done. I loved the Swiper, I was really chuffed when he appeared because I was already enjoying it but wasn't expecting anything that far out. It made me cry with laughter in one bit and also has a scene of a teenage girl taking a dump, truly something for everyone.

image.png

Did someone say Rambo II? No? Good, because there was never an official sequel to Rambo, so this was made. True fact.

Reb Brown is back again in the lead role in another Bruno Mattei inspired take on a popular American action movie. Once again, just like Robowar, I had a blast with this. You know what you expect from these films so you can't really try and judge or rate them the same way you would Hollywood films. Low bugdet, naff acting but fuck it you have some fun with it. You play the 'oh I know where they're going here as I'm sure I've seen it in another movie :D'.

Lots of shooting, explosions and screaming throughout.

Another fun romp.

giphy.gif

Edited by zep81

• Paid Members

The Bloodstained Butterfly. Is an Italian Giallo from 1971. As a massive slasher fan I was hoping for a tame bit of black gloved stalk and slash considering its 15 BBFC rating. 

It's much more a procedural that leans more on melodrama (maybe not enough though) than suspense or horror.

Kills happen off screen and it mainly follows the investigation into the murders and potential suspects rather than victims.

There are lengthy court room sequences for instance that are thankfully broken up by the aformentioned melodrama and flashbacks

Having said that I did enjoy it. It's beautifully shot and the Blu-ray is gorgeous.

61VZWs2DeFL._SX342_.jpg

Edited by DEF

In Fabric

It's like if Dario Argento made Are You Being Served? Pretty enjoyable if not really fucking weird. Lovely to look at with some beautifully framed shots in it. My girlfriend hated it as she said it was like a fever dream which is a pretty accurate description to be fair.