DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

Fuck off with your apostrophe first!

Anyway. Yeah. Franco is a total turd. For starters it should be obvious to anyone that has seen a film he's in that he can't act for shit.

He thinks he is deep and mysterious, but really he's just dumb, kinda like his character in Freaks and Geeks (I think that show is to blame for tricking people into thinking he was good)

I bought his book because it was

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members
Fuck off with your apostrophe first!

:laugh:

I'm going to see how many people complain about it not realising it's a gag before I change it.

Yeah, I don't know anything about Franco at all but if his documentary about Kink is any good then he'll be alright with me.

Anyone seen Heavy Metal (1981)? What a psychedelic dose of action and fantasy that was. A series of short stories from vastly different settings all tied together by a central artefact. Each of the stories was awash with colour, bizarre creatures and characters, fair doses of female nudity and even the odd bit of shagging.

HEAVYMETAL_zpsdcfbd342.jpg

Taarna: Warrior chick from the final scenes

I thought this was absolutely brilliant, being a fan of other, more mainstream 80's fantasy animation works such as the Thundercats TV series, etc. It was just completely outside the box, and was almost entrancing, in that you find yourself amazed by the colours and settings but with absolutely zero idea of what is coming next.

Does anything else even remotely close to this exist? I want more, NOW.

• Paid Members

I watched Senna today.

It was really interesting, particularly considering there was very little speaking in it, and a lot of just clips from his life. I'm not sure how it equates to non-F1 fans, but I really enjoyed it.

• Paid Members

Watched a documentary on Netflix last night called The Bridge.

This is a documentary exploration of the mythic beauty of the Golden Gate Bridge, the most popular suicide destination in the world, and those drawn by its call. Steel and his crew filmed the bridge during daylight hours from two separate locations for all of 2004, recording most of the two dozen deaths in that year (and preventing several others). They also taped interviews with friends, families and witnesses, who recount in sorrowful detail stories of struggles with depression, substance abuse and mental illness.

Certainly worth a watch, but the voyeuristic nature of this got a bit too much for me at times. I think I must've paused this three or four times for 10 minutes or so before resuming. Very good, but avoid like the plague when you're dealing with the emotional hangover.

I saw one about a suicide hotspot in Japan a few weeks ago. Think I may have mentioned it in the documentary thread actually. Here it is on youtube for those interested, they actually find a still clothed skeleton in the video.

There's loads of interesting shit in those short Vice documentaries on youtube.

I watched Senna today.

It was really interesting, particularly considering there was very little speaking in it, and a lot of just clips from his life. I'm not sure how it equates to non-F1 fans, but I really enjoyed it.

I watched it about 6 months ago, Im not an F1 but I really enjoyed it and found it quite touching as a whole. A really well put together piece in my opinion and worth a watch for anyone, not just F1 fans.