DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I'm waiting for a remedial who usually can't spell to come along and go "HUH HUH YEH RONG APOSROPHE PLACING!" It gets me through the day.

I watched The Offence last night (see sig). I've decided that Sydney Lumet is a better director than Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola and it's about time he was recognised as such. This is a great film. Sean Connery as a mental-case CID sergeant beating up child molesters and being told to shut up by Trevor Howard. Lovely.

Edited by Gladstone Small

• Moderators

Oh yeah.. I got so worked up about that earlier I forgot to mention the film I watched.

I went to the BFI at the weekend and saw a film called Maluala. It is a Cuban film from the 70s and is about runaway slaves who made their own settlements, and the evil Spaniard slavelords trying to get them back under control.

It was part of this series they call African Odyssey and was shown back to back with a documentary (more on this in a minute). It was very interesting in the context of the topic they were discussing and the opening introduction the guy gave: he spoke about how history tends to treat slavery as a thing that happened to Africans, but doesn't really tell it from a point of view of their active participation as much. i.e. they were slaves and then they were freed.

Barring US Civil Rights discussion (which only gets as much prominence as it does because of how hard some organisations in the US actively push this agenda) I would tend to agree with the point they were making. Not much gets made in the telling of the history of the violent struggle from slaves at every step on the way - numerous uprisings, and how many of these runaway slave camps there were in so many areas.

Anyway, back to the film. Interesting historically, yes but not a classic film. The music, on the other hand, was fucking great! Composer by the name of Sergio Vitier and it mixed traditional African vocal stuff with some Cuban rhythyms, all with a kind of spaghetti Westerns soundtrack kinda style. Very cool. Need to check more of his shit.

On this point, the documentary* was a short film about one of these established, closed runaway slave communities in Colombia (called Palanques there). Anyway, so this place is thought to be the very first one, and pretty much the only one that is still going.

So it's a totally closed community in Colombia that preserves its African traditions and heritage. As a result of having developed insularly over this amount of time it's a really unique place. The documentary was a quick job made on the side of the real project which was to go and build a recording studio in the town for these people to preserve the music of their culture.

The music recorded has since had worldwide distribution on Soul Jazz.

* I've forgotten the name of the documentary. I think it might just have been "Palenque".

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Evil Dead (2013) - It is fucking insane! There are sly nods to the originals, but for the most part, it's its own movie and is an intense a horror experience as I've encountered in all my years. I was so skeptical and disgusted over this movie initially, but over the last few months - and since the red band dropped - I have gladly ate shite pie.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

It's premise is not your typical 'horny cunts go cabin, unleash heck' story. There's a good reason for them being there - with one being a junkie - and although the dialogue can be a bit jarring (which is to be expected from Cody), once the story opens up, Necronomiconically(?) speaking, it just gets so intense, gory and just brilliant, that I really didn't want to it to end. It literally rains blood when the movie peaks and I nearly drowned the cunt in front of me by means of nerdgasm for the surprise during the post credits sequence.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();
Edited by Scott Malbranque

had an early shift so decided to do a double bill of new films.

Started with The Incredible Burt Wonderstone which was a little formulaic, a typical american comedy. Though Jim Carrey really shines as the Cris Angel style antagonist. and Steve Buchemi is in it, and he is incapable of making poor films.

Followed it up with Welcome to the Punch which for me, was one of the better British crime films ive seen in a long while. Again you kind of know where the story is going if youve seen any press on the film, but the performances from Mcavoy and Strong, and the dynamic between their characters, along with some wonderful looking cinematography make it a much watch for any crime film fans.

hoping to see Maniac and Last Exorcism part 2 this week as well.

• Paid Members

Halloween 2 certainly has its own fan base. Enough to warrant two seperate Blu-Ray releases within a year of each other in the US by two different companies. Critics rarely like slasher movies. Especially not sequals to maybe the best ever. Personally I'm a bit indifferent to to it. I like it and it has its moments but its nowhere near the best of the subgenre or the bad but some how great ones. I'm a bit slasher obssesed and have 130 on Blu-ray. In a bid to build the ultimate slasher BD collection. But don't intend to double dip for the up grade.

• Paid Members

EDIT - Stupid phone double post. Sorry.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members

Has anyone watched Welcome to the Punch yet? Hearing good things about it, but i dont know if it'd be my cup of tea or whether i could take the fella off Starter for 10 seriously in an action role (i'm aware he's done others, i havent watched any for similar reasons).

• Paid Members

I agree 100%. For me the Funhouse never kicks into gear properly. Weirdly its got a massive fan following which is just inexplicable to me. With the exception of the fun shower scene opening and end final ten minutes it plods along at a snails pace. The Funhouse has so much potential that I'd love whole heartedly for it to get a remake. No doubt critics would bury it but it would be hard to make it less good than the original.

On a side note Richie, I really enjoy your reviews. Keep them coming.

Edited by DEF

• Paid Members
Has anyone watched Welcome to the Punch yet? Hearing good things about it, but i dont know if it'd be my cup of tea or whether i could take the fella off Starter for 10 seriously in an action role (i'm aware he's done others, i havent watched any for similar reasons).

Give it a go, seriously Arnie. I've seen it twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. It's reminiscent of early Woo. Best compliment I could give it, and the fucking shape Strong is in at his age is ridiculous.